Who is your surprise superbowl contender?

Talk about everthing NFL, HERE! NFC East Rants, NFL discussions, all in one!
silverspring
Code Talker

Who is your surprise superbowl contender?

Postby silverspring » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:25 pm

It appears like there are a lot of very good teams this year. Who are your league wide superbowl contenders?

I am going to go with a wild card. Carolina Panthers. They made some improvement on oline which was desperately needed and they gave Newton some weapons. Most importantly, they brought in Norv Turner. Hated him as a HC, but I think he is going to do wonders for newton as a coordinator.

Skins-R-Us
Owner

Re: Who is your surprise superbowl contender?

Postby Skins-R-Us » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:44 pm

I'm going super wild card and super homer pick(someone has too). Redskins, baby! Made some awesome defensive additions, Alex Smith will be a difference maker and the WR's are actually going to catch balls this year. I like our RB and we are going to stay healthy. We are gonna be that surprise team this year. We are also gonna steal some inertia of the Capitals SC victory.
"Winning off the field since 1999" Bruce Allen

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:11 am

I kinda like LA Chargers. They lost a lot of close, weird games early last year but were playing pretty well through Dec/Jan. Their D is solid, Rivers is far and away the best QB in that division and they've drafted pretty well, so if they can get more from their receivers then that's a solid roster. In that division, all the turnover in KC I think steps them back, Denver is still rebuilding and I'm not sure Keenum has the same weapons and Oakland has question on D, skill position turnover and whether or not Gruden is playing an old style that might not work. I think the AFC top to bottom isn't as strong as the NFC either, so sneaking through might be easier on that side.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:13 pm

Moe wrote:I kinda like LA Chargers. They lost a lot of close, weird games early last year but were playing pretty well through Dec/Jan. Their D is solid, Rivers is far and away the best QB in that division and they've drafted pretty well, so if they can get more from their receivers then that's a solid roster. In that division, all the turnover in KC I think steps them back, Denver is still rebuilding and I'm not sure Keenum has the same weapons and Oakland has question on D, skill position turnover and whether or not Gruden is playing an old style that might not work. I think the AFC top to bottom isn't as strong as the NFC either, so sneaking through might be easier on that side.

Got to be one of Rivers' last shot at it. Maybe.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:34 pm

Have to the the B&G cheerleader, so I'm going with Redskins vs Jaguars . Jags might not be too much of a stretch @ 18-1, but Redskins are @ 100-1.
Another team I think improved are the Bears ( added a lot to the offense, need to look at their D more though for me to push them ). The NFC is just going to be a brutal hell to get through. Chargers have a shot to have a good season.

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:58 pm

silverspring wrote:Got to be one of Rivers' last shot at it. Maybe.

You'd think, but he was #2 in passing yardage last year and top 10 is most every other QB stat. He just keeps chugging along and with some help, I think they could jump.

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:03 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Have to the the B&G cheerleader, so I'm going with Redskins vs Jaguars . Jags might not be too much of a stretch @ 18-1, but Redskins are @ 100-1.
Another team I think improved are the Bears ( added a lot to the offense, need to look at their D more though for me to push them ). The NFC is just going to be a brutal hell to get through. Chargers have a shot to have a good season.

I like what the Jags did this off-season but I wonder if that D can get the same up front production as last year, because if not then that puts a lot more pressure on Bortles and I think he's patently average at best. They were a statistically weird team last year and I'm not sure they get the same breaks again this year.

I think the Bears are making smart moves also, but the NFC North is just really tough top to bottom and I think even though they'll be better their record might not reflect that improvement.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Moe wrote:I like what the Jags did this off-season but I wonder if that D can get the same up front production as last year, because if not then that puts a lot more pressure on Bortles and I think he's patently average at best. They were a statistically weird team last year and I'm not sure they get the same breaks again this year.

I think the Bears are making smart moves also, but the NFC North is just really tough top to bottom and I think even though they'll be better their record might not reflect that improvement.

Agree, the less they need to rely on Bortles, the better.

Bears really added some firepower to their offense, but agree with you, tough division..as are all 4 in the NFC in my eyes.

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:52 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Agree, the less they need to rely on Bortles, the better.

Bears really added some firepower to their offense, but agree with you, tough division..as are all 4 in the NFC in my eyes.

Bortles is a bit of a wild card. The optimist would say he is still young enough where he could take a big step forward. He certainly has a lot of experience and some stability in an offense.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:55 pm

silverspring wrote:Bortles is a bit of a wild card. The optimist would say he is still young enough where he could take a big step forward. He certainly has a lot of experience and some stability in an offense.

Definitely a wild card, who knows. Just from listening from a handful of sports radio segments, lots of guys seem to be hyped up on the Chargers being a top team. Casserly thinks we could have a top level offense, assuming health etc. Combine that with what should be a decent defense, at least on 7/25 things look at least a touch optimistic.

Farmer Ted
Squaw Chaser

Postby Farmer Ted » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:58 pm

It must be nice rooting for a team that gets bailed out by the Refs literally anytime that they need it, as opposed to having the refs step up and screw your team anytime they make a good play. The pats got so much home cooking in that game, it was disgusting. It was like their first SB against the Rams, when their secondary could do anything they wanted to the Rams receivers. They got called once tonite for holding, but they were interfering on practically every pass play. And good god, that holding call on the center when Gurley had a big run was just the kind of BS that the Redskins have dealt with for the last decade. That was so frustrating to watch. I hate the NFL, it can eat a huge D.

Return to “Navajo All NFL Tribe”