perine in the first pre season game??

Your new Redskins Fan Forum, Come on in and join the TRIBE! All REDSKINS, all the TIME!
User avatar
kbg
Brave
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm
Contact:

perine in the first pre season game??

Postby kbg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:40 pm

it seemed as though he did not do too much (did anyone?) but a bit early to get worried.
but what really did concern me was that, according to the NFL site, he was credited with a tackle. so it appears that they are using perine on defence?
why on earth? assume it will not happen in the regular season. so why on earth would you risk the bloke? the absolute best outcome is that he doesn't get injured. i see no upside.

OCREDSKINSFAN
Buck
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Age: 69
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby OCREDSKINSFAN » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 am

kbg wrote:it seemed as though he did not do too much (did anyone?) but a bit early to get worried.
but what really did concern me was that, according to the NFL site, he was credited with a tackle. so it appears that they are using perine on defence?
why on earth? assume it will not happen in the regular season. so why on earth would you risk the bloke? the absolute best outcome is that he doesn't get injured. i see no upside.


Probably special teams, e.g., punt coverage, or a tackle after an interception..

User avatar
kbg
Brave
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby kbg » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:23 am

OCREDSKINSFAN wrote:Probably special teams, e.g., punt coverage, or a tackle after an interception..


any of those would make some sense but the report i was following had it as a tackle within a set of downs.
i have copied it below. you can see the 3rd and 4 play below. now, assuming not a misprint, to me, this suggests that perine was playing as a defender - i'd guess ILB, possibly safety. or thereabouts. i cannot make sense of it. were we so short of defensive players that he had to fill in?
early in the 4th quarter but that should not make any difference.
i'd love any thoughts (or explanations) anyone might have because it seems incredibly irresponsible by the coaches unless they have decided that he is not working out?

Baltimore Ravens at 14:04
1-10-BAL 20 (14:04) 33-T.Mizzell right guard to BAL 24 for 4 yards (48-L.Trail; 45D-P.Robertson).
2-6-BAL 24 (13:25) 33-T.Mizzell left end to BAL 26 for 2 yards (78-J.Mbu; 45D-P.Robertson). Zach Vigil (WAS) injured on play.
3-4-BAL 26 (12:50) (Shotgun) 1-J.Woodrum scrambles up the middle to BAL 39 for 13 yards (32-S.Perine).
1-10-BAL 39 (12:08) 33-T.Mizzell left guard to 50 for 11 yards (35D-D.Phillips).
1-10- (11:27) 33-T.Mizzell right guard to BAL 49 for -1 yards (55-C.Carter).
2-11-BAL 49 (10:42) 1-J.Woodrum pass short middle to 88-Q.Adeboyejo to WAS 37 for 14 yards (25D-F.Smithson)

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Code Talker
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 am

It may have been new S Tim Scott...he also wears #32. But for the record, Perine would be interesting as an ILB :)

lavar703
Buck
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby lavar703 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:48 am

He'll settle in. He just seemed to be a bit overwhelmed. He's going to get better and better.

Warpath23
Hunter
Posts: 818
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:48 pm
Age: 43
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby Warpath23 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 am

I wasn't to high on the drafting of Perine but OK with it because we missed on Cook and Mixon. Perine might develop with more reps but I'm not satisfied with any of our RBs on the roster. If I were in front office I'd contact the Bengals and see what they want for Jeremy Hills. The drafting of Mixon makes him expendable.

OCREDSKINSFAN
Buck
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Age: 69
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby OCREDSKINSFAN » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Warpath23 wrote:I wasn't to high on the drafting of Perine but OK with it because we missed on Cook and Mixon. Perine might develop with more reps but I'm not satisfied with any of our RBs on the roster. If I were in front office I'd contact the Bengals and see what they want for Jeremy Hills. The drafting of Mixon makes him expendable.


Agree except for Thompson, who is an excellent 3rd down back. Other RB's seem no better than mediocre and have no sizzle.

lavar703
Buck
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby lavar703 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:06 am

Warpath23 wrote:I wasn't to high on the drafting of Perine but OK with it because we missed on Cook and Mixon. Perine might develop with more reps but I'm not satisfied with any of our RBs on the roster. If I were in front office I'd contact the Bengals and see what they want for Jeremy Hills. The drafting of Mixon makes him expendable.


I like Perine but we basically had him on the roster already in Kelley. We needed an every-down back with explosiveness but we went the lunch pail route again. I still think Perine is going to be a good RB though.

Warpath23
Hunter
Posts: 818
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:48 pm
Age: 43
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby Warpath23 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:41 am

lavar703 wrote:I like Perine but we basically had him on the roster already in Kelley. We needed an every-down back with explosiveness but we went the lunch pail route again. I still think Perine is going to be a good RB though.

Exactly why I wasn't high on drafting him, same player as Kelley. We should make a move but I know that's not going to happen.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Code Talker
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:57 am

My guess is that they went with Perine thinking that he would help in short yardage/goalline/RZ situations. He did things in that game the other night that I didn't see him do in college..hesitate/dance etc. I think the coaches will get him back on path. I cant imagine that Perine was pleased with his performance one bit..just doesn't strike me as the type who settles for less than top effort. As far as the draft, I was pulling for Mixon, who ended up being drafted 1 pick before us in the 2nd. So far though, I am happy with Ryan Anderson in the 2nd..but I wonder if Mixon was a target at all?

User avatar
AustinSkin
Cherokee
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:28 pm
Age: 56
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby AustinSkin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:47 am

Perine will develop into an excellent back. The one play that I really liked in the preseason game was a pass play where he moved up in the pocket looking for someone to block. Nobody came up the middle, so he peeled back and picked off the edge rusher coming in on the blind side.. Nice awareness.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Code Talker
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:29 am

AustinSkin wrote:Perine will develop into an excellent back. The one play that I really liked in the preseason game was a pass play where he moved up in the pocket looking for someone to block. Nobody came up the middle, so he peeled back and picked off the edge rusher coming in on the blind side.. Nice awareness.


I believe so too. I meant to give him more props on his blocking, he had 2 really nice plays...but the one you mentioned was almost vet-like. I can see them using him as a bowling pin/FB from time to time.

Warpath23
Hunter
Posts: 818
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:48 pm
Age: 43
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby Warpath23 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:00 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:My guess is that they went with Perine thinking that he would help in short yardage/goalline/RZ situations. He did things in that game the other night that I didn't see him do in college..hesitate/dance etc. I think the coaches will get him back on path. I cant imagine that Perine was pleased with his performance one bit..just doesn't strike me as the type who settles for less than top effort. As far as the draft, I was pulling for Mixon, who ended up being drafted 1 pick before us in the 2nd. So far though, I am happy with Ryan Anderson in the 2nd..but I wonder if Mixon was a target at all?
Yeah if I remember correctly the Bengals traded up ahead of us to grab Mixon but I don't think Allen would have touched him anyway. I get really frustrated with teams that act like you can plug anyone back there and it's OK. It eventually rears it's face at some point. I would seriously think about moving Breeland for a back if Fabian M. develops fast these next couple of weeks.

silverspring
Brave
Posts: 1262
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby silverspring » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 pm

I am excited about Perine, but I wouldn't write off Rob Kelley so easily. He seems to be the forgotten man. As a rookie, he had 600 yards and 6 TDs in 9 game starts. That isn't bad considering he rarely played 3rd down and operated on a pass heavy offense that isn't the best at run blocking. Maybe he tails off, but what if he improves?

The question I have about the running game isn't personnel, but rather did Gruden and Callahan take a hard look at his crappy run offense from the last several years and revise it? Not only do we need different style of plays other than up the middle, we need to not be so obvious about run plays vs pass plays.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Code Talker
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:06 pm

We still need to see better cohesion between Long-Lauvao or whoever is C-G before we can really determine what major weaknesses are there. As Sprinkle gets more and more comfortable as a blocking TE for us, that should help overall too. Another thing that will help the run game is having the quartet of Pryor/Doctson/Crowder/Reed on the field, in any combination. For reference, Gurley looked like crap last night and had a fairly meager year last year....but I think he is a pretty decent rb. You still need a supporting cast usually unless you are some freak like Barry Sanders.

OCREDSKINSFAN
Buck
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Age: 69
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby OCREDSKINSFAN » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:07 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:We still need to see better cohesion between Long-Lauvao or whoever is C-G before we can really determine what major weaknesses are there. As Sprinkle gets more and more comfortable as a blocking TE for us, that should help overall too. Another thing that will help the run game is having the quartet of Pryor/Doctson/Crowder/Reed on the field, in any combination. For reference, Gurley looked like crap last night and had a fairly meager year last year....but I think he is a pretty decent rb. You still need a supporting cast usually unless you are some freak like Barry Sanders.


Agree - huge risk for a defense to blitz with that quartet on the field.

User avatar
Skins-R-Us
Owner
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:38 pm
Age: 52
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby Skins-R-Us » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:31 am

Cooley said a lot of the problems Perine had were due to missed blocking assignments. Its hard to run when you are getting hit in the backfield. Perine will be a good back, we just need to give him some time to acclimate.
"Winning off the field since 1999" Bruce Allen

User avatar
Moe
Hunter
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby Moe » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:37 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:We still need to see better cohesion between Long-Lauvao or whoever is C-G before we can really determine what major weaknesses are there. As Sprinkle gets more and more comfortable as a blocking TE for us, that should help overall too. Another thing that will help the run game is having the quartet of Pryor/Doctson/Crowder/Reed on the field, in any combination. For reference, Gurley looked like crap last night and had a fairly meager year last year....but I think he is a pretty decent rb. You still need a supporting cast usually unless you are some freak like Barry Sanders.

Agree and you also have to factor in that 1) first game is bound to have miscues, 2) they don't game plan, just run their play list and 3) B'more had a very, very strong D last year and should be similarly strong this year, so they simply made solid plays. I think Perine will be worked into situations behind Kelley, but he's a better athlete and I think his overall skill set will eventually bump him up the depth chart. I hope that the coaches put more emphasis on the team playing more physically aggressive, and starting against a D like the Ravens should give them plenty of points of criticism to work on.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

ILikeSonny09
Buck
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:04 am
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:45 am

Moe wrote:Agree and you also have to factor in that 1) first game is bound to have miscues, 2) they don't game plan, just run their play list and 3) B'more had a very, very strong D last year and should be similarly strong this year, so they simply made solid plays. I think Perine will be worked into situations behind Kelley, but he's a better athlete and I think his overall skill set will eventually bump him up the depth chart. I hope that the coaches put more emphasis on the team playing more physically aggressive, and starting against a D like the Ravens should give them plenty of points of criticism to work on.


First few series Balt just stacked the box, wouldn't keep that up in a regular season game against our starters. Then some 2nd/3rd string OL played badly, with a mix of being overpowered, poor blocks, or what looked to be confusion: particularly, it seems to me, I. Williams, Kalis, Catalina, Painter. More than once the RG helped the C double team one DT while the RT took the DE leaving the in between DT completely unblocked- in pass blocking. Was that Roullier/Patrick calling the wrong blocking assignments? Thought Nseke looked good and that Arie and Roullier did all right. But otherwise, all of our RBs suffered from the bad blocking- it's telling to me that Perine's best run came on a sprint to the outside where he just beat the defense and the play hardly depended on blocks being carried out.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Code Talker
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:57 am

I thought Painter looked terrible. AK wasn't all that much better either, I think he is in big trouble. Roullier looked decent, anchors fairly well. Hopefully one of the other young guys steps up to make the 53, and another 2 hit the PS. Of the young guys, I think Kalis has the best shot, but still a big work in progress. On the PS, im fine with a couple of the big guys, any combo of Catalina/Kling/Bowen ?
Game 2, my OL focus is going to be on the Long/Lauvao cohesion or lack there of. If it gels, the run game should be ok. Callahan probably wasn't all that happy the other night, even with Ravens throwing stunts etc at us.

User avatar
Moe
Hunter
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby Moe » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:03 am

^^Yeah, it seemed the pressure was almost strictly coming through the OG/C gaps, some of that was guys getting beaten but it looked like an awful lot of them not recognizing what Baltimore was throwing at them, mostly with stunts. But, that's what the PS is for and we should expect to see that improve as PS moves along.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

silverspring
Brave
Posts: 1262
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby silverspring » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Why they decided to stick with Lauvao and not even bring in a proper vet center is beyond me. Not many choices out there now. Maybe we should kick Lauvao to the curb, take his salary and give it to Branden Albert to play LG.

User avatar
kbg
Brave
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby kbg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:24 pm

i only started this thread because i wondered about him being recorded as part of the defence. certainly not to dump on the guy.
and after a single practice game, i think this is way way too early to be down on the guy. i am very hopeful we have a good one. to me, the only negative so far is that he is a little bit too similar to what we already had, but i expect him to be our number one RB by end of season or next year at least.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Code Talker
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:41 pm

kbg wrote:i only started this thread because i wondered about him being recorded as part of the defence. certainly not to dump on the guy.
and after a single practice game, i think this is way way too early to be down on the guy. i am very hopeful we have a good one. to me, the only negative so far is that he is a little bit too similar to what we already had, but i expect him to be our number one RB by end of season or next year at least.


Like I wrote above, that tackle was actually made by the other #32 on the team, Safety Tim Scott...who was actually cut yesterday. No way will they risk him outside of possibly special teams?

User avatar
kbg
Brave
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby kbg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:49 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Like I wrote above, that tackle was actually made by the other #32 on the team, Safety Tim Scott...who was actually cut yesterday. No way will they risk him outside of possibly special teams?


apols, i did see your post and thanks for that. i always assumed that there was some typo or error in the site that posted that original info. unless there was something weird happening.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Code Talker
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: perine in the first pre season game??

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:56 pm

^^ yeah, I took a guess at first, and then I saw the snap breakdown from the Ravens game and saw Scott listed with 1 tackle.


Return to “Cherokee All #Redskins Tribe”

Who is online

Users browsing this Redskins forum: No registered users and 2 guests