Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Your new Redskins Fan Forum, Come on in and join the TRIBE! All REDSKINS, all the TIME!
Skins-R-Us
Owner

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby Skins-R-Us » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:27 pm

ILikeSonny09 wrote:Haha, I see. I get the "Surely one of these two guys ought to be able to win the job" idea. But I'd argue that it just doesn't work that way, that they are more of what we already have enough of. Neither of these guys is immediate starting material. I'd expect that Kouandjio and Catalina, by virtue of having been through our camps and offseason program multiple times, have a nearly insurmountable advantage over these newcomers. For that matter, the guys we picked up for our LG carousel during this past season are similarly advantaged by having already been acclimated to the pro level via some other teams' camps/OTAs, already know our playbook, and have actually started for us in regular season games. But we need a LG who is so clearly better than guys we've been developing or picked up in desperation that all of the advantages mentioned above aren't enough to offset his higher quality- and for that you'd better tweak your value metric enough to take the stab NLT Rd 2. If you don't, you get guys such as Leribus and Long in Rd 3. Moses (also Rd 3), is regressing and Roullier still has question marks Right now we have two olinemen who are unequivocally Good-or-Better, and they were both 1st Rd picks. We need a plug and play LG by end of Rd 2, not another project or two. Edge, WR, ILB, CB; whatever has to wait has to wait. Obviously, if we trade for a quality starter before the draft, I'll relent. Now, it is clearly possible that the Organization actually DOES think K and C, along with Carter and the rest of the Guard mob, are enough of a core that a genuine LG starter will emerge and stay healthy. If I don't see any urgency in our FA, draft, or trade activity then I'll just have to hope they're right: pretty sure I'll find some satisfaction in our other acquisitions.

I do hope a better scenario happens during our draft and we get a difference maker at G. Just in my mock it didn't work out, again limited or unrealistic options for trade backs etc. But I agree with you actually on all points. That position has been a liability for far too long.

Funny actually, In most of these mock drafts Cody Ford is still available at 15. I think that would be a definite value pick.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/
"Winning off the field since 1999" Bruce Allen

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:46 pm

HaHa signed with Chicago, no terms yet.

DJ Fluker and Iupati both signing with Seattle, fwiw.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

ILikeSonny09
Squaw Chaser

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:52 pm

Moe wrote:HaHa signed with Chicago, no terms yet.

So, complete waste of a 4th rd pick, and now we likely have to waste a good pick on another S when we don't have enough good picks as it is. Moe, any optimistic take on this beyond would have been too many $ tied up in the S position?

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:01 pm

$3.5 mill for a year??
so we really did not want him. if we could not match that, we were not interested.

ILikeSonny09
Squaw Chaser

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Well, seems as though the Patriots consider Maurice Harris a better fit for their system than we were able to make him fit ours, LOL.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:15 pm

some strange stuff going on. surprised we let harris go. i did see a very speculative report that we might go big on AJ Green. probably heard worse ideas and it would explain the seemingly indifferent attitude the FO has to some of our WRs.
the haha exit baffling. i assume we were not asking him for a one year prove it deal, which the bears have got, very cheaply. surely we could have at least matched that. which says that we never had the slightest intention of resigning him, or the long term we offered was not close to what he wanted, or he simply wanted out. what a waste of a fourth.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Skins-R-Us wrote:I do hope a better scenario happens during our draft and we get a difference maker at G. Just in my mock it didn't work out, again limited or unrealistic options for trade backs etc. But I agree with you actually on all points. That position has been a liability for far too long.

Funny actually, In most of these mock drafts Cody Ford is still available at 15. I think that would be a definite value pick.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/

Ford would be a nice pick, he is on my short list of guys I really want fi we stay and pick at #15.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Ford would be a nice pick, he is on my short list of guys I really want fi we stay and pick at #15.

a non-exciting but potentially very valuable pick. him or a top rusher. unless someone like white falls.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:35 pm

kbg wrote:a non-exciting but potentially very valuable pick. him or a top rusher. unless someone like white falls.

You basically read my mind, IF we stay at #15 : Ol Cody Ford, ILB Devin White, Edge Brian Burns would be my 3 positional wants. Now if somehow a monster like Quinnen Williams fall then I might jump on him. Any trade back I would consider would have to still keep us no worse than #20, maybe #22? It would alos have to net us a couple of good picks...and then I would target either top WR or OL at 20 or 22, assuming Brian Burns didn't fall otherwise he would be the pick. ILB I would look at round 3 or 4 and try to get Khalil Hodge. The extra picks in rounds 2 and 3 would add offensive weapons and an edge rusher.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:38 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:You basically read my mind, IF we stay at #15 : Ol Cody Ford, ILB Devin White, Edge Brian Burns would be my 3 positional wants. Now if somehow a monster like Quinnen Williams fall then I might jump on him. Any trade back I would consider would have to still keep us no worse than #20, maybe #22? It would alos have to net us a couple of good picks...and then I would target either top WR or OL at 20 or 22, assuming Brian Burns didn't fall otherwise he would be the pick. ILB I would look at round 3 or 4 and try to get Khalil Hodge. The extra picks in rounds 2 and 3 would add offensive weapons and an edge rusher.

happy with all that.
that said, i have the feeling that the FO has something else in mind pre the draft, which might change all this. we may not have as many picks by the draft.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:57 pm

kbg wrote:happy with all that.
that said, i have the feeling that the FO has something else in mind pre the draft, which might change all this. we may not have as many picks by the draft.

Good point, pick might go to Rosen and/or one might go to the Cincy WR. Either way, I just want good talent on the team. WR has been ugly, but I have cautious optimism with Robert Davis and Cam Sims, and still think Doctson hasn't been played properly...but this is his last shot assuming we don't throw him in with any trades we might do.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:58 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Good point, pick might go to Rosen and/or one might go to the Cincy WR. Either way, I just want good talent on the team. WR has been ugly, but I have cautious optimism with Robert Davis and Cam Sims, and still think Doctson hasn't been played properly...but this is his last shot assuming we don't throw him in with any trades we might do.

would not be at all surprised to see doctson traded.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm

kbg wrote:would not be at all surprised to see doctson traded.

In that talk at #15, OL Jawaan Taylor or Jonah Williams would have to be tossed into the mix too. I like Doctson, but if we traded him for an upgrade, then yeah I'm all for it.
At WR we need a guy that can take it to the house, prospects like Marquise Brown, Parris Campbell among others...take that 4yd pass 75yds to the endzone. On the outside, we need a guy that can take the top off..even if only to open up the underneath routes. We do have Richardson, but a bigger target would be nice, which is where maybe Robert Davis shines. He was looking good before the injury.
Bottom line: on offense I want scary weapons on the receiving end combined with a punishing run game . AP/Guice is a nice potential tandem, now add another beast on the OL + a monster blocking TE. At TE, maybe Flannagan can be that guy, plenty of size plus he can actually catch, but I honestly haven't seen enough of him, but Cooley is really high on him. Sprinkle hasn't been used correctly either, but maybe if they move on from Vernon Davis he gets more opportunities to show what he can do while getting into a rhythm??
On D : I love the DL, just want to add a fast edge rusher to compliment Kerrigan on the ends. After that, I want guys with speed that can tackle. Hope that's not asking for too much haha.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:46 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:
On D : I love the DL, just want to add a fast edge rusher to compliment Kerrigan on the ends. After that, I want guys with speed that can tackle. Hope that's not asking for too much haha.

agree with all that, but what i fail to understand is that if haha went for that sort of money, why we didn't grab him. now, for me, we have a need at edge and also another safety.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 pm

kbg wrote:agree with all that, but what i fail to understand is that if haha went for that sort of money, why we didn't grab him. now, for me, we have a need at edge and also another safety.

Sounded like he wanted to play next to Eddie Jackson who he went to school with, and also the Bears D with Fangio. We probably offered more, I heard that he had a higher offer out there so I assumed it was us. As far as safety, I like Nicholson but hope he keeps his head on straight, Apke will still probably be a work-in-progress and maybe working with new DB coach Ray Horton will help them both. In FA, I think Tre Boston is still available but I might be wrong on that...if out there I would at least bring him in for a visit. I like a couple of the safety prospects this year but honestly think our early picks need to go elsewhere, but wouldn't hate a guy like Chauncey-Gardner.

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:30 pm

Moe wrote:Silverspring- if nothing else comes from this off-season you can rest easy now that Phil Taylor had decided to retire :)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... etirement/

He saved us from ourselves :)

I am glad to see HaHa sign with Bears. I think there is opportunity at FS on our roster currently or a draftee and collins gives us a cushion.

Really would like to see us pursue Chris Hogan. We desperately need one reliable WR.
We also might want to look into Kalil, if we can get him for backup money.

I know everyone will complain about Snyder, but honestly I think it is a great story and enjoyed it.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2626 ... lor-jersey

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:29 pm

silverspring wrote:
I know everyone will complain about Snyder, but honestly I think it is a great story and enjoyed it.

yes, definitely a nice touch.
read elsewhere that every time he saw doc andrews, he asked him to have a word in dan S's ear about getting to the skins. love that.

fanfromarizona
Squaw Chaser

Postby fanfromarizona » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:37 pm

kbg wrote:$3.5 mill for a year??
so we really did not want him. if we could not match that, we were not interested.

That is not what I read. He wanted to play along with his buddy Eddy Jackson.
He had better offers on the table he turned down.
Janky Spanky.

fanfromarizona
Squaw Chaser

Postby fanfromarizona » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:40 pm

kbg wrote:would not be at all surprised to see doctson traded.

The article I read today talking about trading for an AJ Green said that we were trying to trade Doctson LAST YEAR
Janky Spanky.

fanfromarizona
Squaw Chaser

Postby fanfromarizona » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:42 pm

kbg wrote:agree with all that, but what i fail to understand is that if haha went for that sort of money, why we didn't grab him. now, for me, we have a need at edge and also another safety.

Free agency is 2 days old, there are other options out that that might work at FS.

I doubt we will have a safety need by the time we reach the draft.
Janky Spanky.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:18 am

fanfromarizona wrote:That is not what I read. He wanted to play along with his buddy Eddy Jackson.
He had better offers on the table he turned down.

odd in itself. did the bears only offer a year? and he was playing with 5-6 of his mates from alabama i believe. very curious.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:18 am

fanfromarizona wrote:The article I read today talking about trading for an AJ Green said that we were trying to trade Doctson LAST YEAR

i guess that means not a lot of takers for doctson out there.

bigcmr
Squaw Chaser

Postby bigcmr » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:21 am

kbg wrote:$3.5 mill for a year??

That right there is why I hate trading future draft picks with out extending contracts. That was a total waste of a 4th round pick that we need. And to top it off since he signed such a cheap deal with Da Bears. We get screwed out of a compensatory pick next year.

Bad despite move by the FO trying to make the playoffs last year to save there jobs.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 am

bigcmr wrote:That right there is why I hate trading future draft picks with out extending contracts. That was a total waste of a 4th round pick that we need. And to top it off since he signed such a cheap deal with Da Bears. We get screwed out of a compensatory pick next year.

Bad despite move by the FO trying to make the playoffs last year to save there jobs.

i suppose (and this is really depressing), you could argue that the move worked. the FO is still there. they got what they wanted.

skins7ny
Squaw Chaser

Postby skins7ny » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 am

bigcmr wrote:That right there is why I hate trading future draft picks with out extending contracts. That was a total waste of a 4th round pick that we need. And to top it off since he signed such a cheap deal with Da Bears. We get screwed out of a compensatory pick next year.

Right. It really could not have worked out any worse. Also, I think that bringing in Clinton-Dix changed the chemistry of our defense, and it is not a coincidence that his arrival and our defense tanking happened at the same time. I think that trading for him told DJ Swearinger that they were going to pay HHCD before they paid him, and that didn't sit well with DJS despite all the talk of how he and HHCD were friends. This was DJS' defense, and then they bring in a guy at his position with the expectation that we were going to sign him to a big contract extension and maybe there would be no $$ room for DJS when his deal expired the following year. Things went south from there, and i don't think it was a coincidence.

ILikeSonny09
Squaw Chaser

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:47 am

kbg wrote:odd in itself. did the bears only offer a year? and he was playing with 5-6 of his mates from alabama i believe. very curious.

I wouldn't make too much of the "Alabama" connection, per se. Allen, Payne, Anderson, Foster and Hamilton were all 2017-2018 draft whereas Dix was 2014. The Bear's Eddie Jackson was a new CB while Dix was a star S as a junior, but both were from Florida- that might have prompted the friendship connection for the short time they were together at Alabama. I'm guessing they just clicked, but throw in Jackson's later conversion to S with Dix likely staying in touch and possibly mentoring, and you have the makings of a buddyship.

Interestingly, and surprisingly, Dix was the SS and Collins the FS at Alabama. From their pro careers you'd have guessed the other way around. Dix's final year, he was considered a consensus 1st round S, but half way through that season, Collins, who had been a top national recruit, replaced the injured FS and came on like gangbusters; after starting just 6 games Collins finished 2nd on the team in tackles behind C.J. Mosely. From that standpoint it was smart for Dix to opt for the 2014 draft after his junior year- his college career was at its zenith and why risk being eclipsed by Collins the next season?

One other notable fact (because inquiring minds want to know). Landon Collins was a two-way player in HS. As a senior, he rushed for 1,218 yards and 21 touchdowns while averaging 13.7 yards per carry. Holy Smokes!

ILikeSonny09
Squaw Chaser

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:12 am

ILikeSonny09 wrote:I wouldn't make too much of the "Alabama" connection, per se. Allen, Payne, Anderson, Foster and Hamilton were all 2017-2018 draft whereas Dix was 2014. The Bear's Eddie Jackson was a new CB while Dix was a star S as a junior, but both were from Florida- that might have prompted the friendship connection for the short time they were together at Alabama. I'm guessing they just clicked, but throw in Jackson's later conversion to S with Dix likely staying in touch and possibly mentoring, and you have the makings of a buddyship.

Interestingly, and surprisingly, Dix was the SS and Collins the FS at Alabama. From their pro careers you'd have guessed the other way around. Dix's final year, he was considered a consensus 1st round S, but half way through that season, Collins, who had been a top national recruit, replaced the injured FS and came on like gangbusters; after starting just 6 games Collins finished 2nd on the team in tackles behind C.J. Mosely. From that standpoint it was smart for Dix to opt for the 2014 draft after his junior year- his college career was at its zenith and why risk being eclipsed by Collins the next season?

One other notable fact (because inquiring minds want to know). Landon Collins was a two-way player in HS. As a senior, he rushed for 1,218 yards and 21 touchdowns while averaging 13.7 yards per carry. Holy Smokes!

Which, BTW, would Dix really want to- once again- risk playing in the shadow of that upstart S from Louisiana (oh-oh, Doug Williams) who just got an 84 million dollar contract and an autographed Sean Taylor jersey from the owner!? If I were Dix, I think I'd prefer to play lights out for the ascendant Bears and get my own 84 million dollar contract somewhere in 2020, HaHa.

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:31 am

ILikeSonny09 wrote:So, complete waste of a 4th rd pick, and now we likely have to waste a good pick on another S when we don't have enough good picks as it is. Moe, any optimistic take on this beyond would have been too many $ tied up in the S position?

Using HaHa's contract as a baseline, if the Skins want to got after an available FA safety then it won't cost much. I would've liked to see HaHa back but it's not a critical loss. I think he's a solid player but given the choice between a middling situation in DC or a change to play on a contender in Chicago...pretty easy call. Acknowledge and move on.

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Sounded like he wanted to play next to Eddie Jackson who he went to school with, and also the Bears D with Fangio. We probably offered more, I heard that he had a higher offer out there so I assumed it was us. As far as safety, I like Nicholson but hope he keeps his head on straight, Apke will still probably be a work-in-progress and maybe working with new DB coach Ray Horton will help them both. In FA, I think Tre Boston is still available but I might be wrong on that...if out there I would at least bring him in for a visit. I like a couple of the safety prospects this year but honestly think our early picks need to go elsewhere, but wouldn't hate a guy like Chauncey-Gardner.

Boston is still available, love to see them go after him. He has more picks over the last two years than all but 5 players and had the 15th best ranking for safeties by PFF last year on a fairly awful team. It's strange to me that SD in '17 and now Arizona are willing to walk from him after consecutive one year deals. He isn't real physical but he's a true FS and is has a record of play making.

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 am

silverspring wrote:Really would like to see us pursue Chris Hogan. We desperately need one reliable WR.
We also might want to look into Kalil, if we can get him for backup money.

I like Hogan, be good with that, also saw that Jordy Nelson was released yesterday. He isn't what he used to be but was sneaky good still last year, be a decent gap option (of course I'm sure Rodgers will want him back). Saw that the Giants signed Golden Tate to a 4 year deal...curious move.
I want no part of Kalil, he's terrible and injury prone.

Yes that's a good story, hope Collins is able to bring some of that nostalgia to the field over the next several seasons.

Return to “Cherokee All #Redskins Tribe”