Haskins Out As Starter-Here We Go Again?

Your new Redskins Fan Forum, Come on in and join the TRIBE! All REDSKINS, all the TIME!
kbg
Ghost Dancer

Re: Haskins Out As Starter-Here We Go Again?

Postby kbg » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:38 pm

this is getting to be a seriously confusing season.

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:54 am

kbg wrote:this is getting to be a seriously confusing season.

sorry mate - it's not getting to be ... it's been that way since the 1st week

25% OR 4 weeks into the season, we are 1-3 and we're a point from leading the NFC East - UNREAL
Hopefully, Dan Snyder will not interfere with the product on the field, he has gone back on his word many times.
Ron Rivera & the FO need time to rebuild the roster AND change the culture

HTTR

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:50 am

and now we have this 'report' that there is a chance Haskins will be traded ...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/stro ... hing-film/

we always seem to be in a wait till next season mode AND it never stops ...
Hopefully, Dan Snyder will not interfere with the product on the field, he has gone back on his word many times.

HTTR

34Drive
Squaw Chaser

Postby 34Drive » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:06 am

lavar703 wrote:Kyle Allen is terrible. Where in the world did you get “good” from?

Charlotte, NC. Kyle engineered a string of wins this past year despite the horrific OLine; despite the wideouts with brick hands and despite the lousy defense that gave up 10 points a quarter. He did have McCaffrey and Greg Olson.
“Randy, it’s coming at you.” Russ Grimm, 1983

Farmer Ted
Hunter

Postby Farmer Ted » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:05 am

I think he's probably done. They just said on the nfl network that he isn't even going to the game today. Not sure if that was his decision or management, but that's s a sign it's over, imo.

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:35 pm

Kyle Allen is only here as long as it takes to get someone who has a clue about preparing and playing the game - Dwayne Haskins is obviously not going to be our QB - Alex Smith is a really great 'story' but it's really hard to think that he can become a good QB again

Alex Smith will get a chance again soon not because he's very good but because Kyle Allen is not even a decent back-up QB

getting something for Haskins seems like the best path for both the team and the player

our QB situation is so bad we might want to consider Colin Kaepernick

HTTR

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:50 pm

Farmer Ted wrote:I think he's probably done. They just said on the nfl network that he isn't even going to the game today. Not sure if that was his decision or management, but that's s a sign it's over, imo.
NOT - that is fake news

the real reason is that he has stomach flu and both the team and his doctor want him to stay at home

HTTR

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Farmer Ted wrote:I think he's probably done. They just said on the nfl network that he isn't even going to the game today. Not sure if that was his decision or management, but that's s a sign it's over, imo.

I agree. This break up got ugly quick. Not sure what Rivera expected. They basically did a hit job on his character, handing out insulting tidbits to every reporter in town. It is a repeat of last year. I am sure Haskins is completely soured. Heck, if I am haskins' agent I almost tell him to be a problem now just to get out of there. Rivera has shown that he will just let guys go rather than try to extract value.

Very poorly handled situation by Rivera.

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:47 pm

silverspring wrote:I agree. This break up got ugly quick. Not sure what Rivera expected. They basically did a hit job on his character, handing out insulting tidbits to every reporter in town. It is a repeat of last year. I am sure Haskins is completely soured. Heck, if I am Haskins' agent I almost tell him to be a problem now just to get out of there. Rivera has shown that he will just let guys go rather than try to extract value.

Very poorly handled situation by Rivera.
That's a little harsh ...

I prefer to look at things positively - what's to be gained by looking at this situation that way

I guess we could get rid of these new guys and have Snyder take over again - YUK

HTTR

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:55 pm

RI Skins fan wrote:That's a little harsh ...

I prefer to look at things positively - what's to be gained by looking at this situation that way

I guess we could get rid of these new guys and have Snyder take over again - YUK

You can blind yourself to reality, but reality is reality. After the name debacle and then the work place harassment bombshell, I was just looking forward to football. But Rivera figured out how to somehow eclipse those with football drama.

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:41 pm

I'm not blind to reality - I just prefer a life that looks on the bright side than one that looks at this situation the way that you do - there was no way that this franchise was going to have a competitive football team this season

Ron Rivera is a huge upgrade over what we had - he & the front office are trying to fix the mess they inherited

we all know that we were most likely only winning 3 (maybe 6 if we're lucky) games

HTTR

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Thankfully Alex Smith is now playing QB - hopefully, he doesn't get hurt playing behind what is quickly establishing themselves as one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL - I think it's 6 sacks today and there are still 5 minutes to play in the 3rd qtr

HTTR

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:26 pm

RI Skins fan wrote:I'm not blind to reality - I just prefer a life that looks on the bright side than one that looks at this situation the way that you do - there was no way that this franchise was going to have a competitive football team this season

Ron Rivera is a huge upgrade over what we had - he & the front office are trying to fix the mess they inherited

we all know that we were most likely only winning 3 (maybe 6 if we're lucky) games

I was very much seeing the bright side when we hired Rivera. And Rivera is a huge upgrade, but he chose not to upgrade the team this offseason. And this is the result.

Then on top of that, he decided not to develop the qb. Maybe Haskins can't be developed, but we sure didn't try properly.
Rivera failed so far. Hopefully he changes his approach significantly, cause I think he is going to be here a long time.

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:35 pm

silverspring wrote:I was very much seeing the bright side when we hired Rivera. And Rivera is a huge upgrade, but he chose not to upgrade the team this offseason. And this is the result.

Then on top of that, he decided not to develop the qb. Maybe Haskins can't be developed, but we sure didn't try properly.
Rivera failed so far. Hopefully he changes his approach significantly, cause I think he is going to be here a long time.
not sure we all understand what happened with Haskins but it almost certainly is not because of the coaching staff. Ron Rivera and his FO are a huge upgrade over what we have had here since 1999

not sure why they did what they did but they will get things straightened out here

put another way, there's no way that we could have gotten better with Syder and Allen

HTTR

Farmer Ted
Hunter

Postby Farmer Ted » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:50 pm

silverspring wrote:You can blind yourself to reality, but reality is reality. After the name debacle and then the work place harassment bombshell, I was just looking forward to football. But Rivera figured out how to somehow eclipse those with football drama.

I hated the Haskins pick from the start for a variety of reasons, but the #1 reason (then and now) was that he was drafted on the recommendation of Dan Snyder's son, against the wishes of the front office and scouts. Just based on that, it was a wasted pick. I would have been ok if the Skins had just rolled him out there all season, but I'm happier to have him benched or gone.

I will be surprised if they get anything for him in a trade. If all they get is a conditional swap of 7th rounders, that is good enough for me.

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:01 pm

Farmer Ted wrote:I hated the Haskins pick from the start for a variety of reasons, but the #1 reason (then and now) was that he was drafted on the recommendation of Dan Snyder's son, against the wishes of the front office and scouts. Just based on that, it was a wasted pick. I would have been ok if the Skins had just rolled him out there all season, but I'm happier to have him benched or gone.

I will be surprised if they get anything for him in a trade. If all they get is a conditional swap of 7th rounders, that is good enough for me.
not happening ...

this franchise used to make a lot of stupid decisions - they are NOT going to evaluate Haskins or make decisions regarding the QB here based on anything more than what is in the best interests of the franchise

HTTR

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Farmer Ted wrote:I hated the Haskins pick from the start for a variety of reasons, but the #1 reason (then and now) was that he was drafted on the recommendation of Dan Snyder's son, against the wishes of the front office and scouts. Just based on that, it was a wasted pick. I would have been ok if the Skins had just rolled him out there all season, but I'm happier to have him benched or gone.

Well I was a drew lock guy, but I still had Haskins rated as a first rounder and I definitely think he was worth a shot with a mid first round pick where you don't have to trade anything. The only way to find a franchise qb is roll the dice and draft one and odds are you are going to have spend a first round pick. You got to play to win. I still think he has a very high ceiling, he probably won't get there as we ruined him, but he sure as hell has no chance of getting there without a coaching staff all in on supporting him.

I agree, we are screwed on trade value now. But it is likely we get a 5th rounder for him. I think we have better chance of swapping him with another team's failed project like Rosen or Darnold or Trubisky, etc.

kbg
Ghost Dancer

Postby kbg » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:31 pm

RI Skins fan wrote:NOT - that is fake news

the real reason is that he has stomach flu and both the team and his doctor want him to stay at home

the coverage i watched said he had rung in saying he did not feel well. stomach pains. team told him to stay home. but every time they mentioned it, they prefaced it with 'supposedly not well'. clearly they did not believe it. i have no idea if true or not but if i am the QB fighting for my job, or even a job, i am doing everything i can, which includes being a good team man and being on the sideline to support the team (if he thinks he has the virus, fair enough but you'd want to be sure).
to fold so quickly is very surprising. perhaps i am being unfair, but the optics, as they say, do not look good.
if i am another team, i would want him as no better than 3rd QB or possibly 2nd, if we are really weak or injured in that position. perhaps dallas will take him?
i think he is gone from here for certain.

Farmer Ted
Hunter

Postby Farmer Ted » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:43 pm

If he thinks he has the virus, he's obliged to find out, because it could affect the whole team and the Rams. It sounds like BS to me. I really think the writing is on the wall. Honestly, it was on the wall soon after he was drafted and the team said he was going to be a long term project.

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:10 pm

Dwayne Haskins will be a good QB in the NFL - it certainly doesn't look like that will happen here

the Redskins are going to be better next season ...
AND
the beat goes on

HTTR

Riggo
Squaw Chaser

Postby Riggo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:52 pm

silverspring wrote:I was very much seeing the bright side when we hired Rivera. And Rivera is a huge upgrade, but he chose not to upgrade the team this offseason. And this is the result.

I actually think he won't be here long at all. I am not one of his biggest fans, but RR probably was pressured by Danny Boy to start the season with DH. RR knew we were going to be a work in progress and DH was the franchise guy and needed the work. So he threw him to the wolves. The guy ain't ready. His work ethic seems a little lazy and coupled with his lack of experience and a porous Oline he was doomed to fail. yeah, the receivers ain't the best but you could win with them if you get the time. smurfs proved that long ago.

anyhoo, i think RR might have been horn swoggled by Dan. this has Dan fingerprints all over it. in the end RR will not get the time he has been promised to fix it. Dan is his own worst enemy. he can't help himself. he will be trying to hire Dabo in December.

kbg
Ghost Dancer

Postby kbg » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:10 am

Riggo wrote:I actually think he won't be here long at all. I am not one of his biggest fans, but RR probably was pressured by Danny Boy to start the season with DH. RR knew we were going to be a work in progress and DH was the franchise guy and needed the work. So he threw him to the wolves. The guy ain't ready. His work ethic seems a little lazy and coupled with his lack of experience and a porous Oline he was doomed to fail. yeah, the receivers ain't the best but you could win with them if you get the time. smurfs proved that long ago.

anyhoo, i think RR might have been horn swoggled by Dan. this has Dan fingerprints all over it. in the end RR will not get the time he has been promised to fix it. Dan is his own worst enemy. he can't help himself. he will be trying to hire Dabo in December.

he did leave gruden there for far longer than he should have. perhaps he has changed. i suspect he is as sick of losing as all of us and i doubt he really sees many other options. i suspect that no matter how badly they go, RR gets at least two seasons. if healthy.

Riggo
Squaw Chaser

Postby Riggo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:34 am

kbg wrote:he did leave gruden there for far longer than he should have. perhaps he has changed. i suspect he is as sick of losing as all of us and i doubt he really sees many other options. i suspect that no matter how badly they go, RR gets at least two seasons. if healthy.

or a season and half if he does not get busy in FA. Dan fired Marty after he finished the season 8-3 with the illustrious Tony Banks at QB. Marty was a winner everywhere he went. He fired him to hire the golf pro. The guy does not have an ounce of fb savvy, but the reason Gruden survived is that RG3 got hurt and he was able to get more out of the offense with Cousins (and the division sucked like this year), and we won the division. That season bought Gruden a lot of time, and Dan was just glad to be competitive again. Look at the Redskin HC List below that reflects complete and total mismanagement. There has been a ton of stoo-frigginpidity in the 21 years that Dan has owned this franchise.

Coach
Norv Turner 17-12 (7-7) 1-1 105
Good coordinator but a terrible HC, Snyder had him on the chopping block when he bought the team
Terry Robiskie 1-2 (1-1) 0-0 -27
Marty Schottenheimer 8-8 (4-4) 0-0 -47
Great coach who had bad luck in the playoffs. What if Dan had kept him around?
Steve Spurrier 12-20 (2-10) 0-0 -143
2nd most embarrassing period in Redskin history, he made us the joke of the NFL for two seasons
Joe Gibbs 30-34 (10-14) 1-2 -4
the ultimate team guy he brought respect back to the team. unfortunate that he had no one like Beathard to help him.
Jim Zorn 12-20 (3-9) 0-0 -101
most embarrassing period in Redskins history
Mike Shanahan 24-40 (9-15) 0-1 -250
Mr I am in total control got desperate and went all in on RG3 trying to win immediately. What a buffoon.
Jay Gruden 35-49-1 (12-21) 0-1 -317

Total 139-185-1 (48-81) 2-5 -784

Maddog97
Squaw Chaser

Postby Maddog97 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 am

I am not so sure if Haskins will be traded. If the stomach virus rumor is true then Rivera may be sitting him just to teach him the critical nature of hard work and study. He knows he will get little in trade value and he is probably not that confident in his other two QB's. Haskins, simply put, needs to grow up and be a professional.

Excerpt from WAPO:

When asked whether he has fielded any trade offers for Haskins or if the 2019 first-round draft pick had requested a trade in the wake of his benching, Rivera deflected.

“I’m not going to talk about football business,” Rivera said.

According to two people with knowledge of the situation, Rivera is not interested in trading Haskins at this point and hopes to continue developing the quarterback with the possibility of him returning to play later this year or next.

AD

Rivera reiterated his commitment to Haskins’s development Wednesday.

“This is an opportunity for him to continue to learn and grow and develop,” the coach said. “Again, as I said, I have not quit on the kid as far as his development.”
True change requires patience and fortitude!

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:59 pm

Maddog97 wrote:I am not so sure if Haskins will be traded. If the stomach virus rumor is true then Rivera may be sitting him just to teach him the critical nature of hard work and study. He knows he will get little in trade value and he is probably not that confident in his other two QB's. Haskins, simply put, needs to grow up and be a professional.

Excerpt from WAPO: When asked whether he has fielded any trade offers for Haskins or if the 2019 first-round draft pick had requested a trade in the wake of his benching, Rivera deflected.

“I’m not going to talk about football business,” Rivera said.

According to two people with knowledge of the situation, Rivera is not interested in trading Haskins at this point and hopes to continue developing the quarterback with the possibility of him returning to play later this year or next.

AND

Rivera reiterated his commitment to Haskins’s development Wednesday.

“This is an opportunity for him to continue to learn and grow and develop,” the coach said. “Again, as I said, I have not quit on the kid as far as his development.”

Thanks - I mostly agree with this PLUS we are not going to get much for him at this time and they know his potential

HTTR

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:20 am

RI Skins fan wrote:Kyle Allen gets a shot on Sunday - if that doesn't go well (and it most likely won't) they can then put in Alex Smith

nobody will play very well behind this O line - I'd be a bit worried about Alex Smith with Aaron Donald on the other side

Donald claims he was playing one on one on all those sacks. Do we really expect anyone on our oline to handle donald one on one? Rivera and turner need to wake up and look in the mirror.

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:43 am

silverspring wrote:Donald claims he was playing one on one on all those sacks. Do we really expect anyone on our oline to handle donald one on one? Rivera and turner need to wake up and look in the mirror.

agree - they have not done their jobs well since they came here

HTTR

RI Skins fan
Hunter

Postby RI Skins fan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Haskins needs to do whatever he can to show Turner and Rivera that he has the desire and drive needed to win the starting job back - IF he doesn't do that then he will not make it as a starting caliber QB in the NFL - this is all about working hard to make yourself better or your career in the NFL will not amount to anything

Based on who we had (Allen & Smith) Haskins was given an opportunity to show improvement - that did not happen and now he needs to work very hard to get another opportunity here - given who we have, this would still seem to be a good opportunity for him but he needs to prove he has what it takes to earn another shot at the starting job

HTTR

Maddog97
Squaw Chaser

Postby Maddog97 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:50 pm

silverspring wrote:Donald claims he was playing one on one on all those sacks. Do we really expect anyone on our oline to handle donald one on one? Rivera and turner need to wake up and look in the mirror.

Yeah, this is kind of stupid to go one on one with Donald.

Kyle needs to sit also. Alex Smith is the best option until Haskins grows up.
True change requires patience and fortitude!

Return to “Cherokee All #Redskins Tribe”