Larry Brown Hall of Fame

Your new Redskins Fan Forum, Come on in and join the TRIBE! All REDSKINS, all the TIME!
34Drive
Squaw Chaser

Larry Brown Hall of Fame

Postby 34Drive » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:29 am

I have said it for years but Larry belongs in the Hall of Fame. I don’t care about the numbers. I care about the man. Single-handedly a battering ram and put the Redskins in the Super Bowl through sheer determination. The whole Redskin community should get behind this effort. Gibbs should be an advocate. His 1972 Cardinals were absolutely torched by Larry Brown in both meetings. Charley Taylor. Hanburger. Houston. Dave Robinson and all who played with Larry. Especially Jurgenson.
“Randy, it’s coming at you.” Russ Grimm, 1983

Riggo
Buck

Re: Larry Brown Hall of Fame

Postby Riggo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 am

Yes Larry belongs in the HOF. But today's pantywaist NFL does not run the ball, and Larry is long an afterthought by the media and even most Redskin fans. The popularity contest that the HOF has become is shameful. Larry was passed by, and now in a different era he is all but forgotten. Sad as it is, he is not the only one. Jacoby and Manley among others.

34Drive
Squaw Chaser

Postby 34Drive » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:39 am

Anyone pre-Deon Sanders is an “old timer”. In the hearts of any DC fan, who sat in the cigar smoke of RFK during the great years, Brown was the heart and soul of the team. I will never forget the three New York games in 1972, or the NY Giants game in 1973. Or the game against Minnesota in 1975 when he ripped off a 50 yard run with four minutes to go.

ILikeSonny09
Hunter

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:06 am

Next to Sonny, Larry Brown is my all time favorite Redskin, followed by Charlie Taylor and Art Monk in a tie and then Darrell Green and Charles Mann. 1972 was the year I first followed pro football, and my interest was piqued by my brothers' sudden enthusiasm for the Skins. As a kid in King of Prussia, PA, we had Eagles living in our neighborhood, including Sonny at that time, and MLB Dave Lloyd lived two houses up. Sonny and Tommy McDonald pitched to 5 yr olds just starting out in baseball and Dad would see Sonny hanging out with friends at Perry's Delicatessen. Heck, we later lived in Cleveland when Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly played. Through all of that, my folks had no real interest in football. A few years later in Fort Hunt, the Over The Hill gang changed everything. Despite all the activities we were involved in with a family of five boys, Redskins games became the premiere family bonding event and Dad and Mom were right in the middle of it. There was something magical about it and it remains the fondest memory I have of that period in our lives, one my 95 year old mother can still converse with me about!

While I didn't like George Allen's "Three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad" philosophy, nor his obsession with starting Billy over Sonny when the latter was healthy (which had become all too rare by that point in Sonny's career), there was no question that Allen had accomplished something truly amazing and won over the whole city, myself included. And of course, the most thrilling performer was Larry Brown. To this day, more so than with any other NFL player, I can close my eyes and envision how Larry looked when he ran with the ball. There's no doubt he'd have surpassed Simpson in rushing in '72 had he not been rested the final game, and he fully deserved the league MVP Award he received.

It's a shame that injuries took such a heavy toll over the next several years, a function of Larry's play-with-abandon style and being run into the ground in Allen's offense. I know he'll never make the HOF short of them coming up with a special category for supreme players who's careers were cut short by injury, but he'd be a top candidate if they did. My favorite Redskin play will always be the pitch to Brown with Harraway sweeping out in front. And oddly enough, the Thanksgiving game against Detroit when both Brown and Harraway went over 100 yds will always rank as one of my most satisfying Redskin victories. With the advent of the internet, I've had my sons go back and watch his highlights so they get an appreciation for just how good he was, how entertaining he was to watch. They needed to know that the legacy of their own lifelong affection for the Redskins began with, as much as any, Larry Brown.

34Drive
Squaw Chaser

Postby 34Drive » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:33 pm

ILikeSonny that Thanksgiving I will never forget. My mom was hospitalized the whole month of October 1973 with a serious illness and she came home that month, three days before Thanksgiving. Watching the game was great. As to Larry, his numbers match the great Jim Brown’s for the first five years. Consider that Larry ran behind a very average OL and went a lot of transitions. Consider the left tackles Larry ran behind: Jim Snowden; Terry Hermeling; Jim Tyrer; Tim Stokes. Jim Brown was running behind four Hall of Famers!!!

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:36 pm

Would LOVE to see Larry Brown in the HOF. Him and Chris Hanburger were the 2 main reasons I became a Redskins fan between 1971-72. Brown ran violently, and was hit even more violently. I met him and got his autograph somewhere between 1973-1974...cant really remember exactly. I was living and raised in Albany, NY and he came and spoke at Siena College which was basically a suburb of Albany. No clue what happened to that autograph though, was lost either during one of my mom's frenetic cleaning moments or during one of my later moves?? Thinking of Brown made me go in search of this video again, which I am pretty sure I have posted here on more than 1 occasion. some exclusive Brown highlights in the first few minutes, then more throughout :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QI8s4XdLo

34Drive
Squaw Chaser

Postby 34Drive » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:20 am

The game is was different 1969-1977. The hash marks were not centered. Defensive linemen could slap hour head. Corners could chuck at the line and shut down a receiver with really vicious hits. Most importantly the knee surgeons in those days were fairly primitive in comparison to what is being accomplished in 2019. Larry never had the benefit or a really good O-line or modern knee surgery.

First an goal 32
Navajo

Postby First an goal 32 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:33 am

He should've been in a long time ago,maybe the toughest little running back in NFL history,Larry didn't run out of bounds he ran OVER YOU,the great Jim Brown gave Larry big props in his book..no.43-THE GREAT LARRY BROWN!!

34Drive
Squaw Chaser

Postby 34Drive » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:50 am

Does anyone remember this game? The Giants keyed on Larry and dared the Skins to run.
Attachments
2CFBCA44-3EA0-41A3-8888-49D2DCFA2B00.jpeg
2CFBCA44-3EA0-41A3-8888-49D2DCFA2B00.jpeg (34.19 KiB) Viewed 454 times

Return to “Cherokee All #Redskins Tribe”