Early 2018 Redskins 1st Round Prospects to Watch

Your place to comment and talk about the NFL Draft and all things related.
VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Early 2018 Redskins 1st Round Prospects to Watch

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon May 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Yeah this is really early, but seeing what we are adding to the team, I am looking for that next "enforcer" type player that puts us over the edge. I really like the "Ryan Anderson" type of player...and I have always liked those tough players. Jonathan Allen is going to be a force on DL, Anderson at LB, and possibly Swearinger at safety. Would really like to find that next "Mike Singletary" guy..not sure he is in this draft or not though..and definitely not sure if he is already on the roster but if so its Steven Daniels?? Here is a list of a few players that I can see us targeting in the 1st round in 2018 at a few positions ( from the big schools )..and I will be watching them, and many others, once football kicks off in a few months...heck, its already May :) If you have prospects that you think would be good to watch, list them.

Free Safety : a couple to watch

- Minkah Fitzpatrick Alabama 6'0" 203lbs 4.55
- Ronnie Harrison Alabama 6'3" 216lbs 4.59
- Derwin James FL St 6'3" 211lbs 4.52 ** technically a SS, big hitter

ILB: haven't found the GUY I want yet

- Kendall Joseph Clemson 6'0" 230lbs 4.6
- Azeem Victor Washington 6'4" 235lbs 4.74 a bit slower than I am looking for but Reuben Foster ran 4.72'
- Malik Jefferson Texas 6'3" 240lbs 4.68 been snakebitten by 2 TX LBs, maybe this guy breaks the cycle?

Edge/OLB : taken an OLB in the 2nd round a lot recently, speed rusher is always a want/need. Haven't found a Myles Garrett yet :)

- Byron Cowart Auburn 6'4" 250lbs 4.73
- Arden Key LSU 6'5" 255lbs 4.70
- Harold Landry BC 6'3" 245lbs 4.67
- Sam Hubbard Ohio St 6'4" 265lbs 4.65
- Tyquan Lewis Ohio St 6'3" 260lbs 4.78

Defensive Line : could possibly see Bruce Allen want to double-dip here, he has to be eating up the great reviews of getting Allen.

- DE Da'Shawn Hand Alabama 6'4" 282lbs 4.74 pair him with ex-teammate Allen..who ran a 5.0 ??
- DT Da'Ron Payne Alabama 6'2" 309lbs
- DT Christian Wilkins Clemson 6'4" 310lbs 5.0 have also seen him listed at 290lbs running 4.8 . Also from Clemson, even though he was a redshirt Freshman, Clelin Ferrill is one to watch..even just for fun.

Again, this is crazy early in the watch radar. Guys will rise, some will drop or get injured. At least when the games are on each Saturday, you have a few names to watch. I didn't list every possibly guy...just those I think will be or could sneak into Round 1 at all 3 levels of defense. If we need a QB, keep eye on Wyoming QB Josh Allen...we moved up a few spots on Saturday to take his Center, he could be on the radar??

kbg
Brave

Re: Early 2018 Redskins 1st Round Prospects to Watch

Postby kbg » Mon May 01, 2017 9:29 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote: Would really like to find that next "Mike Singletary" guy..not sure he is in this draft or not though..and definitely not sure if he is already on the roster but if so its Steven Daniels??

would love to have the next singletary but, and while i'd like to think daniels would become a contributor, not sure i'd have him on the same planet as singletary.
for me, 1st rounders are a complete non-issue for the skins until we sort out kirk. no kirk and we have a very different draft.
and while mocks are fun, they are so often fiction. not sure i saw any mock from any expert that had the bears move up a spot for a QB or allen fall to us. won't stop me reading them though.

silverspring
Brave

Postby silverspring » Mon May 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Quin Blanding S- Virginia guy. All around safety. Thought he was coming out this year and decided to stay in school. Probably smart move, I predict him to be a top pick now with the mass safety exodus.

You are absolutely right on to start scouting qbs. If Cousins doesn't have a deal in 60 days, this is it. Both allens (Josh Allen and Kyle Allen), Darnold, Falk....2018 actually has good qb prospects. Smart for us to wait. We might want to start figuring out how to trade up.
Bozeman- the center from alabama.
Crowder- the man beast guard from clemson.
Vita Vea nose tackle.

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon May 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Not saying Daniels would ever be Mike Singletary...but that type of player is what I am looking for. Plays mean, the kind of guy that you don't want to be hit by :) Yes, QB is the elephant in the room. Will cross that bridge when we get there.

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon May 01, 2017 9:34 pm

silverspring wrote:Quin Blanding S- Virginia guy. All around safety. Thought he was coming out this year and decided to stay in school. Probably smart move, I predict him to be a top pick now with the mass safety exodus.

You are absolutely right on to start scouting qbs. If Cousins doesn't have a deal in 60 days, this is it. Both allens (Josh Allen and Kyle Allen), Darnold, Falk....2018 actually has good qb prospects. Smart for us to wait. We might want to start figuring out how to trade up.
Bozeman- the center from alabama.
Crowder- the man beast guard from clemson.
Vita Vea nose tackle.

All good prospects, do you think they are all 1st round types?? I almost listed Vea, didn't want to go too crazy with a boatload of names..but I do like him.

kbg
Brave

Postby kbg » Mon May 01, 2017 9:46 pm

silverspring wrote: We might want to start figuring out how to trade up.

i do love optimism!
let's hope that we do have to trade up and not already there with an early pick.
but again, if we do have that successful season we hope we will have, you have to think that will help convince kirk to stay and the FO that kirk should stay.

silverspring
Brave

Postby silverspring » Tue May 02, 2017 12:04 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:All good prospects, do you think they are all 1st round types?? I almost listed Vea, didn't want to go too crazy with a boatload of names..but I do like him.

Pretty hard to tell. I only look at guys I like for the redskins so it is always tilted.
Blanding might end up top 5 if he has a good season.
A lot of these spots like Center, NT, G don't generally go to high. Tomlison proved that a NT can go pretty high. Pisses me off that the giants decided to value the position this year.

kbg wrote:i do love optimism!
let's hope that we do have to trade up and not already there with an early pick.
but again, if we do have that successful season we hope we will have, you have to think that will help convince kirk to stay and the FO that kirk should stay.

In terms of qbs, it is an interesting situation looking forward. This is all conjecture....but this year was likely the crappiest qb draft in years. All of them are deemed not pro ready. Yet 3 went in top 15 with all 3 getting massive trade ups that make the RG3 trade almost look sane. Next year we got legit prospects, I bet 5 go in the first round, although then I look at all the teams with young prospects now and wonder if the needy teams will reach or need to:
Rams-Geoff
Denver- Siemian & Lynch
Bears- Trubisky
Chiefs- Mahome
Texans -Watson
Browns-kizer
Cowboys- Prescott
Philly- Wentz
Tampa-Winston
Titans-Mariota
Vikings-Bridegewater

Then you got guys married to qbs:
Seahawks-Wilson
Patriots-Brady+ Garropolo
Colts -Luck
Packers-Rodgers
Panthers-Newton
Ravens-Flacco(2 more years still with huge cap hits)
Raiders-Carr

So who is left:
Redskins, 49ers, San Diego, Cardinals, Jaguars, Jets, Saints, Giants, Dolphins, Cincinnati, Steelers, Lions, Bills

Then you got Cousins and Stafford taking 2 of those spots

So about ten teams are unsure at qbs. I am sure a few will settle in like the Jets have some good prospects. Bortles might step up. A wild card like Kaepernick or Glennon could become a hit. And then like this year, a couple will stick with mediocre options. So say <7 teams really want a qb in the first 50 spots next year. Not as bad as this year. But there looks to be about 5 prospects better than all the prospects this year.

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Tue May 02, 2017 9:39 am

silverspring wrote: ....but this year was likely the crappiest qb draft in years. All of them are deemed not pro ready. Yet 3 went in top 15 with all 3 getting massive trade ups that make the RG3 trade almost look sane.

It's a good time to be the agent for a QB with even a modicum of talent, much less guys like Stafford and Cousins who are getting paid by someone.

So who is left:
Redskins, 49ers, San Diego, Cardinals, Jaguars, Jets, Saints, Giants, Dolphins, Cincinnati, Steelers, Lions, Bills

Then you got Cousins and Stafford taking 2 of those spots

Good breakdown, but I'd remove San Diego, New Orleans, NY, Cincy and Pitt from the immediate needs list. Several of them picked up depth and I think all will afford their starters a few more years.

So about ten teams are unsure at qbs. I am sure a few will settle in like the Jets have some good prospects. Bortles might step up. A wild card like Kaepernick or Glennon could become a hit. And then like this year, a couple will stick with mediocre options. So say <7 teams really want a qb in the first 50 spots next year. Not as bad as this year. But there looks to be about 5 prospects better than all the prospects this year.

Stafford (who I think in no way leaves Detroit), Cousins, Garroppolo and McCarron will get the most attention, which does reduce that number somewhat and then whomever they might bump from a team will make the rotation of vet backup QB's that someone will keep employing. All in all, I see less teams in need next year than what we saw this year, which might be good for the Skins both in terms of demand for Kirk (if it gets to that) and competition in the draft, although they'd likely still need to be/move into a position to get one of the blue chip prospects which is likely quite costly, as we've seen. The best case scenario to get one of them would ironically be for Kirk to fall flat and this team be horrible, which I don't want to see nor do I think happens. Worst cast scenario might be Kirk gets injured and muddies the water in all respects.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

Skins-R-Us
Owner

Postby Skins-R-Us » Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 am

Topic moved to draft section.
"Winning off the field since 1999" Bruce Allen

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue May 02, 2017 10:02 am

Skins-R-Us wrote:Topic moved to draft section.

^^ thanks for moving it, put it in the main section to get the discussion started

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu May 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Depending on how camp and the season play, which players get re-signed/free agency...looking at the roster, I have to think that :

1st Place : Speed Rusher goes top of the list for us as a "need"
2nd Place : enforcer at ILB ( kind of pulling for Harvey-Clemons possibly though ). Anderson is our enforcer on the edge but not speed type.
3rd Place : DL...looking at post 1, Wilkins or Hand would be my choice if none of the roster guys take the next step.
4th Place : Interior OL...lets see how LG shapes up. Will look at OG prospects soon. Got 2 in udfa that Callahan can work with.
5th Place : Safety...could probably put this up higher but for now, we have 2 young starters that have some skills.

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu May 04, 2017 9:00 pm

^^ some Centers and Guard prospects to watch ( potential rounds 1 or 2 ) :

Center :
Will Clapp C/G LSU 6'5" 310lbs
Scott Quessenberry C/C UCLA 6'4" 315lbs

Guards :
Quenton Nelson ND 6'5" 325lbs 1st rounder probably
Billy Price Ohio St 6'4" 315
Maea Teuhema LSU 6'5" 315lbs

Looks like there are a lot of good sized Guards in 2018, Center not as many/

silverspring
Brave

Postby silverspring » Mon May 08, 2017 12:57 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:^^ some Centers and Guard prospects to watch ( potential rounds 1 or 2 ) :

Center :
Will Clapp C/G LSU 6'5" 310lbs
Scott Quessenberry C/C UCLA 6'4" 315lbs

Guards :
Quenton Nelson ND 6'5" 325lbs 1st rounder probably
Billy Price Ohio St 6'4" 315
Maea Teuhema LSU 6'5" 315lbs

Looks like there are a lot of good sized Guards in 2018, Center not as many/

Frank Ragnow C Arkansas 1st round possibility

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon May 08, 2017 9:21 am

silverspring wrote:Frank Ragnow C Arkansas 1st round possibility

Will have to keep an eye on him and maybe a few others from Ark. Since 2014, we have drafted 4 guys from there : Hocker, Spaight, Mitchell, Sprinkle. As always the easy school targets are SEC ,Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12. At least that narrows it down to just over 40 schools...and focus on mainly Seniors and some juniors :) Cant find the ILB I am looking for just yet, a couple above, but will be more interested in the next "force" in the middle. Would love for Josh Harvey-Clemons to develop there, but think that might be a longshot. I've seen him listed anywhere from 212lbs to about 230lbs. If he is closer to that 230, he could probably add another 5lbs-8lbs of muscle by next year at his age without a problem, esp with a full season of NFL S&C. He isn't overly fast, but a solid trackler/hitter. Will still be looking for that next college guy though.

silverspring
Brave

Postby silverspring » Mon May 08, 2017 12:35 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Will have to keep an eye on him and maybe a few others from Ark. Since 2014, we have drafted 4 guys from there : Hocker, Spaight, Mitchell, Sprinkle. As always the easy school targets are SEC ,Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12. At least that narrows it down to just over 40 schools...and focus on mainly Seniors and some juniors :) Cant find the ILB I am looking for just yet, a couple above, but will be more interested in the next "force" in the middle. Would love for Josh Harvey-Clemons to develop there, but think that might be a longshot. I've seen him listed anywhere from 212lbs to about 230lbs. If he is closer to that 230, he could probably add another 5lbs-8lbs of muscle by next year at his age without a problem, esp with a full season of NFL S&C. He isn't overly fast, but a solid trackler/hitter. Will still be looking for that next college guy though.

I wouldn't get too excited, we are probably trading all our picks away to get a qb : :twisted:

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon May 08, 2017 5:03 pm

silverspring wrote:I wouldn't get too excited, we are probably trading all our picks away to get a qb : :twisted:

Really hope not. I still think a deal happens by 7/15 ( im probably 65-35 on that ). If not, I think we can grab a FA qb cheaper than the $28M tag would cost, and also not reach for a qb. I see us having a good season, so our draft pick will be around 20? Would cost a lot to move up into the top 10.

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon May 08, 2017 7:07 pm

If I had to make a Top 5 to watch that would help us ( basically right down the middle of the D once again) :

DL Christian Wilkins Clemson 6'4" 315lbs...can play all over the line

ILB Malik Jefferson Texas 6'3" 232lbs ...lets see how his 2017 season goes

S Derwin James FL St 6'3" 212lbs ...quick, has range/height/length ,

ILB Cameron Smith USC 6'2" 245lbs ...intuitive, tackles and can cover/intercept...just not sure he comes out in 2018 or not. Would be a nice choice though I think.

OLB Harold Landry BC 6'2" 250lbs ...not sure he transitions to ILB, but you can see where my focus is :)

It would be great if someone in-house can solidify a couple of positions, but these guys are on my watch list already.

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Until I see a solid choice manning the NT spot, it will be a main focus for me ( 2nd is ILB ). keep eye on Clemson's Christian Wilkins ( mentioned earlier here) and Washington's Vita Vea ( mentioned by Silverspring ) . Wilkins should be top-10, possibly top5 pick, Vea could fall into our wheelhouse though unless he just explodes this year. For fun, I did a 2nd round mock at Fanspeak. Round 1= Vea , Round 2 = Malik Jefferson ILB Texas. On paper, that could be a nice 1-2 punch. PS- they had us picking 16th in 2018, so I guess they think we will be worse??

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu May 25, 2017 8:28 pm

2018 ILBs, its looks like Malik Jefferson is moving to OLB. So my #1 guy to watch is USC Cameron Smith. After him, I will watch TJ Edwards WIS 6'1" 244lbs, Azeem Victor WASH 6'3" 239lbs, and from MI Mike McCray 6'4" 248lbs. Now if one or 2 roster guys step up, we might not use an early pick here..but if so, theses are my early radar guys.

silverspring
Brave

Postby silverspring » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:33 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:2018 ILBs, its looks like Malik Jefferson is moving to OLB. So my #1 guy to watch is USC Cameron Smith. After him, I will watch TJ Edwards WIS 6'1" 244lbs, Azeem Victor WASH 6'3" 239lbs, and from MI Mike McCray 6'4" 248lbs. Now if one or 2 roster guys step up, we might not use an early pick here..but if so, theses are my early radar guys.

Jerome Baker is another interesting guy. We will see if he can show another season at it. I think he is more of a 2nd rounder.

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:15 pm

silverspring wrote:Jerome Baker is another interesting guy. We will see if he can show another season at it. I think he is more of a 2nd rounder.

Will put him on my list, I see him listed at OLB..does he play inside too? ILB will be focus #1 for me..both this camp and college season.

silverspring
Brave

Postby silverspring » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:14 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Will put him on my list, I see him listed at OLB..does he play inside too? ILB will be focus #1 for me..both this camp and college season.

Yeah, but I think he translates to a ILB in the nfl. He is a smaller athletic linebacker who can cover and has speed. He is an off ball guy and won't be put up front battling with olinemen in the nfl.

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:29 pm

thanks for the update.

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm not looking too deep at TE at the moment, but the top 3 to watch at the moment all have decent size :

Mike Gesicki PSU 6'6" 252lbs
Mark Andrews OK 6'5" 253lbs
Troy Furnagalli WIS 6'6" 249lbs

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Some Big School Prospects in potential need areas and will update schools as I watch some games here in this thread. Also listed DBs even though it seems like we have some decent depth and youth at the moment. Feel free to add schools/prospects :

Alabama :
DL Da'Shaun Hand
DB Ronnie Harrison
Cb Minkah Fitzpatrick
DT Da'Ron Payne
ILB Rashaad Evans

Clemson:
DL Christian Wilkins
DL Clevin Ferrell
ILB Kendall Joseph

Florida St:
S Derwin James
NT Derrick Nnadi

USC :
ILB Cameron Smith

Washington:
ILB Azeem Victor
DL Vita Vea

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:20 pm

A few other players in potential positions of need, in no particular order ;

C- Billy Price Ohio St
Edge Rusher - Sam Hubbard Ohio St
WR- Christian Kirk Texas A&M
QB- Luke Falk Wash St
S- Ronnie Harrison Alabama
LB- Jerome Baker Ohio St

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Watched some of the Virginia/Boise St game last night, I really liked the way both LB Micah Kiser and S Quin Blanding play. Some good games setting up today, and still will be focusing on players on defense. Hoping that we get a Washington Huskie game today or next week, I want to see how DT Vita Vea is developing. TCU/OK St, Miss St/Georgia could be fun games to watch.

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:59 pm

Since we are coming off the bye, most of my watch list is still the same. Sure hope we can get a deal with Cousins, not overly impressed with the qb class, Darnold looks decent then makes horrible decisions. I think my top 3 qbs, in no order, are Rudolph/Falk/Mayfield..and maybe Browning close??

Some more names I could really like in the 1st:
offense=
G Quentin Nelson ( ND ) still..6'5" 330lbs..would LOVE to pair him at G with Scherff

RB Saquon Barkley ( PSU )..5'11" 223lbs....total package

TE don't think its a 1st round need, but Mike Gesicki ( PSU) 6'6" 252lbs

OT or C : just don't think we go there in the 1st round considering that we have Williams and Moses locked up with 2 young guys developing and possibly bringing Nsekhe back

defense:
DL Christian Wilkins ( Clemson ) 6"4 310lbs ...just don't think coaches are looking for that huge NT body type, but if so there are a few decent NT types. There are a couple of decent DE's coming out, but think that if we go DL that it will be another penetrating type ala Jonathan Allen.

ILB..give me any of Micah Kiser ( VA), Cam Smith ( USC ) or Kendall Joseph( Clemson...all might be 1st rounders, def gone by the 2nd round.

OLB/Edge : Harold Landry ( BC ) 6'3" 250 would be my pick. I just don't see us going this way at the moment, but he is probably the best rusher at olb.

DB's ; I really don't see us picking a CB or S in the first, but if we do..

SS: either Derwin James or Ronnie Harrison would be the targets

FS : Minkah Fitzpatrick( 'bama ) is the top guy, Quin Blanding ( Vir ) would be a day 2 target if we go that direction.

CB : another position I don't think we go early, but if so, top name is probably Tarvarus McFadden ( FSU )

Of the above names, give me Nelson or Wilkins to polish off either of the lines. If we avoid the lines, then I would be content with Kiser/Smith @ ILB. I would also have no prob with any of the S names, just not sure we go that route, kind of think the Swearinger/Nicholson combo can be a pretty good pairing...but through in a guy like Harrison or Fitzpatrick and they get closer to that Legion of Boom style.

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:45 am

Another fun day of college football. I think today, my focus will be mainly on ILB play and edge rushers. My ILB list is fairly tight though, so more time will be watching for any speed rushers. I am pretty locked in on my top target/s at LG, interior DL, secondary, qb. Next week, maybe start keying in on some weapons on offense..mainly wr/te and moreso TE's due to Reeds' health, Davis' age despite him playing like he is 25. Paul is a fa, Sprinkle still learning. Will look for both Reed-types and blocking TEs. Will put up a thread on some early FA targets/positions sometime this weekend..just to see who/what/potential $$ could be targeted or spent.

VegasSkinsFan
Ghost Dancer

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Here is my updated TE list. Putting those who can both block and catch at the top of the list, but not in any particular drafting order :

Hayden Hurst SC 6'5" 250lbs blocks and catches
Troy Fumagalli WIS 6'6" 248lbs 3 down TE, quick and can block..pro-style offense...probably my top choice?
Mike Gesicki PSU 6'6" 252'bs catch/block
Mark Andrews OK 6'5" 250lbs catches/quick
Caleb Wilson UCLA taller/faster Jordan Reed

Return to “Chippewa All Drafting Tribe”