Offseason plan

Your new Redskins Fan Forum, Come on in and join the TRIBE! All REDSKINS, all the TIME!
ILikeSonny09
Hunter
Re: Offseason plan

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:24 pm

RI Skins fan wrote:shame that Anderson didn't become the leader that he was at Alabama - he was the leader and brains on the field

You mean Dion-Hamilton? He was the brains of the Alabama defense. I understood Anderson to be a leader in the vocal/tenacious mold and he's on IR right now. Anderson clearly started coming on in 2019 and Rivera talked about them wanting to figure out the best way to use him. But with a crowded DE position it was difficult. If Kerrigan leaves, it looks to me as though Anderson's in a better position because he's a hard nosed, relentless player with the the sort disposition that appeals to RR and JDR both. JDR, I read before the season, likes fast OLBs with a lot of range, and that's not Ryan, so I imagine the DE rotation is where he's fit in as a special piece if they still want him as a role player. Remeber too that Brailford got poached off our practice squad (though we then did the same with a Viking, I think). I'm curious, going into season 2, whether they'd give some thought to moving Anderson to MLB where, while not fast, he may still have more speed than Bostic.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:00 pm

^^ I only like Bostic when he is attacking downhill. I think Anderson could do that, but he would be a huge liability in coverage. Not sure if we bring him back or not, but even so, he most likely would not be the answer. I love his game though, and he is a solid tackler who sets a very good edge...so its not like he isnt useful. Having said that, we need a Ray Lewis-type in the middle. The only guy in FA that fits that for me is Lavonte David. In the draft Micah Parson would be ideal, but no way do i see him falling to #19. Zaven Collins could be there though and I like him, otherwise we are probably looking at Round 2 for either Jabril Cox or Dylan Moses ? Barron Browning will probably be a 3rd rounder...and he would work if we also added a LB in FA. Not holding my breath, but having RFoster back at 100% would be a very nice gift this offseason. Lastly, I do think that JHC could offer value in a both a 4-3 and rover-type situation.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:17 am

Lots of talk about us adding a GM, here is my short list of the ones i like, in no particular order :

- Kyle Smith....pretty solid drafts under him, and finally had a decent free agency...really like him but putting him a slight notch behind a name or two below
- Joe Schoen.. i love what he has done in Buffalo via drafting and free agency. Probably my new #1 choice
- Ed Dobbs... cant argue with his results in Indy, he was my #1 a couple of years ago...probably #3 currently
- Ryan Cowden...seems to hold the exact same position as our Kyle Smith. I could see us hiring Cowden while also retaining Kyle Smith. I guess that could be the same under Dobbs or Schoen too. A Cowden/Smith combo is my #1B..and i might end up moving them up as my #1 choice.

Moe
Code Talker

Postby Moe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:24 pm

ILikeSonny09 wrote:You mean Dion-Hamilton? He was the brains of the Alabama defense. I understood Anderson to be a leader in the vocal/tenacious mold and he's on IR right now. Anderson clearly started coming on in 2019 and Rivera talked about them wanting to figure out the best way to use him. But with a crowded DE position it was difficult. If Kerrigan leaves, it looks to me as though Anderson's in a better position because he's a hard nosed, relentless player with the the sort disposition that appeals to RR and JDR both. JDR, I read before the season, likes fast OLBs with a lot of range, and that's not Ryan, so I imagine the DE rotation is where he's fit in as a special piece if they still want him as a role player. Remeber too that Brailford got poached off our practice squad (though we then did the same with a Viking, I think). I'm curious, going into season 2, whether they'd give some thought to moving Anderson to MLB where, while not fast, he may still have more speed than Bostic.

It's hard to know what they feel about Anderson. They talked him up a lot in camp and pre-season but there was a lot of chatter about him being trade bait and he was essentially hurt all year, so who knows? Your point about him possibly having a role should RK leave is interesting and I think might open a window for him.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

Moe
Code Talker

Postby Moe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:25 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Lots of talk about us adding a GM, here is my short list of the ones i like, in no particular order :

- Kyle Smith....pretty solid drafts under him, and finally had a decent free agency...really like him but putting him a slight notch behind a name or two below
- Joe Schoen.. i love what he has done in Buffalo via drafting and free agency. Probably my new #1 choice
- Ed Dobbs... cant argue with his results in Indy, he was my #1 a couple of years ago...probably #3 currently
- Ryan Cowden...seems to hold the exact same position as our Kyle Smith. I could see us hiring Cowden while also retaining Kyle Smith. I guess that could be the same under Dobbs or Schoen too. A Cowden/Smith combo is my #1B..and i might end up moving them up as my #1 choice.

Apparently they are going to interview Martin Mayhew and Cowden in the near term.

skins7ny
Hunter

Postby skins7ny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:10 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Lots of talk about us adding a GM, here is my short list of the ones i like, in no particular order :

It is interesting that with the 3,000 names being thrown around in interviews the past couple of weeks, neither Kyle Smith nor Jack DelRio has gotten a sniff. With JDR, the perception may be that he won't leave only one year in. It appears based on the evidence that we (and especially CSN) have been overestimating Kyle Smith attractiveness to other teams as a potential GM.

skins7ny
Hunter

Postby skins7ny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:15 pm

Moe wrote:It's hard to know what they feel about Anderson. They talked him up a lot in camp and pre-season but there was a lot of chatter about him being trade bait and he was essentially hurt all year, so who knows? Your point about him possibly having a role should RK leave is interesting and I think might open a window for him.
Anderson would be crazy to come back and i doubt Rivera will make a serious effort to re-sign him. Rivera and JDR barely played Anderson before he got hurt. I like Anderson, but he needs to go to a team that plays a 3-4 and allow him to build on the significant progress he was making in the last few games of the 2019 season, when he was getting significant playing time and producing well. I could see him going to the Patriots and doing well there in their scheme.

I was surprised we released Shaun Dion Hamilton, not because of his production, which was disappointment) but because he was cheap experienced depth and actually played pretty well i thought the one time they played him at MLB. The timing of the release is odd.

Moe
Code Talker

Postby Moe » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:37 am

skins7ny wrote:Anderson would be crazy to come back and i doubt Rivera will make a serious effort to re-sign him. Rivera and JDR barely played Anderson before he got hurt. I like Anderson, but he needs to go to a team that plays a 3-4 and allow him to build on the significant progress he was making in the last few games of the 2019 season, when he was getting significant playing time and producing well. I could see him going to the Patriots and doing well there in their scheme.

You're probably right and his skills seem to better fir a 3-4 but maybe he likes the coaches/players and as an attacker he could fill a role on this D. We'll see, I hope they don't release him, rather they keep and trade in season or get something for him prior to/during draft.

I was surprised we released Shaun Dion Hamilton, not because of his production, which was disappointment) but because he was cheap experienced depth and actually played pretty well i thought the one time they played him at MLB. The timing of the release is odd.

He never really seemed to be able to crack into the lineup much. If you can't beat out the LB's that have been here then that kinda says it all. Looks like Detroit picked him up.

skins7ny
Hunter

Postby skins7ny » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:31 pm

Moe wrote:You're probably right and his skills seem to better fir a 3-4 but maybe he likes the coaches/players and as an attacker he could fill a role on this D. We'll see, I hope they don't release him, rather they keep and trade in season or get something for him prior to/during draft.

He never really seemed to be able to crack into the lineup much. If you can't beat out the LB's that have been here then that kinda says it all. Looks like Detroit picked him up.
Unfortunately, Ryan Anderson is an unrestricted free agent so we cannot trade him. You are right about Hamilton, if he could not crack the starting lineup after 3 years in a very weak LB corps, he probably is not worth keeping. I just thought with all of our needs (I think we have to turn over our entire LB corps ASAP except for Holcomb and maybe Hudson) we are not going to be able to do it all in one offseason and Hamilton is decent and versatile depth.

Ironic that Detroit claimed him, given that Belicheck was going to draft him in rd 6 if we hadn’t, and his DC Matt Patricia just got fired there. Thought on SDH was that he would be high quality but health was a question. Dunno if his college injuries robbed him of speed and quickness, but he just never looked that good here, only flashed.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:17 pm

RE: the LB situation :

Will be back : Holcomb and Hudson
Might return : KPL, RFoster , JHC
Possible depth return : Kunaszyk, Philips

So lets say that only Holcomb, Hudson, and KPL are back. We will need some new faces. I still think that JHC could play a nice role here, and how great if Foster is back to 100% ? Since we tend to run a 4-2 with some regularity, even if we get 1 top-level MLB, and a Round 2-4 LB draft pick, we could be in better shape than this year. This would allow JDR to use either Collins or JHC as that dime-backer guy.
In a 4-3 set, Holcomb/KPL could be good enough at OLB but we very much need an impact MLB. So at MLB we can either spend money and get David for example, hope that Parson drops..which he wont drop that far, or possibly hope that ZCollins is there at 19...but then we are relying on a rookie ( we would too with Parsons ) . No matter how we configure the players and/or the scheme...LB is priority #1a for me, with 2nd WR threat as priority #1b....then for fun, lets put FS as priority #1c :)

RI Skins fan
Brave

Postby RI Skins fan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:40 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:RE: the LB situation :

Will be back : Holcomb and Hudson
Might return : KPL, RFoster , JHC
Possible depth return : Kunaszyk, Philips

So lets say that only Holcomb, Hudson, and KPL are back. We will need some new faces. I still think that JHC could play a nice role here, and how great if Foster is back to 100% ? Since we tend to run a 4-2 with some regularity, even if we get 1 top-level MLB, and a Round 2-4 LB draft pick, we could be in better shape than this year. This would allow JDR to use either Collins or JHC as that dime-backer guy.
In a 4-3 set, Holcomb/KPL could be good enough at OLB but we very much need an impact MLB. So at MLB we can either spend money and get David for example, hope that Parson drops..which he wont drop that far, or possibly hope that ZCollins is there at 19...but then we are relying on a rookie ( we would too with Parsons ) . No matter how we configure the players and/or the scheme...LB is priority #1a for me, with 2nd WR threat as priority #1b....then for fun, lets put FS as priority #1c :)

totally agree that LB is a priority but if Leatherwood is available we're taking him
The Redskins are the NFC EAST Champions
Ron Rivera has changed the culture - we have a lot to look forward to

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

RI Skins fan
Brave

Postby RI Skins fan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:47 am

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

RI Skins fan
Brave

Postby RI Skins fan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:52 am

just to add to this ... https://riggosrag.com/2021/01/14/washin ... en-gm-job/

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:06 pm

RI Skins fan wrote:just to add to this ... https://riggosrag.com/2021/01/14/washin ... en-gm-job/

no thanks, i'll stick with my top 3 for now :)

RI Skins fan
Brave

Postby RI Skins fan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:37 pm

this from that article about where we are right now ...
Ron Rivera, Kyle Smith, and Jason Wright appear to have turned over a new leaf in Washington. For the first time this millennium, the franchise enters the offseason with a young, solid defensive core, a quality track record of talent evaluation, a stable coaching staff, an improving business, marketing, and PR reputation, a bunch of cap space, and a full complement of draft picks.

The quarterback situation is no worse than any offseason since 1992 and is much better if you consider how cheaply the team could have both Taylor Heinicke and Kyle Allen on their books. Clearly, that combination is not among the upper echelon of QB rooms in the league, but it’s a pair of quality bridge quarterbacks that would, at worst, give this team a chance to win if the roster improves and a better QB doesn’t become available to them this offseason.

Everything turned around in one season in Washington. The future looks bright for this franchise for the first time in over two decades. They are even relatively healthy heading into the offseason for the first time I can remember. Remember this moment. Enjoy this feeling. Take a picture and frame it. Because if things go sideways or downhill from here, there will be one person, one common denominator with past failures to blame for dashing hopes again.

Everything else has been swapped out. Everyone else is on the same page. The Washington Football Team is on the right track. The train is heading in the right direction. And only Daniel Snyder can derail them. His past failures could catch up to him and cost the team dearly. And his future choices could do the same.

HOPEFULLY Dan Snyder allows Ron Rivera to continue to manage things even if he (Snyder) brings in a new GM

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:45 pm

I'm good with an actual GM being here working alongside Rivera. I just want that person to be the RIGHT person. I like what both Shoen and Dobbs have built, same with Veach in KC. Those are the types i want here. I do like what Kyle Smith has done in a short period of time, but its interesting that there is ZERO mention of his name outside of WFT fans. This FO has a real chance of solidifying the team into a perennial contender with the right offseason...or at least getting 90% of it in place.

Maddog97
Squaw Chaser

Postby Maddog97 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:16 pm

I think Rivera will go slow until he gets a GM in place. They are ramping up interviews.
True change requires patience and fortitude!

Maddog97
Squaw Chaser

Postby Maddog97 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:20 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:no thanks, i'll stick with my top 3 for now :)

I like the top 3, but Wooden did bring in some good talent. No arguments with the Chargers QB.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:17 pm

Maddog97 wrote:I like the top 3, but Wooden did bring in some good talent. No arguments with the Chargers QB.

Herbert looks to be a keeper. Some other decent draft picks sprinkled in there too. I just like that Dobbs and esp Shoen have built young contenders.

RI Skins fan
Brave

Postby RI Skins fan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:11 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:no thanks, i'll stick with my top 3 for now :)

no worries - these guys are not near as knowledgeable about our 'situation' as you are

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Domthomas
Papoose

Postby Domthomas » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:24 am

Am I the only one who thinks John Ross from cincy is a steal?
Low miles on em & eager to prove himself as a legit threat in this league. Shouldn’t be too expensive & across from Mclaurin he could be the deep threat we though Isaiah Wright could be(though i like him the production just isn’t there)

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:17 am

Domthomas wrote:Am I the only one who thinks John Ross from cincy is a steal?
Low miles on em & eager to prove himself as a legit threat in this league. Shouldn’t be too expensive & across from Mclaurin he could be the deep threat we though Isaiah Wright could be(though i like him the production just isn’t there)

Has all the talent, just never healthy. Maybe bring him here if he wants a vet min contract, but no way do I spend any real money on him. Highest i would go is $1.5M prove it deal...and even that might be too much. Again, he hasnt had a healthy season since basically his sophomore season in college. Since then its knee, shoulder, foot issues....not much in his past other than a couple of outlier games to get really excited about him.
Having said that, spending $20M for Allen Robinson might be a bit too much for my liking too. I do think we need another guy that can be a #1 WR. There is nothing wrong with having 2 #1's in today's game. I would rather grab 2 free agent Wr's for $20M combined IF we want to spend $20M at the spot. Not sure that is going to happen in the real world though.
Currently ; only McLaurin and Harmon have proved to me that they can handle the NFL.
- TM is a stud, but he definitely needs help on the other side.
- Harmon, while not a burner, has some of the best hands on the team...lets see if he is healthy. If so, he can be a spot #2, but easily would be a high end #4.
- CSims showed that he can play, not great speed. If he can work on his hands a bit he's another that can help.
- SSims did everything he could to lose his job. Coaches and QBs seemed to still have faith in him. But SLOT WR is a spot that i think we can also upgrade at. Curtis Samuel in FA or there are a dozen guys in the draft i would take.
- RFoster has the speed we need, another that seemed to have shaky hands which i never saw that from him before he came here?
- AGG, until he shows that he can separate, he is a #4-#6 guy. RZ/jump ball threat in my eyes. But i do think he has enough of a combo of get-off and build up speed to be ok.
- Wright...UDFA's with really zero OTA/camp work had a hard hill to climb this year. Showed enough in college to warrant a shot in camp this year. He also seemed to get some ok live snaps during the season, so the coaches were probably more positive on him than not.
- Of the rest of the roster/ps/ir guys....Hall would probably be the guy with the best shot due to his speed/size combo...but another who had hand issues. his hand issues are more that he fights the ball into his body vs being a hands catcher. Badat has really nice speed and could be the guy that replaces SSims if coaches like him enough and we dont happen to address it in FA/draft.
just my 2 cents....but either way, whether we stick with Heinicke/Allen/Smith or trade picks for Stafford/Carr/Ryan/Mariotta/Trubisky, Sign a guy like Dak or draft a guy like Lance....WR is a HUGE need, and we owe it to whoever is the starting qb to get him some help.

Domthomas
Papoose

Postby Domthomas » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:49 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Has all the talent, just never healthy. Maybe bring him here if he wants a vet min contract, but no way do I spend any real money on him. Highest i would go is $1.5M prove it deal...and even that might be too much. Again, he hasnt had a healthy season since basically his sophomore season in college. Since then its knee, shoulder, foot issues....not much in his past other than a couple of outlier games to get really excited about him.
Having said that, spending $20M for Allen Robinson might be a bit too much for my liking too. I do think we need another guy that can be a #1 WR. There is nothing wrong with having 2 #1's in today's game. I would rather grab 2 free agent Wr's for $20M combined IF we want to spend $20M at the spot. Not sure that is going to happen in the real world though.
Currently ; only McLaurin and Harmon have proved to me that they can handle the NFL.
- TM is a stud, but he definitely needs help on the other side.
- Harmon, while not a burner, has some of the best hands on the team...lets see if he is healthy. If so, he can be a spot #2, but easily would be a high end #4.
- CSims showed that he can play, not great speed. If he can work on his hands a bit he's another that can help.
- SSims did everything he could to lose his job. Coaches and QBs seemed to still have faith in him. But SLOT WR is a spot that i think we can also upgrade at. Curtis Samuel in FA or there are a dozen guys in the draft i would take.
- RFoster has the speed we need, another that seemed to have shaky hands which i never saw that from him before he came here?
- AGG, until he shows that he can separate, he is a #4-#6 guy. RZ/jump ball threat in my eyes. But i do think he has enough of a combo of get-off and build up speed to be ok.
- Wright...UDFA's with really zero OTA/camp work had a hard hill to climb this year. Showed enough in college to warrant a shot in camp this year. He also seemed to get some ok live snaps during the season, so the coaches were probably more positive on him than not.
- Of the rest of the roster/ps/ir guys....Hall would probably be the guy with the best shot due to his speed/size combo...but another who had hand issues. his hand issues are more that he fights the ball into his body vs being a hands catcher. Badat has really nice speed and could be the guy that replaces SSims if coaches like him enough and we dont happen to address it in FA/draft.
just my 2 cents....but either way, whether we stick with Heinicke/Allen/Smith or trade picks for Stafford/Carr/Ryan/Mariotta/Trubisky, Sign a guy like Dak or draft a guy like Lance....WR is a HUGE need, and we owe it to whoever is the starting qb to get him some help.

Love your take & depth on the situation & i 100% agree with what you said. AGG HAS to show us more. Really was looking for big things from him, i mean they raved about his size & ability, but it doesn’t seem like he can stay on the field. Probably due to his issues with not getting separation like you said.
I agree with Ross too, low risk, high reward guy in my eyes. Something similar to what we gave Darby this year. He was in a similar situation.
I do love Allen Robinson but like you, i feel he’s too expensive. Curtis Samuel is very very interesting, he killed us this year & is one of those Swiss Army knife guys like Gibson. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in burgundy & gold at all.
Corey Davis is another sleeper i have that i think could be a nice pickup for us. What’s your take on him & juju?
Agree with you on SSims, it’s about time we upgrade in the slot & ESPECIALLY at punt returner

Maddog97
Squaw Chaser

Postby Maddog97 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:14 am

So for GM it is now 5 candidates: Eric Stokes (WFT), Ryan Cowden (Titans), Martin Mayhew (49ers), JoJo Wooden (Chargers), and Nick Polk (Falcons). I am curious why Stokes is being interviewed. There is no consideration to Kyle Smith. I would not hire Polk since I don't see enough from Atlanta to warrant it.

Rivera realizes he needs a GM since he is probably overloaded at this point. He wants to focus on the team culture and coaching. We need a solid GM, but I am curious how they work together.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:17 am

Maddog97 wrote:So for GM it is now 5 candidates: Eric Stokes (WFT), Ryan Cowden (Titans), Martin Mayhew (49ers), JoJo Wooden (Chargers), and Nick Polk (Falcons). I am curious why Stokes is being interviewed. There is no consideration to Kyle Smith. I would not hire Polk since I don't see enough from Atlanta to warrant it.

Rivera realizes he needs a GM since he is probably overloaded at this point. He wants to focus on the team culture and coaching. We need a solid GM, but I am curious how they work together.

Of those names you listed, Cowden is by far my #1 choice. He has worked with Rivera also, as has Stokes, but Cowden just seems to have the experience edge. Carolina has had some good teams/players over that span. I wonder if we dig into Schoen or Dobbs ?

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:34 am

Domthomas wrote:Love your take & depth on the situation & i 100% agree with what you said. AGG HAS to show us more. Really was looking for big things from him, i mean they raved about his size & ability, but it doesn’t seem like he can stay on the field. Probably due to his issues with not getting separation like you said.
I agree with Ross too, low risk, high reward guy in my eyes. Something similar to what we gave Darby this year. He was in a similar situation.
I do love Allen Robinson but like you, i feel he’s too expensive. Curtis Samuel is very very interesting, he killed us this year & is one of those Swiss Army knife guys like Gibson. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in burgundy & gold at all.
Corey Davis is another sleeper i have that i think could be a nice pickup for us. What’s your take on him & juju?
Agree with you on SSims, it’s about time we upgrade in the slot & ESPECIALLY at punt returner

AGG was injured on top of the lack of a normal camp etc. Add to that coming from a small school, it was probably a huge change for him. Harmon is fast, but finds his way into open areas, AGG just needs more experience but could be a decent at those mid-deep 50/50 balls. Def in the RZ.
- i compare Ross to our poor money signing of Paul Richarson...plenty of speed and talent..always hurt or not living up to it.
- ARob is a no-brainer if cheap enough, and probably worth that $20M he will get.
- CSamuel would be perfect fit here, but our bigger need is a guy that can be a true #1 and/or #2....not sure Samuel has that to be a #2 ?? I would rather go draft for that slot/jet-sweep guy....Toney/Moore/Schwartz etc etc. I also think that Wright could fit that swiss army knife role.
- Davis vs Schuster?? tweets saying at one time we are interested in Schuster. Either one fits the bill...as do a few others.
- SSims either looks really good, or very cutable...depends on the play haha.

We need to spend money here though, but we have a few of our own to extend too. From there we do need to spend at other positions, but we might be able to fill those a bit cheaper : maybe Perryman instead of David at ILB , maybe Williams instead of Simmons/Harris at FS. If we could grab Schuster-Perryman-Williams in FA, i think that would be a great haul and fairly economical. Then the draft we just add another OT, TE, WR, CB, RB, and possibly G and QB?? QB is still the elephant in the room.
At QB...i'm bringing back both Heinicke and Allen for probably sub-$4M combined. I think Smith will retire. Now do we draft a guy, sign a FA , or spend a pick or 2 for a top QB ?? no clue what we do. Most i would spend would probably be 2 2nd rounders for one of the top guys.
Again, adding 2 more weapons at WR, and 1 at TE will be a huge improvement for us and it has to be one of the top priorities being discussed along with LB upgrade. I do expect Scherff-Darby-KPL back this year. Add Perryman and Williams to the team and the D is looking pretty solid. Backend is locked, DL is loaded, LB would have speed in a starting trio of Perryman-KPL-Holcomb .
Offense would have playmakers in McLaurin, Schuster , Gibson , THomas + potential draft likes like Kedarious Toney/Rondale Moore at slot and Brevin Jordan/Charlie Kolar for example to pair with THomas at TE. I'm just guessing at a lot of this, but its exciting to think about what the team CAN do and WILL do.

Domthomas
Papoose

Postby Domthomas » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:04 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:AGG was injured on top of the lack of a normal camp etc. Add to that coming from a small school, it was probably a huge change for him. Harmon is fast, but finds his way into open areas, AGG just needs more experience but could be a decent at those mid-deep 50/50 balls. Def in the RZ.
- i compare Ross to our poor money signing of Paul Richarson...plenty of speed and talent..always hurt or not living up to it.
- ARob is a no-brainer if cheap enough, and probably worth that $20M he will get.
- CSamuel would be perfect fit here, but our bigger need is a guy that can be a true #1 and/or #2....not sure Samuel has that to be a #2 ?? I would rather go draft for that slot/jet-sweep guy....Toney/Moore/Schwartz etc etc. I also think that Wright could fit that swiss army knife role.
- Davis vs Schuster?? tweets saying at one time we are interested in Schuster. Either one fits the bill...as do a few others.
- SSims either looks really good, or very cutable...depends on the play haha.

We need to spend money here though, but we have a few of our own to extend too. From there we do need to spend at other positions, but we might be able to fill those a bit cheaper : maybe Perryman instead of David at ILB , maybe Williams instead of Simmons/Harris at FS. If we could grab Schuster-Perryman-Williams in FA, i think that would be a great haul and fairly economical. Then the draft we just add another OT, TE, WR, CB, RB, and possibly G and QB?? QB is still the elephant in the room.
At QB...i'm bringing back both Heinicke and Allen for probably sub-$4M combined. I think Smith will retire. Now do we draft a guy, sign a FA , or spend a pick or 2 for a top QB ?? no clue what we do. Most i would spend would probably be 2 2nd rounders for one of the top guys.
Again, adding 2 more weapons at WR, and 1 at TE will be a huge improvement for us and it has to be one of the top priorities being discussed along with LB upgrade. I do expect Scherff-Darby-KPL back this year. Add Perryman and Williams to the team and the D is looking pretty solid. Backend is locked, DL is loaded, LB would have speed in a starting trio of Perryman-KPL-Holcomb .
Offense would have playmakers in McLaurin, Schuster , Gibson , THomas + potential draft likes like Kedarious Toney/Rondale Moore at slot and Brevin Jordan/Charlie Kolar for example to pair with THomas at TE. I'm just guessing at a lot of this, but its exciting to think about what the team CAN do and WILL do.

Interesting take you have on FS, I’m actually okay with Curl back there, where i think he can allow Collins to play closer to the box where he’s more comfortable. What i don’t know about Kam is can he be that last line of defense? We went through a bunch of guys at FS & it was disastrous lol..glad we moved on from apke, he was giving me heart attacks with all them bad angles. Marcus Williams i love! If we can snatch him up i agree, we go for him & we can figure the rest out.
Which leads me to an intriguing situation, moving Landon to LB. Probable? No, but Curl’s ascension does give us some options back there going forward

I’m all for bringing Heinicke back, don’t know if he’ll be out long term guy but he DEFINITELY deserves a shot at starting for us. Showed nothing but heart. Seems like he can rally the troops too, something no one but Smith was able to accomplish since RG3. Cousins had good statistical years but he didn’t galvanize the troops.

I’m with you on bringing in 2 playmakers, I’m a big fan of Toney, he’s big time to me. Moore i like, I’m not as big on him though. Didn’t get to see enough for me to truly feel comfortable with him.

As far as the draft goes, gotta build up that oline, the right side of our line is pretty solid(when healthy), Roullier I’m a fan of as well. Now the left side needs some immediate addressing & i think we take care of that with the 19th pick, no it’s not sexy but it’s necessary bc i feel like our window to compete for a super bowl opens up this year.

RI Skins fan
Brave

Postby RI Skins fan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:34 pm

We do need the weapons on offense but it is critical that we have a much better offensive line

we can get by with Allen & Heinicke - no matter who is QB we're not going to win playoff games without a good offensive line

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:37 pm

I like Curl, but just not sure he is the FS we need. Seems to be a solid player, but lack of high end speed worries me esp if we play him single-high/centerfield.
- Only way i want Collins at LB is as a dime-backer when we line up in the 4-2 .
- Williams would be a nice get and a slightly better cost vs Simmons/Harris...but any of the 3 would lock up the back end.
- I'll let the coaches figure out the QB issue. I liked that I saw from Heinicke..unfortunately it was only 5 quarter of play.
- Toney is my slot want in the draft since i highly doubt we draft a slot guy in Round 1..but if we do, Waddle is my choice. But there are a good handful of slot WRs so if we pass on Toney in R2, Rounds 3 and 4 will have some options. I really like Terrace Marshall as an outside WR...but i think he goes fairly early and not sure WR is our best choice in R1...but that depends on what we do in FA. If we only sign Curtis Samuel in FA for example, Marshall is probably in the mix at #19.
- totally agree on OL. Probably a target at #19, but coaches seemed high on Christian and he did look better before the injury...but if we can bring in an instant starter then you have to do it. There are some decent Day 2 and 3 OTs out there though, so its not the end of the world if we pass on LT in R1. There are going to be a bunch of very solid OGs on Day 2...and i hope we grab one. I love Trey Smith, Deonte Brown ,Cade Mays for example...Smith might be a 1st rounder but i'm sure we will bring in more than 1 OL.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:53 pm

as far as the Slot WR class, some names i really like :
- Jaylen Waddle, Kedarious Toney, Rondale Moore, Tylan Wallace, Elijah Moore, Dazz Newsome , Anthony Schwartz, Amari Rodgers. I think anyone of those guys will be an upgrade of SSims...unless Sims really works on his eye-hand concentration, because he does have some good things to his game.

When i list guys, I'm only listing the guys that i like that fit what WE need both in position and scheme. If SSims was a alpha slot guy, I wouldnt even waste my time scouting slot Wrs honestly.
This is a very good draft at OT, OG, WR, RB, TE , DL. I think the QB class might be a touch overrated but there might be a surprise or 2. Outside of the guys, i think the FS and CB class is pretty weak. LB is a mix..which is why i think we have to add at least 1 via free agency.

Return to “Cherokee All #Redskins Tribe”