Offseason plan

Your new Redskins Fan Forum, Come on in and join the TRIBE! All REDSKINS, all the TIME!
User avatar
fanfromarizona
Squaw Chaser
Posts:396
Joined:Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:47 pm
Age:49
Contact:
Re: Offseason plan

Postby fanfromarizona » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:42 pm

Warpath23 wrote:I'd take my chances adding WR JuJu or Corey Davis in FA and add Kadarius Toney @ 19 and call it a day at WR. Samuel will cost more than Terry and isn't as talented.

Could you imagine what we could do offensively with..

WR X Terry Mclaren
WR Z JuJu or Corey Davis
Slot/Hybrid Kadarius Toney
RB Gibson, Mckissic and maybe Love if he's healthy


As I said, there's a mighty steep learning curve for most Year 1 WR's. :cough: How did that Josh kid out of TCU turn out? :cough:
Janky Spanky.

User avatar
kbg
Ghost Dancer
Posts:3323
Joined:Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby kbg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:14 am

fanfromarizona wrote:As I said, there's a mighty steep learning curve for most Year 1 WR's. :cough: How did that Josh kid out of TCU turn out? :cough:


are we talking doctson? is he still with any team? spare me!

i do a weekly cigar video for a mate and he is a massive bucs fan.
tells me that godwin is gone. won't be back with the bucs. i'd be looking at him and waving the cheque book. and 19 goes to LB or OT.
he also said that brate their TE (not sure of spelling) is also gone and has indicated he is keen to come to us. assume that is coming from bucs sites. he'd cost a bit but nothing excessive and must surely be worth a thought. if we got those two, that would be terrific for me. never hurts to have guys who know how to win. and saves us throwing our top pics at them.
but of course, so much will depend on QB.

User avatar
Moe
Code Talker
Posts:2587
Joined:Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby Moe » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:46 am

fanfromarizona wrote:As I said, there's a mighty steep learning curve for most Year 1 WR's. :cough: How did that Josh kid out of TCU turn out? :cough:

Historically the sweet spot on WR's is in the 2nd, 3rd and oddly, 5th rounds. Regardless of what WFT does in FA, I don't know that there is a big enough difference between what they could find at WR at 19 versus in the 2/3, whereas there is positional value to be had elsewhere.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
Moe
Code Talker
Posts:2587
Joined:Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby Moe » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:54 am

kbg wrote:are we talking doctson? is he still with any team? spare me!

i do a weekly cigar video for a mate and he is a massive bucs fan.
tells me that godwin is gone. won't be back with the bucs. i'd be looking at him and waving the cheque book. and 19 goes to LB or OT.
he also said that brate their TE (not sure of spelling) is also gone and has indicated he is keen to come to us. assume that is coming from bucs sites. he'd cost a bit but nothing excessive and must surely be worth a thought. if we got those two, that would be terrific for me. never hurts to have guys who know how to win. and saves us throwing our top pics at them.
but of course, so much will depend on QB.

Dude on espn this am, said he expects Brady to push hard for Tampa to keep Godwin, but we'll see. Brate is a solid player, and TB can cut him with no penalty, he's due $6.5m his year ($6.8 and $7.5 in '22 and '23 but none of it guaranteed) so if they are looking for space and he's out there, then he'd be a solid pick up, not great but solid. I am curious to see if anything happens with David Njoku up in Cleveland who has been on and off the trade block the last few years.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts:8286
Joined:Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age:50
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:08 am

Moe wrote:Dude on espn this am, said he expects Brady to push hard for Tampa to keep Godwin, but we'll see. Brate is a solid player, and TB can cut him with no penalty, he's due $6.5m his year ($6.8 and $7.5 in '22 and '23 but none of it guaranteed) so if they are looking for space and he's out there, then he'd be a solid pick up, not great but solid. I am curious to see if anything happens with David Njoku up in Cleveland who has been on and off the trade block the last few years.


Jonnu Smith is the TE I would want if we hit the position in FA.

User avatar
silverspring
Code Talker
Posts:2805
Joined:Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby silverspring » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:00 pm

Moe wrote:Dude on espn this am, said he expects Brady to push hard for Tampa to keep Godwin, but we'll see. Brate is a solid player, and TB can cut him with no penalty, he's due $6.5m his year ($6.8 and $7.5 in '22 and '23 but none of it guaranteed) so if they are looking for space and he's out there, then he'd be a solid pick up, not great but solid. I am curious to see if anything happens with David Njoku up in Cleveland who has been on and off the trade block the last few years.


Tampa has so many players they need to resign right now. It will be interesting to see the priorities. I have to think Gronk and some of the defensive guys are on the top of the list. Godwin surely likes playing with Brady, but the truth is he had a better year with Winston and he has to know Brady won't be there long term. The chances of winning 2 in a row are pretty slim. I think there is a better chance of them going with Evans, the young guys and signing AB at WR.
Our problem is we have no QB. Maybe we get darnold but that might be a draft day trade.

User avatar
fanfromarizona
Squaw Chaser
Posts:396
Joined:Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:47 pm
Age:49
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby fanfromarizona » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:24 pm

kbg wrote:are we talking doctson? is he still with any team? spare me!

I know he was on the Vikings at some point, went on IR, they injury-released him, and now he's on the Jets.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DoctJo00.htm

Yeesh!

kbg wrote:i do a weekly cigar video for a mate and he is a massive bucs fan.
tells me that godwin is gone. won't be back with the bucs. i'd be looking at him and waving the cheque book. and 19 goes to LB or OT.

he also said that brate their TE (not sure of spelling) is also gone and has indicated he is keen to come to us. assume that is coming from bucs sites. he'd cost a bit but nothing excessive and must surely be worth a thought. if we got those two, that would be terrific for me. never hurts to have guys who know how to win. and saves us throwing our top pics at them.
but of course, so much will depend on QB.


Sign me up for that!
Janky Spanky.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts:8286
Joined:Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age:50
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:07 pm

^^ a free agency haul of Godwin, Samuel , Smith, Brown would have our offense in decent shape no matter who the QB is, with Brown being a nice piece for the LB group. Assuming also that we bring back both Darby and Scherff...then head into the draft and fill spots and if Scherff somehow leaves, OG would be one of those draft selections. Not sure how the money fits cap-wise, but these guys can always make things work at least up to a point.

User avatar
fanfromarizona
Squaw Chaser
Posts:396
Joined:Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:47 pm
Age:49
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby fanfromarizona » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:36 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:^^ a free agency haul of Godwin, Samuel , Smith, Brown would have our offense in decent shape no matter who the QB is, with Brown being a nice piece for the LB group. Assuming also that we bring back both Darby and Scherff...then head into the draft and fill spots and if Scherff somehow leaves, OG would be one of those draft selections. Not sure how the money fits cap-wise, but these guys can always make things work at least up to a point.


I don't think we will be able to sign 4 FAs, and I'm expecting Godwin will be tagged.
I can see us resigning Darby and Scherff and maybe 2 FAs, either 2 WRs or 1 WR 1 TE. Maybe 1 WR 1 ILB.
Use draft to fill the rest in.
Depth comes from the draft.
Janky Spanky.

User avatar
skins7ny
Hunter
Posts:650
Joined:Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby skins7ny » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:54 pm

Wow. Alex Smith just came out and said that the team (i.e. Rivera and the new regime) did not want him back and that his comeback threw a wrench into their plans. He says that once he came back, they did not welcome him with "open arms". Sounds like a divorce is definitely imminent!

User avatar
lorimike
Brave
Posts:1172
Joined:Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby lorimike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:20 pm

skins7ny wrote:Wow. Alex Smith just came out and said that the team (i.e. Rivera and the new regime) did not want him back and that his comeback threw a wrench into their plans. He says that once he came back, they did not welcome him with "open arms". Sounds like a divorce is definitely imminent!


He cannot move very well and at 20 million a season this journey is over. Maybe as a back up at back up money. Nice comeback but time to move on.

User avatar
fanfromarizona
Squaw Chaser
Posts:396
Joined:Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:47 pm
Age:49
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby fanfromarizona » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:20 pm

skins7ny wrote:Wow. Alex Smith just came out and said that the team (i.e. Rivera and the new regime) did not want him back and that his comeback threw a wrench into their plans. He says that once he came back, they did not welcome him with "open arms". Sounds like a divorce is definitely imminent!


Link? Heard on the radio?
Janky Spanky.

User avatar
lorimike
Brave
Posts:1172
Joined:Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby lorimike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:38 pm

fanfromarizona wrote:Link? Heard on the radio?


They are talking about it on 106.7 the Fan right now.

User avatar
fanfromarizona
Squaw Chaser
Posts:396
Joined:Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:47 pm
Age:49
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby fanfromarizona » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:44 pm

lorimike wrote:They are talking about it on 106.7 the Fan right now.


Doesn't help us out-of-towners.

I saw this on nfl.com:

https://www.nfl.com/news/alex-smith-my-comeback-definitely-threw-a-wrench-in-washington-s-plans

This article makes it sounds like what has been said was happening ONE YEAR AGO, not now. They definitely need to get Kyle Allen resigned before they make a decision on Alex, can't have just one QB.
Janky Spanky.

User avatar
Moe
Code Talker
Posts:2587
Joined:Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby Moe » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:47 pm

silverspring wrote:Tampa has so many players they need to resign right now. It will be interesting to see the priorities. I have to think Gronk and some of the defensive guys are on the top of the list. Godwin surely likes playing with Brady, but the truth is he had a better year with Winston and he has to know Brady won't be there long term. The chances of winning 2 in a row are pretty slim. I think there is a better chance of them going with Evans, the young guys and signing AB at WR.
Our problem is we have no QB. Maybe we get darnold but that might be a draft day trade.

Godwin will be one to watch. He says he wants to stay but also realizes the timing on getting paid and those two things might be mutually exclusive, but if they sacrifice elsewhere then maybe they fit him in. Does seem like who his QB might be could factor in, especially coming from playing with Brady. I would think AB will come back since he likely isn't wanted elsewhere and will be cheap. Ultimately, the big decisions for them will come on D with David, Barrett and Suh being FA's and that might impact what they can/can't do as it relates to Godwin.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
skins7ny
Hunter
Posts:650
Joined:Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby skins7ny » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:47 pm

fanfromarizona wrote:Link? Heard on the radio?
sorry. It is from a GQ magazine article, referenced on ProFootball Talk.

User avatar
silverspring
Code Talker
Posts:2805
Joined:Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby silverspring » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:10 pm

skins7ny wrote:Wow. Alex Smith just came out and said that the team (i.e. Rivera and the new regime) did not want him back and that his comeback threw a wrench into their plans. He says that once he came back, they did not welcome him with "open arms". Sounds like a divorce is definitely imminent!


Wow is right. Cracks me up how many fans and pundits have preached how much Rivera loves Alex Smith. Guess they were all wrong.
I expect half the Alex Smith fans to change their tune now.

What I am still wondering is why we haven't cut him yet :)

RI Skins fan
Brave
Posts:1126
Joined:Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby RI Skins fan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:13 pm

skins7ny wrote:Wow. Alex Smith just came out and said that the team (i.e. Rivera and the new regime) did not want him back and that his comeback threw a wrench into their plans. He says that once he came back, they did not welcome him with "open arms". Sounds like a divorce is definitely imminent!


https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alex ... air-shake/

Hopefully, we cut him and save the $15M
THEN
I hope he gets picked up by another franchise and plays really well
Last edited by RI Skins fan on Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Rivera has changed the culture - hopefully, we will now not rush the rebuild process

P A T I E N C E

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

User avatar
kbg
Ghost Dancer
Posts:3323
Joined:Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby kbg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:36 pm

fanfromarizona wrote:Doesn't help us out-of-towners.

I saw this on nfl.com:

https://www.nfl.com/news/alex-smith-my-comeback-definitely-threw-a-wrench-in-washington-s-plans

This article makes it sounds like what has been said was happening ONE YEAR AGO, not now. They definitely need to get Kyle Allen resigned before they make a decision on Alex, can't have just one QB.


i saw this as well. hard to know exactly what is going on. i do think that RR says a lot of stuff to the press, that while it might not be intentional lying, does not represent reality. but he is putting the positive spin on things for the public (and i suspect i'd do the same - not his job to have to explain every little thing to the press). all the stuff about loving haskins was clearly not what was happening behind the scenes. seems more of this now with smith. should he have come out and said that they were unhappy with haskins, for example? not going to do any good for haskins' confidence or anyone else in the team.
but is this smith pisses because he know he is being cut or is it all true or do the two just not get on? does he want to play somewhere else and this will make sure he can? may be he has been told that if he comes back, he is unlikely to start.
whatever is behind it, it would seem no chance he is with us next season after this.

RI Skins fan
Brave
Posts:1126
Joined:Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby RI Skins fan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

fanfromarizona wrote:Doesn't help us out-of-towners.

I saw this on nfl.com:

https://www.nfl.com/news/alex-smith-my-comeback-definitely-threw-a-wrench-in-washington-s-plans

This article makes it sounds like what has been said was happening ONE YEAR AGO, not now. They definitely need to get Kyle Allen resigned before they make a decision on Alex, can't have just one QB.


the article is about Smith playing QB here at the beginning of last season ..

we need to cut him and save $15M and then hopefully he goes and plays lights out at QB for someone else

Kyle Allen is not a good starting QB ..he's just a good back-up
Ron Rivera has changed the culture - hopefully, we will now not rush the rebuild process

P A T I E N C E

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

RI Skins fan
Brave
Posts:1126
Joined:Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby RI Skins fan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm

kbg wrote:i saw this as well. hard to know exactly what is going on. i do think that RR says a lot of stuff to the press, that while it might not be intentional lying, does not represent reality. but he is putting the positive spin on things for the public (and i suspect i'd do the same - not his job to have to explain every little thing to the press). all the stuff about loving haskins was clearly not what was happening behind the scenes. seems more of this now with smith. should he have come out and said that they were unhappy with haskins, for example? not going to do any good for haskins' confidence or anyone else in the team.
but is this smith pisses because he know he is being cut or is it all true or do the two just not get on? does he want to play somewhere else and this will make sure he can? may be he has been told that if he comes back, he is unlikely to start.
whatever is behind it, it would seem no chance he is with us next season after this.

this sounds legit to me and I hope he gets cut so we can save the $15M
AND
I really hope he goes somewhere else and has a fantastic season at QB
Alex Smith is a really good QB and an even better leader in the clubhouse
Ron Rivera has changed the culture - hopefully, we will now not rush the rebuild process

P A T I E N C E

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

User avatar
kbg
Ghost Dancer
Posts:3323
Joined:Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby kbg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:17 pm

i was looking at the scherff situation as i am very much in favour of him extending. i would much prefer not via the tag but long term on a good but fair contract. what that is, leave to those far more expert than myself.
but one of the big knocks on him (pretty much the only knock as far as i can see) is that he is injury prone.
now, we all understand that playing in an offensive line in the NFL is a good way to open yourself up to injuries. we wish it were not so but realistically, players will pick up injuries. i'd suggest that a huge plus in favour of moses is that he has not missed a game for 6 years. great effort.
scherff has started in 78 over 6 years. so that is an average of 13 from 16. none of us know what will happen but overall, that is not too bad. and in that, only twice has he been below 13 games, way back in 2018 when he only played 8 and in '19 when he played 11 (and still made the pro bowl).
for me, this is good enough that the injury concerns should not play a major role in our decision. that said, i have almost certainly jinxed the poor bloke and he'll trip on his way to the ground and be gone for the year.
the guy was an all-team rookie in his first year. and then four pro bowls in five years (including all pro), the only miss in 2018. if only we had more of his ilk.

at least he is not as dumb as one of the guys in our rugby league comp here. tom trbojovic (known as 'tommy turbo' for his speed). a super talent. lightning fast, incredibly skillful. (he doesn't play for any of the teams i support so this has got us all giggling, not sympathising).
he has a long history of bad injuries and has missed huge chunks of recent seasons. and very bad hamstring injuries are a big part of it.
so turbo is out with mates last friday, two weeks before the season kicks off, and having a few drinks. a drunk fan comes up for a photo and then challenges him to a speed race. turbo is seriously quick but the pissed fan reckons he is also quick.
so what does any sane sportsman do? walk away, walk away!
no.
they decide to race through a shopping mall on friday evening. off they go, through the crowds, dodging people and stands. they both finish (and allegedly the fan really was quick and pipped him) but next morning, turbo is calling the club to advise that he has torn his hamstring again and is out for months.
he is claiming slipped in the shower.
the rest of us can't stop laughing.

User avatar
fanfromarizona
Squaw Chaser
Posts:396
Joined:Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:47 pm
Age:49
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby fanfromarizona » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:36 pm

RI Skins fan wrote:the article is about Smith playing QB here at the beginning of last season ..

we need to cut him and save $15M and then hopefully he goes and plays lights out at QB for someone else

Kyle Allen is not a good starting QB ..he's just a good back-up


I don't begrudge what Alex said.
He told the truth about last year.
Times changed last year.

I do think we will be saving money on his contract. It will either be a restructured contract or he will be cut.
I can see keeping him on the roster for his veteran presence and game approach attitude.
But I don't see him as a starter anymore, he will serve in a backup capacity wherever he goes, and his contract is too expensive.

Convert his contract to incentive-based pay (perhaps game started, snaps taken) and lower his cap hit to $8M and we regain the $14M AND we keep his presence around. I would be ok with that kind of restructure.
Janky Spanky.

User avatar
Moe
Code Talker
Posts:2587
Joined:Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby Moe » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:03 am

WaPo had a 'biggest non-QB areas of need' article today, few notes:
-WR.
“With Samuel, you're probably looking at the $9 million-$10 million a year range,” said Over the Cap founder Jason Fitzgerald. “He's probably looked at like a ‘No. 2-plus’ wide receiver, a little bit of a gadget guy. With Robinson, you're talking probably close to $20 million dollars a year. Robinson, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay — those guys are all going to be like $17 million, $18 million, $19 million, $20 million players.”

-TE.
Tight ends can be costly in free agency, but Washington could be among the teams interested in Hunter Henry if he isn’t tagged or re-signed by the Los Angeles Chargers. Tennessee’s Jonnu Smith has been productive in recent seasons and could also become an unrestricted free agent. The draft class has some notable talent, led by Florida’s Kyle Pitts and Penn State’s Pat Freiermuth, and Miami’s Brevin Jordan has the type of versatility in his game that could intrigue Washington.

-Scherff.
Washington wants to keep its starting right guard on a long-term deal, but it could still use the franchise tag on him for a second time, if only to buy more time for negotiations. The deadline to designate franchise players is March 9, but teams and players have until July 15 to try to reach long-term deals instead.

Scherff will get paid handsomely one way or the others. On a long-term deal, the floor is likely $15 million in average annual value. The second franchise tag would be costly for Washington, at $18 million for next season.

Notes from PFF- The right guard logged 857 offensive snaps in 2020, according to PFF, and allowed just three sacks. Scherff's overall PFF grade of 86.3 made him the fourth-highest graded guard in the entire NFL, too.

Where Scherff excels the most is in the run game, but the former Iowa star has turned into one of the league's best pass-blocking guards. Scherff was one of just two guards in the NFL (Indianapolis' Quenton Nelson was the other) that registered a PFF grade above 80.0 as both a run-blocker and a pass-blocker.

Simply put: that's elite.

-LB.
Rivera was publicly critical of the inside linebackers early last season, especially against the run, although he did note their improvement as the season went on.

But now Kevin Pierre-Louis will be a free agent, Thomas Davis is retired and Shaun Dion Hamilton is gone. Jon Bostic has a year left on his contract, but the team would save close to $2.7 million if it cut or traded him, leaving Cole Holcomb as the centerpiece of the group.

One potential option in free agency is Matt Milano, the former safety who converted to linebacker for the Buffalo Bills. Corry says the average pay for a player like Milano is $12 million-$14 million a year. Washington — unlike Buffalo — has the cap space to make it happen, but it could instead turn to the draft for help. (Moe-seems too high for Milano, good player but that's a lot)

-DB.
Ronald Darby, who signed a one-year contract with Washington last season, received praise from Rivera at season’s end and the team could look to re-sign him on a longer-term deal. Doing so could come at a steep cost, as Corry believes Darby would covet close to $10 million a year, similar to what Bradley Roby received from Houston last year.
“And the other thing is this really isn't a good year for cornerbacks in free agency,” Fitzgerald said. “It's guys like William Jackson and Desmond King, a lot of uncertainty. They might not see an easy path to replace him.”
(Moe- I thought Darby was solid, but again that seems a little high. DB's are valuable but if they could get him more in the $6-7m a year range, I'd be more comfortable).
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
fanfromarizona
Squaw Chaser
Posts:396
Joined:Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:47 pm
Age:49
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby fanfromarizona » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:05 pm

Moe wrote:WaPo had a 'biggest non-QB areas of need' article today, few notes:
-WR.
“With Samuel, you're probably looking at the $9 million-$10 million a year range,” said Over the Cap founder Jason Fitzgerald. “He's probably looked at like a ‘No. 2-plus’ wide receiver, a little bit of a gadget guy. With Robinson, you're talking probably close to $20 million dollars a year. Robinson, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay — those guys are all going to be like $17 million, $18 million, $19 million, $20 million players.”

On board with Samuel. I have him down as a RB/WR and can be used just like Gibson.

I would not mind Robinson, but not at $20M, I will take a Corey Davis at a lower value of $14-16M.

I am of the opinion to go the FA route for this position, we have too many draft picks here already, young, and know the system.
We have the cap space and I would prefer a vet to not have to wait for the rookies to come up to speed.

Moe wrote:-TE.
Tight ends can be costly in free agency, but Washington could be among the teams interested in Hunter Henry if he isn’t tagged or re-signed by the Los Angeles Chargers. Tennessee’s Jonnu Smith has been productive in recent seasons and could also become an unrestricted free agent. The draft class has some notable talent, led by Florida’s Kyle Pitts and Penn State’s Pat Freiermuth, and Miami’s Brevin Jordan has the type of versatility in his game that could intrigue Washington.


I would prefer to go with the draft on this position.
We need to resign Logan Thomas in 2022, don't want too much money invested in TE, Thomas will need to get paid if he plays great again this year. Give me a rookie contract for this position.
Moe wrote:-Scherff.
Washington wants to keep its starting right guard on a long-term deal, but it could still use the franchise tag on him for a second time, if only to buy more time for negotiations. The deadline to designate franchise players is March 9, but teams and players have until July 15 to try to reach long-term deals instead.

Scherff will get paid handsomely one way or the others. On a long-term deal, the floor is likely $15 million in average annual value. The second franchise tag would be costly for Washington, at $18 million for next season.

Notes from PFF- The right guard logged 857 offensive snaps in 2020, according to PFF, and allowed just three sacks. Scherff's overall PFF grade of 86.3 made him the fourth-highest graded guard in the entire NFL, too.

Where Scherff excels the most is in the run game, but the former Iowa star has turned into one of the league's best pass-blocking guards. Scherff was one of just two guards in the NFL (Indianapolis' Quenton Nelson was the other) that registered a PFF grade above 80.0 as both a run-blocker and a pass-blocker.

Simply put: that's elite.


This is the most important re-signing, we are probably looking at ~16M AAV, back loaded due to TV broadcasting negotiations.
Use a similar strategy as we did with Roullier, (lower cap hit this year, and higher cap hits in 2022 and beyond).

Moe wrote:-LB.
Rivera was publicly critical of the inside linebackers early last season, especially against the run, although he did note their improvement as the season went on.

But now Kevin Pierre-Louis will be a free agent, Thomas Davis is retired and Shaun Dion Hamilton is gone. Jon Bostic has a year left on his contract, but the team would save close to $2.7 million if it cut or traded him, leaving Cole Holcomb as the centerpiece of the group.

One potential option in free agency is Matt Milano, the former safety who converted to linebacker for the Buffalo Bills. Corry says the average pay for a player like Milano is $12 million-$14 million a year. Washington — unlike Buffalo — has the cap space to make it happen, but it could instead turn to the draft for help. (Moe-seems too high for Milano, good player but that's a lot)


I am hoping that we go with Zaven Collins at 19, I might be able to wrap my brain around the other ILB from Notre Dame, but he seems too undersized and underweight to me. I see Nick Bolton sliding up the charts, not sure if he is worthy of 19.

Moe wrote:-DB.
Ronald Darby, who signed a one-year contract with Washington last season, received praise from Rivera at season’s end and the team could look to re-sign him on a longer-term deal. Doing so could come at a steep cost, as Corry believes Darby would covet close to $10 million a year, similar to what Bradley Roby received from Houston last year.
“And the other thing is this really isn't a good year for cornerbacks in free agency,” Fitzgerald said. “It's guys like William Jackson and Desmond King, a lot of uncertainty. They might not see an easy path to replace him.”
(Moe- I thought Darby was solid, but again that seems a little high. DB's are valuable but if they could get him more in the $6-7m a year range, I'd be more comfortable).


I think the sweet spot is ~9M, I would be OK with that.
Janky Spanky.

User avatar
Moe
Code Talker
Posts:2587
Joined:Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby Moe » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:58 pm

^^^I agree with everything you said.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
silverspring
Code Talker
Posts:2805
Joined:Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby silverspring » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:22 pm

fanfromarizona wrote:I would prefer to go with the draft on this position.
We need to resign Logan Thomas in 2022, don't want too much money invested in TE, Thomas will need to get paid if he plays great again this year. Give me a rookie contract for this position.


Totally agree also it is a market with very thin supply so if we go after Henry we will overpay. Thomas shocked me by making me comfortable with this position. Maybe draft a mid rounder with upside and develop him.

RI Skins fan
Brave
Posts:1126
Joined:Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby RI Skins fan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:02 pm

fanfromarizona wrote:I don't begrudge what Alex said. He told the truth about last year. Times changed last year.

I do think we will be saving money on his contract. It will either be a restructured contract or he will be cut.
I can see keeping him on the roster for his veteran presence and game approach attitude.
But I don't see him as a starter anymore, he will serve in a backup capacity wherever he goes, and his contract is too expensive.

Convert his contract to incentive-based pay (perhaps game started, snaps taken) and lower his cap hit to $8M and we regain the $14M AND we keep his presence around. I would be ok with that kind of restructuring.

Smith is certainly not a starting QB but neither is Heinicke or Allen
Smith is a really knowledgeable QB that could help the other QBs get better

I doubt that is happening here as these guys are not looking at Smith that way
Ron Rivera has changed the culture - hopefully, we will now not rush the rebuild process

P A T I E N C E

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts:8286
Joined:Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age:50
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:13 pm

silverspring wrote:Totally agree also it is a market with very thin supply so if we go after Henry we will overpay. Thomas shocked me by making me comfortable with this position. Maybe draft a mid rounder with upside and develop him.


I would be fine with either Jonnu Smith ( my first choice) or Henry....but I am also fine if we go the draft route. I guess it all depends on how much money the FO wants to spend this offseason.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts:8286
Joined:Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age:50
Contact:

Re: Offseason plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:35 am

^^ i would also consider Everette in FA at TE. I see that TN might release OT Isaiah Wilson. Has some issues, but if the coaches like him, i think he would be a decent cheap pickup. Could really grow learning from the OL coach and Rivera.


Return to “Cherokee All #Redskins Tribe”

Who is online

Users browsing this Washington forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests