Offseason plan

Your new Redskins Fan Forum, Come on in and join the TRIBE! All REDSKINS, all the TIME!
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Re: Offseason plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:58 pm

A few of the Day 2 and later WR's at least 6'2" that i like for us :

Nico Collins
Ihmir Smith-Marsette
Josh Imatorbhebhe
Tamorrion Terry
0 x

kbg
Ghost Dancer

Postby kbg » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:18 pm

they are apparently looking at Harry out of the pats. but talk of a trade? not sure i want to be giving up much. i agree with ilikesonny09.
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 pm

kbg wrote:they are apparently looking at Harry out of the pats. but talk of a trade? not sure i want to be giving up much. i agree with ilikesonny09.

Yeah, i think i would rather grab one of the 4 i mentioned above.
0 x

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:48 pm

ILikeSonny09 wrote:Sims, Harmon, and AGG. Those are enough.

I thought AGG was very disappointing in the opportunities he had and I would be ok with him being cut.
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:27 pm

We did sign WR Adam Humphries today. I like it.
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:37 pm

Just saw that Seattle released DT Jarren Reed. I doubt we do that route, but another 'Bama DL to the mix would be insane. Again, i would rather put the money towards LB and FS.
The draft could go LB-LT-LB-TE with our first 4 picks.
0 x

lorimike
Brave

Postby lorimike » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:42 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:We did sign WR Adam Humphries today. I like it.
<<<

I think this means we do not draft a receiver in the draft. Adam can play. No pedigree but he can play in the slot.
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:09 am

Here is my list of current roster guys that i want to see improvement for at least a depth spot :

DE James Smith-Williams
DE Casey Toohill
OG Wes Martin
LG Jordan Kunaszyk
FS Troy Apke
OT David Sharpe
OT Geron Christian
WR Antonio Gandy-Golden
WR Kelvin Harmon
WR Isaiah Wright
CB Demarkus Acy
DE Jalen Jenks
TE Tyrone Swoops
OT Saadiq Charles
TE Thaddeus Moss
CB Greg Stroman
LB Josh Harvey-Clemons

^^ some guys with potential, but most will probably not live up to what i want to see
0 x

skins7ny
Hunter

Postby skins7ny » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:34 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Here is my list of current roster guys that i want to see improvement for at least a depth spot :

DE James Smith-Williams
DE Casey Toohill
OG Wes Martin
LG Jordan Kunaszyk
FS Troy Apke
OT David Sharpe
OT Geron Christian
WR Antonio Gandy-Golden
WR Kelvin Harmon
WR Isaiah Wright
CB Demarkus Acy
DE Jalen Jenks
TE Tyrone Swoops
OT Saadiq Charles
TE Thaddeus Moss
CB Greg Stroman
LB Josh Harvey-Clemons

^^ some guys with potential, but most will probably not live up to what i want to see
Nice post. I thought DE James Smith-Williams showed a lot of promise in his limited snaps. I think Toohill has upside as well. I really liked DE Jalen Jenks coming out of college, and I will look forward to seeing him play in the pre-season after being coached up since coming here last season.

Sharpe i thought played well when he was in there, except that in his last game played (if i remember correctly), he played poorly and did not look like someone i would like to keep. If i am not mistaken, he is better-suited to OG except that his blindness issue requires him to play on the edge-I am not sure.

CB Stroman has actually played like a very solid #4 or #5 CB when he has been played, but we waived him onto IR last year, suggesting that we were ok losing him to another team. He might be someone who earns a bigger role.

It would be nice if TE Thaddeus Moss seized the opportunity to take one of the 2 open TE slots, but did we hear last year that he came in with a poor attitude and in poor shape? If so, i hope a year with this locker room has shaped him up. He has the ability to serve as the FB that is traditional in a Turner offense but that we do not have.

Saadhiq Charles needs to step up this year and seize a starting job. If not, his career might be trending towards over. I think OG Wes Martin is going to be off the team, but i liked how he played his rookie year and hope he will bounce back. He just looked awful last year, maybe the change in blocking scheme was the reason (if so, does not bode well for him here).

You know how i feel about WR Kelvin Harmon, and the fact we did not get a big WR among our many signings at the position in free agency suggests that the coaches might feel the same way.
0 x

skins7ny
Hunter

Postby skins7ny » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:52 pm

Interesting that out of 18 free agents we had going in to the offseason, only 4 are left. Of those 4, one is our LS whom we have already replaced, one is a LB who never played a down for us and his career is probably over and one is going to jail. The 4th is Ryan Kerrigan. i am surprised he has not found a home yet. Would love to have him back on a modest contract and allow him to play 2 more years in Burgundy & Gold. Considering that he supposedly drew trade interest during the year (from Baltimore and maybe Indy, as i recall) and was productive in his limited snaps last year, i am surprised he has not landed yet. Maybe his demand$ are higher than those teams want to pay, but he can still help someone. The Titans should also be interested, their pass rush last year was abysmal. Wishing Kerrigan well wherever he lands (assuming not Giants, Cows or Eagles).
0 x

kbg
Ghost Dancer

Postby kbg » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:00 pm

skins7ny wrote:Interesting that out of 18 free agents we had going in to the offseason, only 4 are left. Of those 4, one is our LS whom we have already replaced, one is a LB who never played a down for us and his career is probably over and one is going to jail. The 4th is Ryan Kerrigan. i am surprised he has not found a home yet. Would love to have him back on a modest contract and allow him to play 2 more years in Burgundy & Gold. Considering that he supposedly drew trade interest during the year (from Baltimore and maybe Indy, as i recall) and was productive in his limited snaps last year, i am surprised he has not landed yet. Maybe his demand$ are higher than those teams want to pay, but he can still help someone. The Titans should also be interested, their pass rush last year was abysmal. Wishing Kerrigan well wherever he lands (assuming not Giants, Cows or Eagles).

if kerrigan is starting to realise he is not in the demand he thought he might be, and probably deserves, then very happy to have him back. one or two injuries and he is a full time starter for us. i'd give him a fair contract for a couple of years happily.
0 x

lorimike
Brave

Postby lorimike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:30 pm

kbg wrote:if kerrigan is starting to realise he is not in the demand he thought he might be, and probably deserves, then very happy to have him back. one or two injuries and he is a full time starter for us. i'd give him a fair contract for a couple of years happily.
<<<

I hope the resign him. Maybe 2 year 13 million based on incentives?
0 x

Moe
Code Talker

Postby Moe » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:49 am

kbg wrote:if kerrigan is starting to realise he is not in the demand he thought he might be, and probably deserves, then very happy to have him back. one or two injuries and he is a full time starter for us. i'd give him a fair contract for a couple of years happily.

You would think, with all things being equal, in this scenario coming back to WFT would be appealing. He knows the D, will get snaps, has family rooted here, etc. I'd love to have him back.
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:38 pm

Maybe. I feel bad for him. Tough break for Kerrigan timing his free agency out with the depressed salary cap year. I think in a normal year he would be very much in demand but teams have to trim fat.
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:23 pm

Just saw that LB Eric Wilson is signing with Philly. I thought that he would be someone we might be interested in. Have to think even moreso that we will be hitting LB early in the draft.
0 x

kbg
Ghost Dancer

Postby kbg » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:33 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Just saw that LB Eric Wilson is signing with Philly. I thought that he would be someone we might be interested in. Have to think even moreso that we will be hitting LB early in the draft.

shame it is with the iggles. given their supposed salary cap issues, they seem to be doing rather well in signing players.
am i correct in thinking that if we do not use all our cap this coming season, it will roll over to the next? if so, we should be well placed to secure scherff and start locking down the DL.
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:05 pm

kbg wrote:shame it is with the iggles. given their supposed salary cap issues, they seem to be doing rather well in signing players.
am i correct in thinking that if we do not use all our cap this coming season, it will roll over to the next? if so, we should be well placed to secure scherff and start locking down the DL.

First of all, the salary cap is nothing but a joke as we have seen this offseason. I have no problem with us rolling over money into next offseason. With us realistically being another solid offseason away from being a potential upper-tier team, it would make sense. Fill in pieces this year, go for the kill next year with a bigger overall cap. The way the cap can be abused is why I'm not worried about overpaying here or there on a few guys.
1 x

lorimike
Brave

Postby lorimike » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:53 pm

kbg wrote:shame it is with the iggles. given their supposed salary cap issues, they seem to be doing rather well in signing players.
<<

the Eagles kicked the can down the road by doing a bunch of restructures. Their GM is a buffoon who is running that team into the ground.
0 x

RI Skins fan
Brave

Postby RI Skins fan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:03 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:First of all, the salary cap is nothing but a joke as we have seen this offseason. I have no problem with us rolling over money into next offseason. With us realistically being another solid offseason away from being a potential upper-tier team, it would make sense. Fill in pieces this year, go for the kill next year with a bigger overall cap. The way the cap can be abused is why I'm not worried about overpaying here or there on a few guys.

I agree with this - we are another offseason away from being a consistent playoff contender ...

this is the Redskins - we will be better next year
0 x
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

skins7ny
Hunter

Postby skins7ny » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:03 pm

skins7ny wrote:It would be nice if TE Thaddeus Moss seized the opportunity to take one of the 2 open TE slots, but did we hear last year that he came in with a poor attitude and in poor shape? If so, i hope a year with this locker room has shaped him up. He has the ability to serve as the FB that is traditional in a Turner offense but that we do not have.

We released Moss today, along with DT Caleb Brantley, RB Javon Leake (ex-Maryland), RB Michael Warren and WR Emanuel Hall. Dunno if Hall made it back all the way from his surgery. Surprised we didn't bring Brantley back to compete for a job.
0 x

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:51 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:First of all, the salary cap is nothing but a joke as we have seen this offseason. I have no problem with us rolling over money into next offseason. With us realistically being another solid offseason away from being a potential upper-tier team, it would make sense. Fill in pieces this year, go for the kill next year with a bigger overall cap. The way the cap can be abused is why I'm not worried about overpaying here or there on a few guys.

I actually think the Patriots had it right and I don't think they are brilliant, I think it was just obvious. Smaller cap, limited teams with cap space meant that this is the year to spend money because you have an advantage. The cap will go up over the next few years and we will be back competing with all the teams for players. I still think it was idiotic to tag Scherff but I wish we would make another big signing (not a 1 year signing). We have had a pretty average offseason thus far. Samuels and Jackson are the only real moves. Scherff was a one year money pit rental and fitzpatrick is a 1 year placeholder.

There isn't much left to do. If we don't extend Jon Allen, I am going to be very disappointed. We can't kick that can down the road and then expect to sign him and Payne in one year. And while this is far from my preference, if we don't want to extend Allen, then we need to be trading him now.
0 x

kbg
Ghost Dancer

Postby kbg » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:04 pm

skins7ny wrote:We released Moss today, along with DT Caleb Brantley, RB Javon Leake (ex-Maryland), RB Michael Warren and WR Emanuel Hall. Dunno if Hall made it back all the way from his surgery. Surprised we didn't bring Brantley back to compete for a job.

agreed. very surprised. he was cheap, i think? and a decent player. i wonder if that was because they were unhappy he sat out covid? bit harsh.
sad about moss. would have been useful.
the rest? can't really comment.
0 x

kbg
Ghost Dancer

Postby kbg » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:16 pm

silverspring wrote:I actually think the Patriots had it right and I don't think they are brilliant, I think it was just obvious. Smaller cap, limited teams with cap space meant that this is the year to spend money because you have an advantage. The cap will go up over the next few years and we will be back competing with all the teams for players. I still think it was idiotic to tag Scherff but I wish we would make another big signing (not a 1 year signing). We have had a pretty average offseason thus far. Samuels and Jackson are the only real moves. Scherff was a one year money pit rental and fitzpatrick is a 1 year placeholder.

There isn't much left to do. If we don't extend Jon Allen, I am going to be very disappointed. We can't kick that can down the road and then expect to sign him and Payne in one year. And while this is far from my preference, if we don't want to extend Allen, then we need to be trading him now.

full agreement re what you say about allen. and the way the pats have done things.
scherff not so much. lot of money and sets the bar even higher. we'll have to pay through the nose but the guy was an all-pro. we don't have a lot of them at the moment. it does show the team that we will pay to keep the top guys, which should be reassuring. and the question comes back to what are the alternatives? i think we hope that we might have a possible franchise QB this time next year (or at least for that season) so having a guy like scherff protecting him is key. if it costs us, so be it.
0 x

skins7ny
Hunter

Postby skins7ny » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:17 pm

Don’t be shocked to see us draft a OG in round 2 and then turn around and trade Scherff for a combination of day 2 and day 3 or 2022 picks. We are losing him in a year. I would rather get picks for him now even if it means we don’t have his services this year. I don’t think he is irreplaceable and we cannot afford to let assets walk for nothing. Someone like Creed Humphrey or Deonte Brown and others could take over the position and play very well for a much lower cap hit (allowing us to keep our DL together) for 2021 and beyond. I just think if Scherff were going to sign a long-term deal here, it would have happened by now. Also remember who his best friend on the team was-same formula, similar result. There is no way Scherff gets $18M this year on the open market, All-Pro or not.

We could also draft a OG/OT in round one (e.g., Alex Leatherwood), play him at RG in 2021 and slide him over to LT when Lucas’ contract is up in 2022.
2 x

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:24 pm

^^ that is definitely one way it could play out
0 x

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:47 am

kbg wrote:full agreement re what you say about allen. and the way the pats have done things.
scherff not so much. lot of money and sets the bar even higher. we'll have to pay through the nose but the guy was an all-pro. we don't have a lot of them at the moment. it does show the team that we will pay to keep the top guys, which should be reassuring. and the question comes back to what are the alternatives? i think we hope that we might have a possible franchise QB this time next year (or at least for that season) so having a guy like scherff protecting him is key. if it costs us, so be it.

I think when you are talking about 18 million dollars in cap for one season there are a hell of a lot of alternatives. For one, Wes Schweitzer was passable as a fill in and better or as good as Scherff when scherff was hurt or playing unhealthy (which is often). I think it is too much money for Scherff either way, but I could stomach the cost if we had him locked up long term.

skins7ny wrote:Don’t be shocked to see us draft a OG in round 2 and then turn around and trade Scherff for a combination of day 2 and day 3 or 2022 picks. We are losing him in a year. I would rather get picks for him now even if it means we don’t have his services this year. I don’t think he is irreplaceable and we cannot afford to let assets walk for nothing. Someone like Creed Humphrey or Deonte Brown and others could take over the position and play very well for a much lower cap hit (allowing us to keep our DL together) for 2021 and beyond. I just think if Scherff were going to sign a long-term deal here, it would have happened by now. Also remember who his best friend on the team was-same formula, similar result. There is no way Scherff gets $18M this year on the open market, All-Pro or not.

We could also draft a OG/OT in round one (e.g., Alex Leatherwood), play him at RG in 2021 and slide him over to LT when Lucas’ contract is up in 2022.

I totally agree and I hope you are right. I just can't imagine another team trading for him just to pay that much for a one year deal. If you are trading for him, you have to work out an extension and that is tough to do on draft day. I almost think we would have to pay draft compensation to get rid of him.
0 x

kbg
Ghost Dancer

Postby kbg » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:49 pm

wondering if anyone has thought about a small trade for cameron brate? decent TE? he is due $6.8 this coming season and $7.3 the next. seems competent, good hands, seems to pick up 6-8 TDs a year and is always 2nd or 3rd in the pecking order. plus, has experience as a SB winner. never hurts.
at the bucs, he will be behind oj howard and gronk, plus they have a pretty impressive WR collection.
the bucs might be grateful for a little salary cap relief? can't imagine we'd have to give up much if they were interested.
1 x

Moe
Code Talker

Postby Moe » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:35 am

^^^ Not a bad thought, and he seems like a luxury for them, but Gronk is more of a part time player and Howard has been up and down so Brate give them a ton of coverage and Brady loves a TE, so I'd be surprised if they moved him before the draft (if at all). Personally, I think I'd prefer to see the team try to draft a young guy who they can mold on the cheaper end.
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:13 am

Moe wrote:^^^ Not a bad thought, and he seems like a luxury for them, but Gronk is more of a part time player and Howard has been up and down so Brate give them a ton of coverage and Brady loves a TE, so I'd be surprised if they moved him before the draft (if at all). Personally, I think I'd prefer to see the team try to draft a young guy who they can mold on the cheaper end.

Agree, and its a fairly deep TE class. I like Long, McKitty, Yeboah as possible Round 3-5 types.
0 x

skins7ny
Hunter

Postby skins7ny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:21 am

We signed a college (Tulane) basketball player named Sammis Reyes to try him at TE. He is 6'7" and 240 lbs.
0 x

Return to “Cherokee All #Redskins Tribe”