2022 offseason...what now?

Your all Commanders Fan Forum, Come on in and join the group! All COMMANDERS, all the TIME!
User avatar
SkinsGuru
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:46 am
Age: 41
x 305
x 72
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby SkinsGuru » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:13 am

ILikeSonny09 wrote:I'll always believe he was a Dallas troll. The creep picked up one theme that made him appear he was all in for Washington and used it to insult just about every poster and act as obnoxiously as he could get away with.


If so he was very dedicated . . . i think he might really be related to Heinicke or knew him from high school or something . . . i mean come on!! why else would he be that jaded???
2 x
0 x

Winnipeg_Skins_Fan
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:54 am
Age: 55
x 108
x 45
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby Winnipeg_Skins_Fan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:11 am

Skins-R-Us wrote:OK I am banning him. I can't take it anymore either. He really needed to change his user name to Heineki to the HOF. LOL

If he pops up under a different name, we'll ban his IP.

Kind of inevitable, really. I like Hieneki too, but his insults of anyone who disagreed were over the top.
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
x 47
x 243
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:19 am

Sounds like Wentz had a nice start today. Also read that LB Drew White was carted off with a leg/knee injury
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
x 47
x 243
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:43 pm

I just re-mentioned TE Armani Rogers the other day. Here was something from today's practice :

Curtis Hodges and Armani Rogers have been filling in capably, with Rogers earning snaps with the starters on Tuesday.
2 x
0 x

User avatar
34Drive
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:36 am
Age: 57
x 35
x 19
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby 34Drive » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:13 pm

It will be so much more civil around here with out Trollienke.
2 x
0 x
“Randy, it’s coming at you.” Russ Grimm, 1983

Online
User avatar
MissouriSkin
Ensign
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:33 pm
Age: 56
x 3
x 119
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby MissouriSkin » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:42 am

Samual practicing today. Not sure why some folks were freaking out that he was sore after missing all last year. They’re just being careful so he doesn’t get hurt getting back into football form.
0 x
0 x

User avatar
Moe
Commander
Posts: 3113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
x 4
x 131
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby Moe » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:47 am

WaPo notes on practice:
-lots of injured guys being worked in slowly. Young, Logan Thomas, John Bates, Samuel, Apke and Larsen.
-Trai Turner sat out along with Smith-Williams, also working Roullier back in slowly and he's been elevated off the PUP.
-lots of praise for Dotson. He's picking up things quickly, flashes his skill routinely and is working in different positions, even some return duties.
-Gibson looks more cut and showed his quickness and speed in drills. Hammy was tight so he's not doing team stuff yet.
-RR praised Holcomb for his showing at MLB so far.

- to parrot Vegas above, saw that TE Rodgers has been impressing. Getting more time with Thomas and Bates out, so he's taking advantage.
- lots of 1v1's. WJ3 broke up a pass to McLaurin, and St-Juste blanketed Dotson. Dotson was able to later make a nice adjustment while covered by WJ3.
-Milne getting decent looks and just keep making plays. Several good, consistent practices from him.
-Wentz opened practice with a wide open 15 yarder to McLaurin. Ended practice with four straight completion, 1 to Terry, rest to RB's.
0 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

Online
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
x 47
x 243
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:49 pm

^^ That's why i'm not overly concerned with Wentz and his accuracy...overall he is who he is. What i want to see is what is he working on. If he is having troubles with his normal mid-range issues and they are having him throw them more to work on it...no prob. If his accuracy issues are the layups, then you start worrying. I'm very excited about the potential of the offense, and its nice to see that we have multiple guys on defense that are making plays.
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
MissouriSkin
Ensign
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:33 pm
Age: 56
x 3
x 119
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby MissouriSkin » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:06 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:^^ That's why i'm not overly concerned with Wentz and his accuracy...overall he is who he is. What i want to see is what is he working on. If he is having troubles with his normal mid-range issues and they are having him throw them more to work on it...no prob. If his accuracy issues are the layups, then you start worrying. I'm very excited about the potential of the offense, and its nice to see that we have multiple guys on defense that are making plays.


Yeah, context to the interceptions is important. Are they working on a route he’s never thrown before? In this offense is the receiver 12 yards downfield and in Philly and Indy the receiver was 9 yards down on the at route and he’s getting used to throwing it shorter. There’s a lot that goes into this, and it is practice after all. Make yours mistakes now and learn from them. Sadly in our 24 hour sports news cycle all we hear is…”OMG Wentz threw 3 ints in 50 passes today so he sucks….just like I told you he would because I hated the trade and as someone who has never played organized football before, my opinion matters because I have a YouTube site”.
1 x
0 x

User avatar
skins7ny
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:02 pm
x 1
x 99
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby skins7ny » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:31 pm

Moe wrote:WaPo notes on practice:
-lots of injured guys being worked in slowly. Young, Logan Thomas, John Bates, Samuel, Apke and Larsen.
-Trai Turner sat out along with Smith-Williams, also working Roullier back in slowly and he's been elevated off the PUP.
-lots of praise for Dotson. He's picking up things quickly, flashes his skill routinely and is working in different positions, even some return duties.
-Gibson looks more cut and showed his quickness and speed in drills. Hammy was tight so he's not doing team stuff yet.
-RR praised Holcomb for his showing at MLB so far.

- to parrot Vegas above, saw that TE Rodgers has been impressing. Getting more time with Thomas and Bates out, so he's taking advantage.
- lots of 1v1's. WJ3 broke up a pass to McLaurin, and St-Juste blanketed Dotson. Dotson was able to later make a nice adjustment while covered by WJ3.
-Milne getting decent looks and just keep making plays. Several good, consistent practices from him.
-Wentz opened practice with a wide open 15 yarder to McLaurin. Ended practice with four straight completion, 1 to Terry, rest to RB's.
I think one of the knocks on Wentz in the past has been his unwillingness to check down to his safety valve, and his tendency to hold the ball too long looking for the big play. While we have had the other extreme at times the last few years, it is a fine line between being not aggressive enough and being too aggressive, and the perception seems to be that Wentz has been too aggressive over the course of his career.

Knowing what we know about Scott Turner and Ron Rivera, I imagine that they will be preaching to him that he needs to take what is there more often and not risk a sack and/or turnover trying to make a big play. If so, him getting the ball to his RBs might actually be a significant sign of growth and progress.

I do hope that the days of throwing 7 - yard passes on 3rd and 8 are over, though.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Age: 76
x 77
x 97
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby RI Skins fan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:15 pm

Throwing a 7-yard pass on 3rd and 8 is excellent if the yards after the catch is enough to get a 1st down

Whatever his tendencies are, Wentz offers the offense a lot more options than we've had for a while
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

User avatar
SkinsGuru
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:46 am
Age: 41
x 305
x 72
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby SkinsGuru » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:25 am

Moe wrote:WaPo notes on practice:
-lots of injured guys being worked in slowly. Young, Logan Thomas, John Bates, Samuel, Apke and Larsen.
-Trai Turner sat out along with Smith-Williams, also working Roullier back in slowly and he's been elevated off the PUP.
-lots of praise for Dotson. He's picking up things quickly, flashes his skill routinely and is working in different positions, even some return duties.
-Gibson looks more cut and showed his quickness and speed in drills. Hammy was tight so he's not doing team stuff yet.
-RR praised Holcomb for his showing at MLB so far.

- to parrot Vegas above, saw that TE Rodgers has been impressing. Getting more time with Thomas and Bates out, so he's taking advantage.
- lots of 1v1's. WJ3 broke up a pass to McLaurin, and St-Juste blanketed Dotson. Dotson was able to later make a nice adjustment while covered by WJ3.
-Milne getting decent looks and just keep making plays. Several good, consistent practices from him.
-Wentz opened practice with a wide open 15 yarder to McLaurin. Ended practice with four straight completion, 1 to Terry, rest to RB's.


Saw a video yesterday where Rivera was saying really good things about what he is seeing from Jamin Davis so far as well. Say he is not thinking, but playing and and is night and day compared to last year . . . HOPE SO!!!
1 x
0 x

User avatar
Moe
Commander
Posts: 3113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
x 4
x 131
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby Moe » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:29 am

skins7ny wrote:I think one of the knocks on Wentz in the past has been his unwillingness to check down to his safety valve, and his tendency to hold the ball too long looking for the big play. While we have had the other extreme at times the last few years, it is a fine line between being not aggressive enough and being too aggressive, and the perception seems to be that Wentz has been too aggressive over the course of his career.

Knowing what we know about Scott Turner and Ron Rivera, I imagine that they will be preaching to him that he needs to take what is there more often and not risk a sack and/or turnover trying to make a big play. If so, him getting the ball to his RBs might actually be a significant sign of growth and progress.

I do hope that the days of throwing 7 - yard passes on 3rd and 8 are over, though.

Yeah I've seen mention of the coaches stressing the use of the RB's in the passing game and focusing on Wentz targeting them. In Gibson, McKissic, Samuel and even Robinson they have guys that are dangerous with the ball in their hands in space. Factoring in RR's disdain for turnovers, this point of focus makes sense and aligns with what you are saying.
0 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
Moe
Commander
Posts: 3113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
x 4
x 131
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby Moe » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:49 am

Few more practices notes:
-Samuel was practicing, got lots of action in 11v11 and made some plays, took some contact and looked good. The combo of him, McLaurin and Dotson should give D's some headaches.
-offense is starting to look sharper and making plays. Two consecutive days with no turnovers from Wentz.
-LB Drew White done with a torn ACL. He was released with injury designation.
-seems likely that a body is brought in at LB, AJ Klein and Reggie Ragland names that were mentioned.
-RR had good things to say about DE Daniel Wise. He was signed last year mid-season and got some snaps and has shown improvement. They are looking for a 4th DE and maybe he takes it.
-TE Cole Turner has been playing really well and standing out. Looks like he and Hodges could both make the team if they opt for 4 TE's.
0 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
Moe
Commander
Posts: 3113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
x 4
x 131
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby Moe » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:36 am

Notes:
-LB rotations. Mayo getting more run with 1's on short yardage, Hudson and Davis got lots of looks with 2's.
-Davis is getting lots of praise for his practice so far, think they are just mixing and matching, but Mayo stronger in short yardage.
-Heinicke hit Reyes on a nice 20 yard td. cover 1 look and db's got juked on play action.
-Curl had a good day, fumble recovery and several good closing stops.
-Heinicke hit Robinson for a td in goal line. Robinson looks good in his routes so far.
-Wentz hit Gibson for a td as well. Lots of focus on RB's in the passing game.
-Goal line, D stuffed O 7 straight from the 1.
-Toohill mad two big stops in the stretch.
-Gibson had two fumbles today, but seems like an exchange problem and not a handle problem.
-LB Tre Walker retires. Added as a UDFA this year.
0 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

Online
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
x 47
x 243
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:59 pm

Moe wrote:Notes:
-LB rotations. Mayo getting more run with 1's on short yardage, Hudson and Davis got lots of looks with 2's.
-Davis is getting lots of praise for his practice so far, think they are just mixing and matching, but Mayo stronger in short yardage.
-Heinicke hit Reyes on a nice 20 yard td. cover 1 look and db's got juked on play action.
-Curl had a good day, fumble recovery and several good closing stops.
-Heinicke hit Robinson for a td in goal line. Robinson looks good in his routes so far.
-Wentz hit Gibson for a td as well. Lots of focus on RB's in the passing game.
-Goal line, D stuffed O 7 straight from the 1.
-Toohill mad two big stops in the stretch.
-Gibson had two fumbles today, but seems like an exchange problem and not a handle problem.
-LB Tre Walker retires. Added as a UDFA this year.


I read earlier today that he had a change of mind, met with Rivera, and is back with the team. Still a longshot to make the team though.
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
x 47
x 243
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:23 pm

The Washington Commanders are signing LB Nathan Gerry, source confirms.
0 x
0 x

Warpath23
Lieutenant
Posts: 1206
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:48 pm
Age: 43
x 3
x 11
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby Warpath23 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:09 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:The Washington Commanders are signing LB Nathan Gerry, source confirms.

Meh.. Really?? There's no LB out there better than that?
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
x 47
x 243
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:43 am

Some more roster churn at the bottom : https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -eli-wolf/
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
x 47
x 243
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:51 am

Warpath23 wrote:Meh.. Really?? There's no LB out there better than that?


Maybe they wanted a guy that has some coverage skills? Not like the guy is lock down though but was a former safety...so are they thinking of him at the Buffalo spot?
I know we have enough cap space, so i doubt it..but maybe they are waiting until after Game 1 so the contracts for a vet arent fully guaranteed? I dont remember the criteria for the contract status as it pertains to vets and the Game 1 lockup expires? Lots of question marks in my response, sorry.
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
MissouriSkin
Ensign
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:33 pm
Age: 56
x 3
x 119
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby MissouriSkin » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:12 am

Wonder if Collins will swallow his pride and come back.
0 x
0 x

User avatar
SkinsGuru
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:46 am
Age: 41
x 305
x 72
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby SkinsGuru » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:33 am

A trade i could get behind . . .

https://dailysnark.com/2022/08/09/breaking-bears-lb-roquan-smith-has-requested-a-trade/?fbclid=IwAR05DAHvEAMoHz_m1NCeSZSriZlemTAdGBEcABPRqWVIxF1uC-gD2knRwqM

Chicago Bears linebacker Roquan Smith has requested a trade, according Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

Smith, who’s entering the final year of his rookie deal, has been looking for a new contract since the beginning of training camp. Smith has been sidelined since the start of training camp on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list.

Smith released this statement via Rapoport, saying he lost trust in the organization in their attempts to take advantage of him during contract negotiations. He also feels like it hasn’t been so much as a negotiation rather than them pressuring him to take the deal or leave it:
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
x 47
x 243
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:50 am

^^ i read that this morning. His contract wants will probably keep us from making a play for him.

In other news, Ron Rivera fired DL coach Sam Mills , Assistant DL Coach Jeff Zgonina will replace him.
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
MissouriSkin
Ensign
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:33 pm
Age: 56
x 3
x 119
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby MissouriSkin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:51 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:^^ i read that this morning. His contract wants will probably keep us from making a play for him.

In other news, Ron Rivera fired DL coach Sam Mills , Assistant DL Coach Jeff Zgonina will replace him.


Isn’t the cap supposed to explode after this season?
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
MissouriSkin
Ensign
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:33 pm
Age: 56
x 3
x 119
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby MissouriSkin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:39 pm

We do have a history of getting great LBs from the Bears….just sayin….
1 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
x 47
x 243
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:44 pm

MissouriSkin wrote:Isn’t the cap supposed to explode after this season?


The cap should get a nice boost, but we also have a few of our own guys coming up on potential contracts...guys like Sweat, Payne, Holcomb etc. If Wentz works out, then I'm sure there will be some numbers re-worked..things like that. RR/JDR sure have an interesting thought process when it comes to our LB group.
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
MissouriSkin
Ensign
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:33 pm
Age: 56
x 3
x 119
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby MissouriSkin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:56 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:The cap should get a nice boost, but we also have a few of our own guys coming up on potential contracts...guys like Sweat, Payne, Holcomb etc. If Wentz works out, then I'm sure there will be some numbers re-worked..things like that. RR/JDR sure have an interesting thought process when it comes to our LB group.


Eh…I think they just can’t find guys they think can really help them and want to come here. I also think they’d have taken the kid from Georgia if his shoulder hadn’t been messed up. I look at it as they basically had to redo the roster from the ground up so they are doing the best they can and not “getting any LBer because we need a LBer” approach which I think is smart. The lightbulb coming on for Davis would sure help though.
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
x 47
x 243
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:14 pm

MissouriSkin wrote:Eh…I think they just can’t find guys they think can really help them and want to come here. I also think they’d have taken the kid from Georgia if his shoulder hadn’t been messed up. I look at it as they basically had to redo the roster from the ground up so they are doing the best they can and not “getting any LBer because we need a LBer” approach which I think is smart. The lightbulb coming on for Davis would sure help though.


The injury to Bostic last year started the "lets try Davis at MLB " mistake. If they let him do what he does best...sideline-to-sideline, use his speed for coverage and the random pass rush...he should be improved.
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
MissouriSkin
Ensign
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:33 pm
Age: 56
x 3
x 119
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby MissouriSkin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:21 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:The injury to Bostic last year started the "lets try Davis at MLB " mistake. If they let him do what he does best...sideline-to-sideline, use his speed for coverage and the random pass rush...he should be improved.


Yeah. I wish more people remembered that. They never wanted Davis at middle. People on Extreme still want Ron and Del Rio fired for that saying “they don’t know what they’re doing”. Facepalm….
0 x
0 x

Online
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Posts: 9198
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
x 47
x 243
Contact:

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:57 pm

MissouriSkin wrote:Yeah. I wish more people remembered that. They never wanted Davis at middle. People on Extreme still want Ron and Del Rio fired for that saying “they don’t know what they’re doing”. Facepalm….


I do think that Davis drafted at #19 was a bit too early, but i also dont believe that he was going to fall to R2. Someone would have jumped on his athletic potential despite the obvious rawness to him
0 x
0 x


Return to “Commanders All #Commanders Room”

Who is online

Users browsing this Washington forum: No registered users and 18 guests