2022 offseason...what now?

Your all Commanders Fan Forum, Come on in and join the group! All COMMANDERS, all the TIME!
skins7ny
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby skins7ny » Mon May 16, 2022 11:22 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:We have made the following roster moves:
Signed the following undrafted free agents:
-CB Nijuel Hill
-LB Bryce Notree

Released the following player:
-LB Jordan Kunaszyk

I also noticed that the UDFA DB Will Adams was signed to a 3yr/$2.5M deal. They must really like him, i cant recall many UDFA contracts going that much??
I read somewhere (Spotrac?) that UDFAs get similar money, $2.5M seems like a lot, but i think it tracks the standard/minimums for undrafted rookies. The key indicator of how much the signing team falues the UDFA is how much of the contract is guaranteed. I don't know the answer for Adams' contract.

Do you have any insight into Hill and Notree? PFT listed their stats, and Hill's was pretty impressive.

Was surprised that we cut Kunaszyk. The defensive coaches seemed to like him last year and wanted to keep him around. I didn't really see why, he didn't impress me when he played, but i was surprised nonetheless. I hope it means that they think that the UDFAs they signed in the off-season (or a returning guy like Eifler or Harris) is ready to step up. I can't say i have a ton of confidence in their judgment at LB.

Also, i notice that our roster is now at the max of 90, counting our 4 unsigned draftees, but excluding unsigned (but tendered) exclusive rights free agent DE Bunmi Rotimi. Dunno why Rotimi has not signed his tender yet, but unless we withdraw it (which i doubt), we will have to cut someone when he signs it, presumably this week before OTAs begin.
0 x
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon May 16, 2022 1:07 pm

As far as Kunaszyk, we was mainly a ST guy. Only logged 9 snaps on defense, so it seems we will go younger and cheaper to fill his spot.
I dont know much about the 2 new additions. Hill seems short ( for my preference ) at 5'9", but if he can play then i am fine here. Notree is probably someone they might try to groom for the BN role considering he is 6'3" 225lbs ? Assuming that the numbers on Hill's deal is correct, then the coaches must have easily seen a lot of upside with him.
Yeah, LB looks like an issue, but if we play a lot of snaps with only 1 or 2 LBs, maybe that alleviates some issue? That also assumes that Holcomb/Davis make it through the season injury free. I still expect a vet guy brought in, FO is probably waiting to see who might get released around the league.
0 x
0 x

skins7ny
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Postby skins7ny » Mon May 16, 2022 1:54 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:As far as Kunaszyk, we was mainly a ST guy. Only logged 9 snaps on defense, so it seems we will go younger and cheaper to fill his spot.
I dont know much about the 2 new additions. Hill seems short ( for my preference ) at 5'9", but if he can play then i am fine here. Notree is probably someone they might try to groom for the BN role considering he is 6'3" 225lbs ? Assuming that the numbers on Hill's deal is correct, then the coaches must have easily seen a lot of upside with him.
Yeah, LB looks like an issue, but if we play a lot of snaps with only 1 or 2 LBs, maybe that alleviates some issue? That also assumes that Holcomb/Davis make it through the season injury free. I still expect a vet guy brought in, FO is probably waiting to see who might get released around the league.
Makes sense. We don't have any games for three months, and there will be some quality guys at LB (and other positions) who will come free between now and September. I am still hoping for a big step up (as we all are) from Jamin Davis in year 2.

Two safeties went directly ahead of us in round 3, including the kid from Maryland, Nick Cross. I think he could have been a good fit for BN, but Colts jumped two spots ahead of us and grabbed him. Given our affinity for drafting DBs from MD, i wonder if he might have been the choice ahead of Brian Robinson, who might have still been there when we drafted a few spots later (at 113), although the Texans might have taken Robinson at 107. Of course, we'll (presumably) never know.
0 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Tue May 17, 2022 9:57 am

skins7ny wrote:I saw Chase at the draft announcing one of our picks. I would not have given him that opportunity, i would have rewarded someone who actually performed to his talent level last year. I really don't want to see Chase Young again until he is sacking, pressuring or tackling somebody. We have a long history of bringing in big names who get so full of themselves that they don't work to maximize their talent, and I am sick of that. It is a sign of terrible team culture, and goes back to ownership, enabled by a sycophantic media and desperate fan base. Young looked to be heading down that path, but his knee injury may have humbled and focused him-he definitely seemed more subdued and less full of himself at the draft. I hope that he is watching film of top pass-rushers and will work with his coaches on developing an arsenal of pass-rush moves when he is able to get back on the practice field. If he relies on pure talent, he will remain a 7-9 sack per year guy, which is okay but not anywhere near what his talent level should enable him to produce.

However you slice it, he's kinda the face of the franchise as a player based on his profile. I get your overall point, and certainly there is a history of style over substance when it comes to this team, so we'll see how this plays out, but he's got the talent and by all accounts the personality and ethic to be the player we all hope he can be, now he just has to put it out there on the field.
0 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Tue May 17, 2022 10:06 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:As far as Kunaszyk, we was mainly a ST guy. Only logged 9 snaps on defense, so it seems we will go younger and cheaper to fill his spot.

Hogs Haven had a few notes about the moves they recently made-
" Niguel Hill. Hill is a local player from Baltimore who played for the University of Delaware Blue Hens. He played 2021 as a 5th-year senior, and was named All-CAA Second Team, started all 11 games, and finished with 30 tackles (4 TFL), one forced fumbled, one interception and six pass breakups. He was also selected to the 2021 Fall CAA Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll.

LB Bryce Notree out of Southern Illinois, where he was a four-year starter — though he missed most of the 2019 season due to injury. In 2021, he started all 13 games and was the team leader with 91 tackles. He also had 4 sacks, 7.5 tackles for loss, and a pair of interceptions.

David Bada doesn't count against the roster since he's part of the Euro pathway program.
Team has a little over $9m in cap space, expect about $6m to be used to sign the draftees."

The team also dropped OG Bailey and picked up OT Drew Himmelman off waivers after Denver released him. He was undrafted out of Illinois State and spent last year on Denver's PS, dude is huge, 6'10" and 315lbs. no idea if he can play at all.

Also found a draft breakdown of Will Adams-
"Ht: 6012
Wt: 186

Pros:
On film, Adams is a physically imposing player. He looks the part and stands out among his peers. Virginia State utilizes Adams as the last line of defense, mostly as a deep free safety because of his range and tackling ability. He is a reliable tackler in space and coming downhill. The motor is there with Adams as well. He doesn’t take plays off and is constantly trying to chase down ball carriers. His intensity and play demeanor were also impressive. In coverage, Adams isn’t asked to do a ton, especially with the lack of quarterback play he faced but he displayed very good fluidity and movement skills.

Cons:
The level of competition will be the biggest knock on Adams. He was a tackling machine but only had one interception this past season. It partly had to do with what Virginia State asked him to do but Adams won’t be known for his playmaking ability in the pass game. Adams is a tall safety but he lacks the necessary weight and frame to hold up at the next level.

Summary:
After a stellar performance at the HBCU Combine, Adams popped up onto the radar. His great testing numbers, 40.5 inch vert and 10-3 broad jump, both show up on film. He is explosive coming downhill and moves really well. There was just a lack of production at the collegiate level, which is worrisome for the level of competition he faced. He definitely deserves a chance to be a camp body because of his testing.

Background:
Adams was born in Richmond, Virginia. He started playing college football in 2016 and really came on during his redshirt freshman season as a sophomore. Adams had 31 total tackles, 2.5 tackles for a loss and an interception. This past season in 2021, Adams recorded 61 tackles, 1.5 tackles for a loss and an interception. For his efforts on the season, Adams was named to the First Team All-CIAA Defensive Team. He was also invited to the inaugural HBCU combine, where he posted a 4.57 40-yard dash, 40.5 inch vertical, 10-3 broad jump and 21 reps on the bench press.

Quotable:
"He's looked good at every drill and in the workouts. Every scout is talking about him."-Jim Nagy, the Director of the Senior Bowl, on Adams combine performance."

Sounds like a guy with potential, could easily be added into coverage units, allow him to gain experience and strength and maybe turn into something.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby RI Skins fan » Tue May 17, 2022 10:07 am

a little over 100 days to the first game - we are fortunate to be where we are considering how bad we were at the end of the 2019 - that being said there is no doubt that there is a lot of pressure on Rivera & his staff to do a lot better with what they have

Rivera has control over this franchise - it's time to show that this franchise has moved on from the losing culture & losing mentality

IMO the FO has improved our roster - we now need to see that the product on the field can be consistently competitive
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue May 17, 2022 11:47 am

Even though i still would like to see both LB and CB brought in, i've also mentioned that i wanted to see us bring in another OT. Yesterday we claimed OT Drew Himmelman...huge guy at around 6'9" 320lbs. Read that he originally played both DE and TE, and basketball. Found this little bit on him :

Given his speed and size, teams would be happy to have him develop in their system. Granted, those technical skills do present red flags, ones that will be exposed if not corrected.
Strengths

Body and speed inspire images of an NBA power forward;
Plays with a ton of aggression and physicality;
Moves pretty well on the line, especially when considering his size;
Mauls smaller defenders, especially in the run game;
Gets his hands in the right place and lands his punches;
A huge frame allows him to absorb multiple defenders;
Hand strength allows him to maintain blockers for a while in the passing game.

Weaknesses

Lower level of competition as an FCS athlete;
Doesn’t always do a great job sealing the edge;
Footwork seems to be a little sloppy;
Missed a key year of development in 2020 due to the pandemic;
Some plays look like they’re without purpose;
Tends to get a little too high up on defenders;
Doesn’t always respond well to an edge rusher’s moves.

I see zero chance for him to make the roster this year but he is the kind of guy i like to have on the PS, see if Coach Matsko can develop him into someone useful. My guess is that he would be best suited for RT, but you never know.
0 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Wed May 18, 2022 4:01 pm

Team signed Dotson today on a 4 year deal, has also signed CB Christian Holmes, QB Sam Howell, OG Chris Paul and TE Cole Turner. Mathis Robinson Jr. and Butler have not yet signed, but expect that to happen soon.

Saw that Bradberry signed a one year deal with Philly..dammit. He improves on their biggest weaknesses.
0 x
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Wed May 18, 2022 5:58 pm

^^ Brian Robinson signed today also. New OT Himmelman has already been cut, failed physical
0 x
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Fri May 20, 2022 9:18 am

Interesting to see that AGG is making the switch from WR to TE. No word on how much weight he has added, but i think its a very smart move for him. Whether it will work out or not i have no clue, but playing him as a joker/move TE is probably his best shot
1 x
0 x

ILikeSonny09
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:53 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Interesting to see that AGG is making the switch from WR to TE. No word on how much weight he has added, but i think its a very smart move for him. Whether it will work out or not i have no clue, but playing him as a joker/move TE is probably his best shot

I also liked the report that Harmon has looked good. I like a WR corps of Mclaurin, Dotson, Samuel, Brown, Sims and Harmon- a great mix of speed, quickness and size options depending on what packages we want out there from play to play. I don't know what kind of blocker Sims is, but McLaurin and Harmon are pretty good at it and we won't get much in the running game from the other guys. I realize that Erickson is likely to bump someone but we'll see. TEs are looking like Thomas, Bates, and Turner, and one of either AGG or Reyes starting out with the other on PS; again, a caveat that Thomas may start the season on PUP. We're no more than a question mark in the league's view right now, but if Wentz produces, the potential is there to be very dominating.
0 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Fri May 20, 2022 9:56 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Interesting to see that AGG is making the switch from WR to TE. No word on how much weight he has added, but i think its a very smart move for him. Whether it will work out or not i have no clue, but playing him as a joker/move TE is probably his best shot

Keim said it's been in the works for a while and he's put on some noticeable bulk as a result. Reminiscent of Niles Paul a few years ago, but it remains to be seen if AGG has the toughness to translate, but probably his best chance to make the team and his WR background could be a weapon. He has the frame and his lack of quickness was really holding him back against DB's.
Keim mentioned that they talked with Harmon about possibly doing the same a year or so ago and he resisted, now with AGG out of the mix, Harmon might have more of an opportunity to be the big body WR. Reports are that Harmon has looked healthy and strong this spring.

Keim also talked with OG Chris Paul's college OL coach, Zach Hanson, who also coached LT Tyler Smith whom Dallas drafted.
Notes:
- called him a steal. Can play OG or OT.
- very smart, adapts quickly.
- said he's special and has it in him to emerge as a multi year starter.
- great foot quickness and athleticism and he processes info very quickly.
- is a musician and his dream job is to be the Secretary of Defense.
- can step in quickly and play, perhaps a more natural OG but with reps can fill in and grow at OT.
- one thing to work on is translating his strength consistently to the field, has it in him needs to bring it all the time.
- unfortunately he said Tyler Smith might be the most naturally gifted OL he's ever coached. Very strong and flexible and plays with a mean streak. Keim said Washington was high on him as well, said they were eyeballing him for 2nd/3rd round but Dallas took him early.

Read part of Bullock's breakdown on 7th round pick CB Christian Holmes:
- good measurables
- has the high confidence you want in a DB
- better suited for zone or off-man coverage
- technique issues in press, opens hips too quickly and not very physical with his hands.
0 x
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Fri May 20, 2022 10:21 am

Moe wrote:Keim said it's been in the works for a while and he's put on some noticeable bulk as a result. Reminiscent of Niles Paul a few years ago, but it remains to be seen if AGG has the toughness to translate, but probably his best chance to make the team and his WR background could be a weapon. He has the frame and his lack of quickness was really holding him back against DB's.
Keim mentioned that they talked with Harmon about possibly doing the same a year or so ago and he resisted, now with AGG out of the mix, Harmon might have more of an opportunity to be the big body WR. Reports are that Harmon has looked healthy and strong this spring.

Keim also talked with OG Chris Paul's college OL coach, Zach Hanson, who also coached LT Tyler Smith whom Dallas drafted.
Notes:
- called him a steal. Can play OG or OT.
- very smart, adapts quickly.
- said he's special and has it in him to emerge as a multi year starter.
- great foot quickness and athleticism and he processes info very quickly.
- is a musician and his dream job is to be the Secretary of Defense.
- can step in quickly and play, perhaps a more natural OG but with reps can fill in and grow at OT.
- one thing to work on is translating his strength consistently to the field, has it in him needs to bring it all the time.
- unfortunately he said Tyler Smith might be the most naturally gifted OL he's ever coached. Very strong and flexible and plays with a mean streak. Keim said Washington was high on him as well, said they were eyeballing him for 2nd/3rd round but Dallas took him early.

Read part of Bullock's breakdown on 7th round pick CB Christian Holmes:
- good measurables
- has the high confidence you want in a DB
- better suited for zone or off-man coverage
- technique issues in press, opens hips too quickly and not very physical with his hands.

I really liked what i saw in Harmon despite any "elite" athletic traits. Seemed to love to block and had solid hands. I'm really liking the WR mix/versatility that we seem to have. Guys of all sizes that can be lined up all over.

- This TE battle in camp is going to be probably my favorite battle. I already like Thomas/Bates, but now you throw in these 1st year guys like Turner/Hodges/Rogers along with AGG and Reyes....that adds more size. And if i had to go out on a limb, i think AGG/Reyes are more on the bubble that the 3 rookies. Even though lowest on the totem pole of the rookies, I will be pulling for Rogers. Terrible QB but should have some idea on routes, just not sure how well he can run them. I do see him as also being a hybrid HB/FB/wildcat type of guy.

- as far as OL, i like the Paul and Robinson additions...even if only for depth. I dont see either as playing OT in the NFL, but having some college experience outside is never a bad thing. Possibly another OT addition is coming, but probably not the top priority?

- Holmes, on paper, probably has the toughest shot at making the team. His one saving grace is that CB depth isnt overly strong, so who knows. In watching his tape you can see the hip issues, which our coach will have to get on quickly. It was encouraging to at least see Holmes be able to stick fairly close to the WR, but that was college. NFL WRs will have him turning like a top until he gets that fixed. A vet CB is probably still on the offseason radar.

Really digging the versatility we have brought in : safeties that can play slot cb, RBs that can split out as wr. Maybe a guy like Hudson/Forrest can step into the BN role? Assuming that we get solid QB play from Wentz, i can see us being more aggressive next offseason....so far Rivera has been fairly conservative in his approach. If Wentz fails , then that plan is out the window for the time being
0 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Fri May 20, 2022 12:38 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:I really liked what i saw in Harmon despite any "elite" athletic traits. Seemed to love to block and had solid hands. I'm really liking the WR mix/versatility that we seem to have. Guys of all sizes that can be lined up all over.

Agree. He's not flashy or explosive but he has good hands and moves the chains. I could see him possibly being an h-back type in certain sets.

- This TE battle in camp is going to be probably my favorite battle. I already like Thomas/Bates, but now you throw in these 1st year guys like Turner/Hodges/Rogers along with AGG and Reyes....that adds more size. And if i had to go out on a limb, i think AGG/Reyes are more on the bubble that the 3 rookies. Even though lowest on the totem pole of the rookies, I will be pulling for Rogers. Terrible QB but should have some idea on routes, just not sure how well he can run them. I do see him as also being a hybrid HB/FB/wildcat type of guy.

Yeah some tough cuts here. Thomas is reportedly going to miss at least the early portion of camp which will open things up some, but it seems like there'll be some churn here. Can see one of Reyes/AGG getting bumped and maybe 2 of the young guys stashed on PS.

- as far as OL, i like the Paul and Robinson additions...even if only for depth. I dont see either as playing OT in the NFL, but having some college experience outside is never a bad thing. Possibly another OT addition is coming, but probably not the top priority?

Paul having experience at OT won't hurt him and could allow him to fill in if there was a rash of injuries. Them kicking the tires on Himmelman does suggest that they might look at some more OT's, seems reasonable.

- Holmes, on paper, probably has the toughest shot at making the team. His one saving grace is that CB depth isnt overly strong, so who knows. In watching his tape you can see the hip issues, which our coach will have to get on quickly. It was encouraging to at least see Holmes be able to stick fairly close to the WR, but that was college. NFL WRs will have him turning like a top until he gets that fixed. A vet CB is probably still on the offseason radar.

7th rounder at a very demanding position...yeah he's probably a long shot, but he has potential and that's what late round picks are for. Very hopeful that St-Juste comes back healthy and can keep growing, he looked like a gem.

Really digging the versatility we have brought in : safeties that can play slot cb, RBs that can split out as wr. Maybe a guy like Hudson/Forrest can step into the BN role? Assuming that we get solid QB play from Wentz, i can see us being more aggressive next offseason....so far Rivera has been fairly conservative in his approach. If Wentz fails , then that plan is out the window for the time being

Totally agree, just hope there aren't too many guys that 'can' play a spot but don't excel at it specifically. Best case, the offense is more consistent and puts up points which will carry them the furthest along.
0 x
0 x

skins7ny
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Postby skins7ny » Fri May 20, 2022 8:23 pm

CB Jimmy Moreland cut by Texans today. Was a fan favorite here, but I doubt we bring him back given that we cut him in the first place. We’ll see.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby RI Skins fan » Sat May 21, 2022 9:52 pm

skins7ny wrote:CB Jimmy Moreland cut by Texans today. Was a fan favorite here, but I doubt we bring him back given that we cut him in the first place. We’ll see.

we don't need players who are 'fan favorites' we need players that make the other players better
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

skins7ny
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Postby skins7ny » Sat May 21, 2022 10:43 pm

RI Skins fan wrote:we don't need players who are 'fan favorites' we need players that make the other players better
I wasn’t advocating that we bring him back. In fact, I posted at the time that I thought he was overrated by the fan base and media and had no problem w the decision to cut him.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby RI Skins fan » Sun May 22, 2022 4:54 pm

skins7ny wrote:I wasn’t advocating that we bring him back. In fact, I posted at the time that I thought he was overrated by the fan base and media and had no problem w the decision to cut him.
good call
0 x
0 x

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Mon May 23, 2022 4:46 pm

Moreland signed with Philly. Was a little surprised when Washington cut him, but he barely played last year, so maybe I wasn't seeing him properly.

Washington signed OT Aaron Montiero, originally signed as a UDFA by Miami in '19 after 32 starts at BC. Has bounced around and never played in a game.
0 x
0 x

Maddog97
Ensign

Postby Maddog97 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:37 am

So, the team purchased land in Virginia for a possible new stadium along the I-95 corridor. Traffic on I-95 is historically congested and now you put a domed stadium complex there? I want to see how the taxpayers react to funding support. The name issue is gone but Snyder's reputation is a big negative. Still, an NFL franchise is coveted.
0 x
0 x
True change requires patience and fortitude!

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Tue May 24, 2022 9:26 am

^^
Apparently it's a land rights option and not an actual purchase. Word is they looked at a site in Ashburn but were rejected (and offered more money). I know any type of stadium deal is super complex and getting anything done in DC is a nightmare, but that's clearly where the stadium should be...of course this owner never operates with what's proper in mind, so it'll probably wind up in West Virginia to 'expand the fanbase' or something. Personally, I don't have any stake, I don't live there anymore and most stadium experiences fall well short of my house anyway, but it'd be nice to see this team do something right at some point.
0 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Tue May 24, 2022 3:45 pm

OTA notes:
-not present were Young (rehab'ing in CO), Sweat (family issue, expected back Wed), Curl (having a baby) and McLaurin (contract)
-Wentz's size and arm are clearly noticeable and Gibson commented on it being a little shocking
-Wentz hit Dotson in 11v11 on a nice crosser. Corn Elder was the first guy to get an INT.
-Samuel looked healthy and was really flying around. He looks fast and confident.
-AGG is in with the TE and with Thomas and Reyes both in rehab he'll get plenty of time to work on things.
-Apke was practicing with S's and not DB's so maybe that experiment is over.
-
0 x
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue May 24, 2022 5:08 pm

Moe wrote:OTA notes:
-not present were Young (rehab'ing in CO), Sweat (family issue, expected back Wed), Curl (having a baby) and McLaurin (contract)
-Wentz's size and arm are clearly noticeable and Gibson commented on it being a little shocking
-Wentz hit Dotson in 11v11 on a nice crosser. Corn Elder was the first guy to get an INT.
-Samuel looked healthy and was really flying around. He looks fast and confident.
-AGG is in with the TE and with Thomas and Reyes both in rehab he'll get plenty of time to work on things.
-Apke was practicing with S's and not DB's so maybe that experiment is over.
-

- i think it was Cam Sims not there to having a baby?
- Also, in addition to AGG I saw that Cole Turner was getting a lot of work
- I dont mention Apke much, and he might be on the bubble for real this time, but wondered if he could be a spot BN. About the same size as Curl with more speed but not as agile overall. Thinking the same with both Hudson and Forrest for that role too.
0 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Wed May 25, 2022 9:46 am

^^ Yes, Sims not Curl, thanks for catch.
-Payne worked out and attended meetings but didn't practice as a result of being unhappy with his contract status. Seems like something will unfold here.
-Keim has a story about Gibson and his off-season training that detailed him dropping some weight (body fat down to 12% from 18%) so he can be quicker. He's also been working on ball security, using heavier balls, and working under hurdles to improve his flexibility and make him more elusive. Said the fractured shin he played through last year was part of the fumbling issue as it hurt when he was hit and he was trying to protect that some.
-Also mention pairing Robinson Jr. together with him, and how his physical nature can form a nice combo.
0 x
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Wed May 25, 2022 10:18 am

^^ i really like what we are building on the offensive side of things. Tough run game with a potentially explosive passing game. Once we extend McLaurin we can breathe a bit easier. When you can beat a team and impose your will on them via both running and passing it will stress a D both physically and mentally. Pound the run and they have to bring up 8men while allows us to beat them with any of our speed guys. Stress their secondary and let Gibson/Robinson/OL hammer them. That's not even talking about using AG/JDM or the TEs using the mid-level area. Stay healthy and creative and we should have a very fun offense this season.

On D, LB could be an issue outside of CH/JD, interested in seeing how that plays out. I do hope JDR lets Fuller and WJ3 play more man. As far as Payne, i really like him but no way do i pay him JA money. Maybe you go up to $14M/yr but no higher and preferably around $12M.
0 x
0 x

greesdermos
Seaman

Postby greesdermos » Wed May 25, 2022 5:38 pm

Aaahhhhh a discussion of WFTs off-season. It’s what we WFT fans do best.
I agree our D has underperformed and I’m looking at JDR. Seems he is stubborn at fitting square pegs in round hole (Bostic in pass coverage etc.).
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby RI Skins fan » Wed May 25, 2022 7:42 pm

need to get this thread back on top ...
0 x
0 x

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Thu May 26, 2022 10:19 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:^^ i really like what we are building on the offensive side of things. Tough run game with a potentially explosive passing game. Once we extend McLaurin we can breathe a bit easier. When you can beat a team and impose your will on them via both running and passing it will stress a D both physically and mentally. Pound the run and they have to bring up 8men while allows us to beat them with any of our speed guys. Stress their secondary and let Gibson/Robinson/OL hammer them. That's not even talking about using AG/JDM or the TEs using the mid-level area. Stay healthy and creative and we should have a very fun offense this season.

Lots of potential for this offense, and I hope it can come together but there are questions and it could take some time to get them all on the same page. If Wentz can keep the ratio of really bad-to-really good plays in the 1-3 or 1-4 range, then it'll be a much tougher unit to face.

On D, LB could be an issue outside of CH/JD, interested in seeing how that plays out. I do hope JDR lets Fuller and WJ3 play more man. As far as Payne, i really like him but no way do i pay him JA money. Maybe you go up to $14M/yr but no higher and preferably around $12M.

I want to see cohesion from the D, regardless of set up. It felt like the coaches and players found some rhythm later last year, so hopefully they can build off that and use the return of Young and improvements from the new/younger guys to trend higher than last year right out of the gate.
As for Payne, I really like him as a player and get his stance but he's in a tough spot. He's the most replaceable of the bunch, even though I think he brings a lot to the table. IMO I think even $12m/yr might be a little high, at least for this team and that might be how this ends. He'd have trade value but this team is thin at DT suddenly, which I'm sure his agent is clear about. It's a rotational spot by nature but without Settle and Iaonnidis they have very little proven experience on the roster and while there are always bodies to be added, I guess then it comes down to a cost/production debate.
0 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Thu May 26, 2022 10:27 am

Two significant changes to IR and PS rules were voted on:
-teams can now designate up to 8 players for return from IR (up from 3 last year).
- however, players put on IR have to miss at least 4 games before return, up from 3 last year (weird change IMO).
-PS players can be elevated to game-day roster three times per season, up from twice last year.
-PS limits are also set to 16 which is an increase.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby RI Skins fan » Thu May 26, 2022 10:37 am

Moe wrote:Lots of potential for this offense, and I hope it can come together but there are questions and it could take some time to get them all on the same page. If Wentz can keep the ratio of really bad-to-really good plays in the 1-3 or 1-4 range, then it'll be a much tougher unit to face.
I want to see cohesion from the D, regardless of setup. It felt like the coaches and players found some rhythm later last year, so hopefully, they can build off that and use the return of Young and improvements from the new/younger guys to trend higher than last year right out of the gate.
As for Payne, I really like him as a player and get his stance but he's in a tough spot. He's the most replaceable of the bunch, even though I think he brings a lot to the table. IMO I think even $12m/yr might be a little high, at least for this team and that might be how this ends. He'd have trade value but this team is thin at DT suddenly, which I'm sure his agent is clear about. It's a rotational spot by nature but without Settle and Ioannidis they have very little proven experience on the roster and while there are always bodies to be added, I guess then it comes down to a cost/production debate.

do you have any indication that Wentz is making a bunch of really bad plays? OTA info indicates that everyone is really impressed with him

Regarding Payne - this is not a "cost/production debate" - we need to pay Payne what it takes to keep him to make sure that we're not thin at the DT position
PLUS
Payne is not 'just a DT' - he's a good DT
0 x
0 x

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Return to “Commanders All #Commanders Room”