Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Your all Commanders Fan Forum, Come on in and join the group! All COMMANDERS, all the TIME!
VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:32 pm

Moe wrote:^^^I can see the WR and TE positions competing for spots as you point out. The flexibility of what many of these guys can do, combined with what Turner wants to run will rule the day. Also Wentz targets TE's a lot, so that likely factors in as well. Guys who can produce on ST's will be massive and the makeup of the practice squad will be interesting. Ideally, it's a decision based on talent/skill and not reduced to who's available due to injury, but we'll see. Just glad to see them having this level of competition on the offense, that alone bodes well.

I unintentially left 2 things out from my post : AGG is definitely in the mix for one of the TE spots, and second : have to add potential injuries in addition to special teams being a roster factor
1 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:41 am

Speaking of depth WR's, HogsHaven had a little breakdown on Jequez Ezzard.
5'9" and @195lbs, ran a 4.43 40.
Spent time at Howard where he was very productive then graduate transfer to Sam Houston State where he played for 2 years. Played in a bit of a gimmicky offense, but over two years put up 79 catches, @1500 yards and 15 td's (career average of 22.4 yards per catch, wow) and was also the primary punt returner where he averaged 17.4 yards per return with 2 td's in '20, back to earth average of 10.5 in '21, but still solid.
He likely can only make this team as a special teamer, possibly the backup returner or maybe he could take that spot. In watching the highlight clip, despite his size, he looks solid and he can really move. Quick cutter and when he gets up to speed he can fly. Word is he needs to work on route running and could find a role as a slot receiver, but he needs work. Probably gets a long look in pre-season and based on his athleticism I suspect he'll flash some.
0 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:16 am

^^ i could see Ezzard , at worst, making it to the PS. Erickson probably has the advantage at WR6 due to experience. Who knows though, coaches might want another one of those taller UDFA guys as a ST/redzone threat too. It will probably be the toughest camp decision to make for them on offense. I only feel that 1 or at most 2 spots on offense are up for grabs. Defense i can see 4-5 spots that need to be settled.
1 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby RI Skins fan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:05 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:^^ i could see Ezzard , at worst, making it to the PS. Erickson probably has the advantage at WR6 due to experience. Who knows though, coaches might want another one of those taller UDFA guys as a ST/redzone threat too. It will probably be the toughest camp decision to make for them on offense. I only feel that 1 or at most 2 spots on offense are up for grabs. Defense i can see 4-5 spots that need to be settled.

I agree Vegas - and the biggest question of all does not involve the players - Will JDR finally become a decent DC?
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Skins-R-Us
Owner

Postby Skins-R-Us » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:12 pm

2 x
0 x
Washington Football Team, NFC Champs 2020

MissouriSkin
Ensign

Postby MissouriSkin » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:39 pm

RI Skins fan wrote:I agree Vegas - and the biggest question of all does not involve the players - Will JDR finally become a decent DC?

Actually if you look back, Jack has had a decent amount of success as a D coordinator including a few top 5 defenses. I think it’s time people realize and accept the fact that the D wasn’t really all that good in 2019 despite their ranking as they fed off of a lot of beat up teams with backup QBs…I mean that is an easily researched fact. In 20 they struggled but I don’t see how people didn’t expect that given they played a lot of topped ranked QBs and offenses in the league with very little to no help from an offense crippled by a very limited QB. Hard to beat guys like Mahomes when the offense continually goes three and out…..I think the combination of an easier schedule, much better offense and yes, some guys on the D eating some humble pie will make for a much better performance.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby RI Skins fan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:24 pm

I'm more of a what have you done lately guy - IMO the main reason for the defensive play last season was Jack Del Rio
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Farmer Ted
Lieutenant

Postby Farmer Ted » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:58 pm

Del Rio had 6 first round picks on his defense last year. He did a crap job with them imo.
2 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:28 am

MissouriSkin wrote:Actually if you look back, Jack has had a decent amount of success as a D coordinator including a few top 5 defenses. I think it’s time people realize and accept the fact that the D wasn’t really all that good in 2019 despite their ranking as they fed off of a lot of beat up teams with backup QBs…I mean that is an easily researched fact. In 20 they struggled but I don’t see how people didn’t expect that given they played a lot of topped ranked QBs and offenses in the league with very little to no help from an offense crippled by a very limited QB. Hard to beat guys like Mahomes when the offense continually goes three and out…..I think the combination of an easier schedule, much better offense and yes, some guys on the D eating some humble pie will make for a much better performance.

100% right. They ended '19 playing some terrible QB's and were fortunate to get some timely turnovers during that stretch that made a big difference. Last year they started horribly, the injuries hit and they faced a first place schedule, so predictably they struggled. I do think they settled in as the year progressed and got some decent production from some of the young front 7 guys, but they need to start this season in much better form from the get-go. JDR is living on his rep and there's any number of reasons for him to be on a warm seat at this season gets going. As you point out, better support from the offense will be his best friend, but that unit will be under a spotlight considering the alleged talent present.
0 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:35 am

HogHaven had a breakdown of UDFA Tyrese Robinson, OL from OK.

"I enjoyed this quote from Simon Carroll, Head Of NFL Draft Content at Touchdown.com:

Watching Tyrese Robinson is a hell of a lot of fun. A true tone setter on the Sooners o-line, Robinson is a guy who helps establish a dominant culture within a group, and backs it up on the field with a no holds barred approach to winning in the trenches. Robinson comes with obvious limitations; he’s not the most agile and despite having experience on the outside will be playing guard at the next level. He stands to get better quickly if he can channel his aggression and play a little more controlled, improving his footwork and positioning as a result. But ultimately he looks to be a backup in the NFL whose sheer enthusiasm to go and hit someone into submission will rub off on his teammates.

Robinson is 6’3”, and the Commanders website lists him at 324 pounds. At Oklahoma, Robinson started at right guard for two seasons before 2021, when Robinson made the move to right tackle to help coaches put the best five linemen on the field. In his new role, he started all 13 games and earned Second-Team All-Big 12 honors from the Associated Press.

In the NFL he will almost certainly play guard, but his year of experience at right tackle in the Big 12 conference will provide a bit of positional versatility as well.

On a Ron Rivera coached team, I think it’s clear that there will be 10 offensive linemen on the 53-man roster. When you count up the veterans and draft picks ahead of Robinson, I don’t think there’s any question of him competing for a spot on the regular roster in 2022. The UDFA will almost certainly spend training camp trying to earn a spot on the Practice Squad, where he can develop his strength, understanding of the game and positional techniques to the level where he can eventually compete for a guard spot in the NFL.

A quick glance at his measurables in spider chart and tabular formats will show that he does not have an elite athletic profile.....Still, this is a guy who had 38 starts in a major college program (15 at right tackle; 23 at right guard) and was named 2nd team All-Big 12 (AP) in 2021. Opinions vary, but he seems to project anywhere from a career practice squad player to an eventual starter. To reach his highest potential, he’ll have to use technique and intelligence to overcome physical limitations."
0 x
0 x

Little General
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Little General » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am

Hey Moe, does your post about a tackle draft pick mean that they did or did not blow it with Terry McLaurin? As far as number 17 is concerned, I will be very curious to see how he plays this year and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he got banged up in pre season somehow. Just sayin.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby RI Skins fan » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:42 pm

Little General wrote:Hey Moe, does your post about a tackle draft pick mean that they did or did not blow it with Terry McLaurin? As far as number 17 is concerned, I will be very curious to see how he plays this year and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he got banged up in pre-season somehow. Just sayin.

IMO Scary Terry is going to have a much better season - we have added a better QB, we have added another WR weapon, we have a good group of TEs and RBs - the offensive line looks improved what's not to like looking forward :D
0 x
0 x

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Little General
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Little General » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:12 am

RI Skins fan wrote:IMO Scary Terry is going to have a much better season - we have added a better QB, we have added another WR weapon, we have a good group of TEs and RBs - the offensive line looks improved what's not to like looking forward :D

I am in agreement with everything you say which is why they "should" win the East. When I posted that in the past I was summarily laughed at by other posters. The question is, can they change "should" to "will" win the East? Very soon the actual playing will begin.
0 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:24 am

Little General wrote:Hey Moe, does your post about a tackle draft pick mean that they did or did not blow it with Terry McLaurin? As far as number 17 is concerned, I will be very curious to see how he plays this year and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he got banged up in pre season somehow. Just sayin.

I think they nailed McLaurin's deal. Got off tangent with some of the roster/Del Rio/udfa stuff above.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby RI Skins fan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:48 am

Little General wrote:I am in agreement with everything you say which is why they "should" win the East. When I posted that in the past I was summarily laughed at by other posters. The question is, can they change "should" to "will" win the East? Very soon the actual playing will begin.

nothing is a given - the Redskins have improved their offense and should be better defensively

It's a bit of a leap to think they 'should' win the NFC East but making the playoffs is a possibility
1 x
0 x

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:50 am

RR named McLaurin a captain. He's earned it, kid is humble, works his butt off and produces. Hope he keeps ascending and can see success along with the team. After officially signing his deal yesterday he's off to have some private work outs with Wentz.
2 x
0 x

Return to “Commanders All #Commanders Room”