Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Your all Commanders Fan Forum, Come on in and join the group! All COMMANDERS, all the TIME!
User avatar
Farmer Ted
Lieutenant
Posts: 1306
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:29 am
x 570
x 116
Contact:

Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Farmer Ted » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:22 pm

What will happen with McLaurin? The team can sign him to a long term deal soon, do nothing and then franchise him, or trade him (now or later). We know what is at the end of the rainbow if they franchise him, because we have seen that play out twice in the recent past. Signing him would be my option, but the price tag will be big. I don't have much confidence in this front office's ability to make a good trade. They traded the best tackle in the NFL to SF for 3d and 5th round picks. I'm not sure they will do much better with McLaurin, although they would probably get more in return now than if they try to move him when it is too late.

Anyway, I don't see this ending well, although I hope that I am wrong.
0 x
0 x

User avatar
lorimike
Lieutenant
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:36 pm
x 46
x 59
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby lorimike » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:40 pm

Farmer Ted wrote:What will happen with McLaurin? The team can sign him to a long term deal soon, do nothing and then franchise him, or trade him (now or later). We know what is at the end of the rainbow if they franchise him, because we have seen that play out twice in the recent past. Signing him would be my option, but the price tag will be big. I don't have much confidence in this front office's ability to make a good trade. They traded the best tackle in the NFL to SF for 3d and 5th round picks. I'm not sure they will do much better with McLaurin, although they would probably get more in return now than if they try to move him when it is too late.

Anyway, I don't see this ending well, although I hope that I am wrong.
<<<<

I think they have been reading their press clippings on this topic and will get a deal done before training camp.
0 x
0 x

Little General
Chief Petty Officer
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 am
Age: 73
x 31
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Little General » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:23 am

The Hill contract with the Dolphins has made receivers now believe that they should be paid like qbs who are grossly overpaid thanks to boneheaded owners. In a way this is good because eventually the huge disparity in how players are compensated can't be good for the game as a whole. Running backs, linebackers, safeties and lineman other than so called now edge rushers are just as important as these prima donna qbs and receivers and are the real football players on the field. They should all go on position strikes.
0 x
0 x

User avatar
Moe
Commander
Posts: 3113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
x 4
x 132
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Moe » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:34 am

He can expect somewhere in the Mike Williams range of low $20-23m/yr average with @$45-50m in guarantees. Hill isn't the one who screwed the market, he's legit and worth it, it was Kirk getting $18m from Jax that made no sense and that raised the floor on costs.

I just posted a hypothetical I read about McLaurin's deal from hogshaven over in the draft thread, essentially they can give him a few 5 year deal with roughly the above numbers and it barely moves the cap space needle this year and can be massaged going forward.
1 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Age: 76
x 77
x 97
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby RI Skins fan » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:03 pm

Little General wrote:The Hill contract with the Dolphins has made receivers now believe that they should be paid like qbs who are grossly overpaid thanks to boneheaded owners. In a way, this is good because eventually, the huge disparity in how players are compensated can't be good for the game as a whole. Running backs, linebackers, safeties and linemen other than so-called now edge rushers are just as important as these prima donna qbs and receivers and are the real football players on the field. They should all go on position strikes.
you may be right but IMO you are a little off base - from all that I've been reading and from what I can gather from Moe and Vegas posts, the Redskins FO have a good handle on what they need to do
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Age: 76
x 77
x 97
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby RI Skins fan » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:08 pm

Farmer Ted wrote:What will happen with McLaurin? The team can sign him to a long term deal soon, do nothing and then franchise him, or trade him (now or later). We know what is at the end of the rainbow if they franchise him, because we have seen that play out twice in the recent past. Signing him would be my option, but the price tag will be big. I don't have much confidence in this front office's ability to make a good trade. They traded the best tackle in the NFL to SF for 3d and 5th round picks. I'm not sure they will do much better with McLaurin, although they would probably get more in return now than if they try to move him when it is too late.

Anyway, I don't see this ending well, although I hope that I am wrong.

in answer to the question - NO! The Redskins will have McLaurin signed to a contract here shortly

many here thought that Williams wasn't worth anything and did not want him on the roster

I have a LOT of confidence in this FO
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Little General
Chief Petty Officer
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 am
Age: 73
x 31
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Little General » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:29 pm

Per RI Skins fan..."you may be right but IMO you are a little off base - from all that I've been reading and from what I can gather from Moe and Vegas posts, the Redskins FO have a good handle on what they need to do"

I hope you are right and by the way if it (the FO) does it would be the first time in about 20 years. Wentz needs McLaurin and he needs an all in McLaurin.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Age: 76
x 77
x 97
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby RI Skins fan » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:56 pm

Little General wrote:Per RI Skins fan..."you may be right but IMO you are a little off base - from all that I've been reading and from what I can gather from Moe and Vegas posts, the Redskins FO have a good handle on what they need to do"
I hope you are right and by the way if it (the FO) does it would be the first time in about 20 years. Wentz needs McLaurin and he needs an all in McLaurin.
no worries mate ...
this FO knows what it takes - this franchise was a disaster in 2019 - Rivera and co will have things fixed soon
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Little General
Chief Petty Officer
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 am
Age: 73
x 31
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Little General » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:27 am

I hope you feel the same way after about game 6 of the upcoming season. For some reason the actual games seem to mess things up.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Age: 76
x 77
x 97
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby RI Skins fan » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:54 pm

Little General wrote:I hope you feel the same way after game 6 of the upcoming season. For some reason, the actual games seem to mess things up.

No worries - I feel good about where we are now compared to where we were in December 2019 - I'm confident that these guys will continue fixing the mess that dumb and dumber created
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Little General
Chief Petty Officer
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 am
Age: 73
x 31
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Little General » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:45 am

With the draft looming, if they select a wide receiver early it might give an indication of how much confidence they have in the McLaurin situation. Unfortunately, top players who want to contend for playoffs and more and, of course, more $, have little or no interest in playing for this team. It all gets back to pointing in the same direction.
0 x
0 x

User avatar
Moe
Commander
Posts: 3113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
x 4
x 132
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Moe » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:23 am

Little General wrote:With the draft looming, if they select a wide receiver early it might give an indication of how much confidence they have in the McLaurin situation. Unfortunately, top players who want to contend for playoffs and more and, of course, more $, have little or no interest in playing for this team. It all gets back to pointing in the same direction.

I don't think them drafting a WR means much as it relates to McLaurin. There is a need at that spot, they have potential but they are thin, and drafting a WR only to move on from McLaurin is just spinning wheels. They can pay him and he's earned it.
0 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

#1fan
Seaman
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:52 pm
Age: 59
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby #1fan » Mon May 02, 2022 8:57 pm

Mclaurin is going anywhere...Now that we drafted Jahan Dotson we have a very strong WR group... Let's Go Commmanders
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Age: 76
x 77
x 97
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby RI Skins fan » Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 pm

Moe wrote:I don't think them drafting a WR means much as it relates to McLaurin. There is a need at that spot, they have potential but they are thin, and drafting a WR only to move on from McLaurin is just spinning wheels. They can pay him and he's earned it.

I agree - adding a WR was need and had NOTHING to do with keeping McLaurin - McLaurin will get the $ he deserves

anyone who thinks otherwise is just not very knowledgeable about the situation here
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Little General
Chief Petty Officer
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 am
Age: 73
x 31
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Little General » Tue May 03, 2022 11:44 am

RI Skins fan wrote:I agree - adding a WR was need and had NOTHING to do with keeping McLaurin - McLaurin will get the $ he deserves

anyone who thinks otherwise is just not very knowledgeable about the situation here


And the situation is that this is the Washington Redskins/Football Team/ Commanders Snyder regime we are talking about. You are not considering what Terry McLaurin's thoughts are about all of this. They drafted Howell just in case. They drafted the Penn St. receiver just in case.
1 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Age: 76
x 77
x 97
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby RI Skins fan » Tue May 03, 2022 1:40 pm

Little General wrote:And the situation is that this is the Washington Redskins/Football Team/ Commanders Snyder regime we are talking about. You are not considering what Terry McLaurin's thoughts are about all of this. They drafted Howell just in case. They drafted the Penn St. receiver just in case.
My thinking is that this 'new' FO/regime knows how important it is to keep Scary Terry

I think the media and some fans may think that but the reality is this is not the same FO - these guys have made some mistakes but they are a lot better than what we had a few years ago

IMO - They added Howell because he's going to quickly become a better QB than Heinicke and they added Dotson because we needed another weapon NOT because of anything to do with McLaurin
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Little General
Chief Petty Officer
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 am
Age: 73
x 31
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Little General » Tue May 03, 2022 3:08 pm

I posted on another thread ( and I am the guy that also posted that the Commanders should (should, not would) win the NFC East and got blasted for it) a question, what has been the best season during the 2 plus decades of Snyder? Answer....The Off Season. I sincerely hope your optimism is rewarded when the talking turns into the playing.
0 x
0 x

User avatar
Farmer Ted
Lieutenant
Posts: 1306
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:29 am
x 570
x 116
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Farmer Ted » Tue May 03, 2022 4:19 pm

I would say Snyder's first season was the best, lol. We were a brain-fart away from the NFC championship that year, and really haven't come close since then.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Age: 76
x 77
x 97
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby RI Skins fan » Tue May 03, 2022 4:51 pm

Little General wrote:I posted on another thread (and I am the guy that also posted that the Commanders should (should, not would) win the NFC East and got blasted for it). A question - what has been the best season during the 2 plus decades of Snyder? Answer: The Off-Season. I sincerely hope your optimism is rewarded when the talking turns into the playing.

In December 2019, the Redskins were in such bad shape that it's doubtful that anyone would have wanted to play or coach here

Ron Rivera was persuaded to take the job - the only way that could happen was if Dan Snyder stopped interfering with who played & coached here - we are V lucky to have Ron Rivera in charge here

Most of us realized it was going to take time to repair the damage caused by the terrible management of this franchise by Snyder and Allen - there have been some bad decisions, IMO, but, for the most part, this FO has put the Redskins back into being close to putting a competitive product on the field each week

we are very fortunate to play in the NFC East - it's possible we could see both the eagles and Cowboys not play up to their ability again like 2 years ago but it's not likely

one more season should put us in an era of consistency not seen in decades
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Little General
Chief Petty Officer
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 am
Age: 73
x 31
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Little General » Thu May 05, 2022 11:20 am

What happens with number 17 may be the most accurate indicator of their on field progress. The off filed issues will still need resolution.
0 x
0 x

User avatar
Skins-R-Us
Owner
Posts: 2278
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:38 pm
Age: 52
x 256
x 180
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Skins-R-Us » Thu May 05, 2022 12:24 pm

Little General wrote:What happens with number 17 may be the most accurate indicator of their on field progress. The off filed issues will still need resolution.

I don't like the way these rookies are forcing teams hands. It is really making me start look at him differently. I believe he deserves a good pay day but I don't like the hold out game.
0 x
0 x
Washington Football Team, NFC Champs 2020

Online
User avatar
MissouriSkin
Ensign
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:33 pm
Age: 56
x 3
x 119
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby MissouriSkin » Thu May 05, 2022 12:30 pm

we are very fortunate to play in the NFC East - it's possible we could see both the eagles and Cowboys not play up to their ability again like 2 years ago but it's not likely

one more season should put us in an era of consistency not seen in decades[/quote]

Actually it is quite likely….Dallas underachieves every year and have a horrible coach and for all the times the Eagles are supposed to be good…are they really? Usually not. Their QB isn’t really good even though people continually tell us he is. There’s a reason they run the ball more than anyone. Remember 3 years ago when the Giants were going to dominate the East because of Jones and Barkley? Remember this….a team with an under achieving D with a QB who was on his sisters couch the season before was in the playoffs until the whole team got COVId. I like our chances with the additions we’ve made.
1 x
0 x

User avatar
Moe
Commander
Posts: 3113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
x 4
x 132
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Moe » Thu May 05, 2022 3:32 pm

Skins-R-Us wrote:I don't like the way these rookies are forcing teams hands. It is really making me start look at him differently. I believe he deserves a good pay day but I don't like the hold out game.

Holding out is really the only leverage the players have at their disposal, but to this point McLaurin hasn't said/done anything to that effect.
0 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
Moe
Commander
Posts: 3113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
x 4
x 132
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Moe » Thu May 05, 2022 3:49 pm

MissouriSkin wrote:Actually it is quite likely….Dallas underachieves every year and have a horrible coach and for all the times the Eagles are supposed to be good…are they really? Usually not. Their QB isn’t really good even though people continually tell us he is. There’s a reason they run the ball more than anyone. Remember 3 years ago when the Giants were going to dominate the East because of Jones and Barkley? Remember this….a team with an under achieving D with a QB who was on his sisters couch the season before was in the playoffs until the whole team got COVId. I like our chances with the additions we’ve made.

It's an interesting year for this division. I agree that NY seems like the weakest team, although I think they made some solid moves in the off-season, but Jones doesn't have it. Dallas is still a dangerous team, but they lost more than they gained and still have serious flaws across the roster and the staff. Philly is the team to beat IMO, but there are big questions about their secondary and if Hurts can reliably carry them as a passer...and I'm not sure he can. Washington has its own questions, but they can compete with any of them and have areas that can be really, really good. Generally, it comes down to health and who gets the favorable bounces....last year was a tough one for the good guys, maybe it'll flip back this year.
1 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

Online
User avatar
MissouriSkin
Ensign
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:33 pm
Age: 56
x 3
x 119
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby MissouriSkin » Thu May 05, 2022 4:25 pm

What am I missing on Hurts? I literally see nothing there. Why do people think he’s an up and comer?
0 x
0 x

User avatar
lorimike
Lieutenant
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:36 pm
x 46
x 59
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby lorimike » Thu May 05, 2022 4:42 pm

MissouriSkin wrote:What am I missing on Hurts? I literally see nothing there. Why do people think he’s an up and comer?
<<<<

He was downright terrible when he actually had to play a good defense. Like Tampa in the playoffs. The Eagles played us without most of our players due to the NFL's Covid policy that mysteriously vanished by the playoffs.
0 x
0 x

User avatar
Moe
Commander
Posts: 3113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
x 4
x 132
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Moe » Thu May 05, 2022 4:54 pm

MissouriSkin wrote:What am I missing on Hurts? I literally see nothing there. Why do people think he’s an up and comer?

He's an athletic tease and can make plays on occasion, but I don't think he can reliably read and accurately beat a D when necessary to go deep into the post season. That being said, Philly has a solid roster around him and so they can be dangerous.
0 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Age: 76
x 77
x 97
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby RI Skins fan » Thu May 05, 2022 8:32 pm

Moe wrote:He's an athletic tease and can make plays on occasion, but I don't think he can reliably read and accurately beat a D when necessary to go deep into the postseason. That being said, Philly has a solid roster around him and so they can be dangerous.

most teams in the NFL "can be dangerous" ... there's a good chance that the Redskins can be consistently competitive this season & I like our chances in this division - admittedly a lot has to go right but Prescott & Hurts are not that great & Allen is hopeless
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators need to get more out of the players we have (just do your job)

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Warpath23
Lieutenant
Posts: 1206
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:48 pm
Age: 43
x 3
x 11
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Warpath23 » Thu May 05, 2022 9:01 pm

Probably..
1 x
0 x

Little General
Chief Petty Officer
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 am
Age: 73
x 31
Contact:

Re: Are They Going to Blow It With Terry McLaurin?

Postby Little General » Fri May 06, 2022 10:28 am

Skins-R-Us wrote:I don't like the way these rookies are forcing teams hands. It is really making me start look at him differently. I believe he deserves a good pay day but I don't like the hold out game.


A little off topic but look at what is happening at the college level with the transfer portal and the botched up NIL rules. Now players will come into the NFL (and other pro leagues) thinking they can run the show before they ever play a game. It does seem like big time sports now is less about the team and more about the individual players. Signing a contract or agreeing to play for a university team means nothing.
0 x
0 x


Return to “Commanders All #Commanders Room”

Who is online

Users browsing this Washington forum: No registered users and 20 guests