Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Your new Redskins Fan Forum, Come on in and join the TRIBE! All REDSKINS, all the TIME!
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Happy that the site is back up and running. We lost some threads/posts, so lets start a new one. Some of you have done this but since they were lost lets put them all here. I know SilverSpring and Wolfskins gave thoughts, please repost here if you can. I will organize mine up and put them in today :)

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:47 pm

You can also do it sections such as :
a - What should the Redskins do?
b - What will the Redskins do ?
hardest thing for me currently is what they should and what they will is depending on what the thought process of the FO is in terms of where they really think we are. To me, if they think we are actually close to being competitive then the plan might be a total 180 of what they probably should do. What's crazy is that I thought last years dilemma with the Kirk Cousins issue was a lot to think about, but now with the (a) Alex Smith issue + the wackiness of our coaching staff on who has left, who might be leaving and who might be gone after this season throws a whole set of wrenches into the plan. Lots of fans think that Gruden is a lame duck coach, so if that is the case then does it really make sense to use a 1st rounder on a QB that a new coach may not really want ?? A very tricky/dicey and potentially ugly 3+ months in store. Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts, because mine can go one of 2 or 3 ways.

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Here is a new one for you:

Starts with 19M cap space
Cut Josh Norman (+8.5M cap)
Let Colt McCoy walk (+3.5M cap)
Cut Zach Brown walk (+5.75M cap)
Cut Mason Foster (+2M cap)
Cut Vernon Davis (+5M cap)
Trade Jordan Reed to Chargers for 4th round pick (+6M cap)
Trade our 1st round pick, Josh Doctson and our #77 3rd round pick to the
Packers for #12

Let Adrian Peterson walk
Let Preston Smith walk
Jamison Crowder moves on despite attempt to resign him
Clinton Ha-Ha Dix walks

Resign Nsekhe to 3 year 10 million contract (-3.5M cap)
Resign Josh Johnson to 2 year 2M/year (-2M cap)
Try to extend Brandon Scherff. 12.5M/year 4 year extension (included in cap)
Sign Jadeveon Clowney OLB 21M/year (-21M cap)
Sign Tyrann Mathieu FS 11.5M/year (-11M cap)
Sign Jonathan Cooper 1M/year
Sign Pernell McPhee to vet minimum 1M/year

Draft (cap hit 8M)
1st round (#12) Daniel Jones QB
2nd round (#46) TE Caleb Wilson
3rd round (compensatory) Bryce Love RB
4th round (#123 from chargers) Nate Herbig LG
5th round (#143) Daelin Hayes DE
5th round (compensatory) Juan Thornhill CB
6th round (compensatory) Hunter Renfrow WR
7th round (#205) Alec Eberle C

Offense:
QB: Alex Smith, Daniel Jones, Josh Johnson
Oline: Trent Williams, Nate Herbig , Chase Roullier, Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses
Ty Nsekhe, Geron Christian, Alex Eberle, Jonathon Cooper

TE:Jeremy Sprinkle, Caleb Wilson, Flannigan
WR: Paul Richardson, Trey Quinn, Hunter Renfrow, Cam Sims,Robert Davis, Jehu Chesson
RB: Darius Guice, Chris Thompson, Bryce Love, Samaje Perine

Defense:
DL: Matt Ioannidis, Daron Payne, Jonathan Allen, Tim Settle, Caleb Brantley,McGee
OLB: Ryan Kerrigan, Jadeveon Clowney, Ryan Anderson, Daelin Hayes, Pernell McPhee
ILB: Shaun Dion Hamilton, Josh Harvey Clemons, Reubon Foster, Zach Vigil
CB: Quinton Dunbar, Fabian Moreau, Greg Stroman, Danny Johnson, Juan Thornhill,Adonis Alexander
S Tyrann Mathieu, Montae Nicholson, Troy Apke, Deshazor Everett

ST:
K Dustin Hopkins
P Tress Way
LS Andrew East

Wolfskins
Squaw Chaser

Postby Wolfskins » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:32 am

My offseason plan for this week:

Add Colt McCoy and Josh Johnson to the offensive staff as assistants (and potential emergency backup QBs)

Cut ILB ZBrown (+5.8M), ILB MFoster (+2M), DL McGee (+2.2M)

Trade Jordan Reed and 2nd for Antonio Brown (extend contract/convert salary to SB; same cap hit)

Resign RB Peterson (2yr, 6M; -3M), LG Cooper (3 yr, 10M; -3M), OT Nsekhe (1yr, 2M; -2M) and let others sign elsewhere

Extend RG Scherff (5yrs, 67M; +4M from current cap charge)

Sign WR DJackson after TB cuts him (3yr, 21M; last yr voidable; -5M), FS LCollins (5yr, 50M; -7M), QB Fitzpatrick (1yr, 5M with incentives; -5M)

Cap space prior to draft: 21M - 17M in signings + 10M in cuts - 4M in resignings/extension = 10M

Trade our first to Oakland for late 1st and 2nd
Draft two QBs ... Lock in 2nd and Rypien in 5th

QB (3*): Fitzpatrick, Lock, Rypien (Alex Smith on PUP, McCoy/Johnson can be backups if rookies struggle or injury)
OL (8): Williams, Cooper, Roullier, Scherff, Moses, Nsekhe, Christian, draft pick
TE (4): Davis, Sprinkle, Holtz, Flannigan
WR (6): Brown, Jackson, Richardson, Quinn, Sims, Davis/draft pick
RB (4): Guice, Thompson, Peterson, Perine

DL(6): Ioannidis, Payne, Allen, Settle, Brantley, draft pick
OLB (5): Kerrigan, Anderson, McKinzy, draft pick, draft pick
ILB (4): Hamilton, Harvey Clemons, RFoster, draft pick
CB (6): Norman, Dunbar, Moreau, Stroman, Alexander, Johnson
S (4): Collins, Everett, Apke, Nicholson/draft pick

ST (3): K Hopkins, P Way, LS Sundberg
Formerly Redskin4Life on hR.com

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:48 pm

this is based on what i think they'll do, not so much what i'd like them to do.

Cut Josh Norman (+8.5M cap) don't see this. convinced they'll keep him. and given the inexperience we have there, i'd be concerned if he went.
Let Colt McCoy walk (+3.5M cap) just don't think that has crossed their minds. at the moment, he is our starter for next season. depending on smith, we'll see what happens with QBs but at the moment, he is starter or back up. on contract and that is a small amount for a QB.
Cut Zach Brown walk (+5.75M cap) i think he is gone.
Cut Mason Foster (+2M cap) i think he calls the plays? and $2mill not much. i think he stays.
Cut Vernon Davis (+5M cap) tough one. i think they love him in the locker room. but age, production and that amount? i think he goes.
Trade Jordan Reed to Chargers for 4th round pick (+6M cap) only a mill more than davis? i think he stays for another year.
Packers for #12 think they'll keep doctson. i can't believe that after rg3 and with the uncertainty around smith that they'd trade up for a QB. also, with the mess over who is coaching long term, don't see it. i'm still struggling to see us go QB in the first, unless one we really like falls.
Let Adrian Peterson walk depends on how much he wants. if not much, i think he stays for another year and helps guice ease in.
Let Preston Smith walk i thought they would but now, i'm thinking that they will try and keep him. not sure i'd agree with that., especially if expensive.
Jamison Crowder moves on despite attempt to resign him be a shame to lose him. i think they try hard to keep him.
Clinton Ha-Ha Dix walks i have a feeling that they will try and keep him. the good thing is that his play hardly bumped up the price.

Resign Nsekhe to 3 year 10 million contract (-3.5M cap) i have a feeling they'll go cheap on him and we might lose him.
Resign Josh Johnson to 2 year 2M/year (-2M cap) agree. think this likely.
Try to extend Brandon Scherff. 12.5M/year 4 year extension (included in cap) if they fail to extend scherff, then the NFL should insist dan sell the franchise because it is all over. if we can't keep him, we are stuffed.
Sign Jadeveon Clowney OLB 21M/year (-21M cap) if we could upgrade by signing clowney over smith, i'd be delighted. but i just struggle to see it. it would be huge for us if it happened.
Sign Tyrann Mathieu FS 11.5M/year (-11M cap) again, if we could upgrade to TM over haha, terrific, but i doubt it.
Sign Jonathan Cooper 1M/year agreed
Sign Pernell McPhee to vet minimum 1M/year agreed.

Draft (cap hit 8M)

my only thoughts here are as said, i am not sure we'll go QB this year, in the first (next year almost certainly) and i really do not see us going RB in the first five rounds. too many holes and that is one of our strengths. i understand, if a top talent falls, but he'd have to be something special.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:09 pm

one more thought on AP.
whatever happens at QB this off season and next year, fair to say that we are unlikely to have one of the top QBs on the field for us. whether a FA, draft pick, rehabing smith or mccoy, it won't be pretty. so the focus has to be heavily on the run.
it may be, if a really good O line prospect falls to us in the first, we take him. or seek one or two in FA. certainly 2nd round, if not either. because we are going to need to protect the QB more than ever and open up the run.
so assuming that the run is our focus next season, as it surely must be, we have CT as the 3rd down RB and that is a position of strength.
other RBs? guice, obviously. but do you want to put the weight of the entire offence, which is what we'd be doing, on the shoulders of a kid who has never played a single snap in the NFL, however willing he might be. and a kid coming back from a serious knee injury. and this is not his first knee injury. that is asking way too much.
AP showed amazing resilience last year, at his age, to fight through the knocks and niggles he had. we are going to need someone like that. he also showed that, when the O line was functioning, he can make serious yards. add to that a mentoring role for guice and he becomes really valuable.
as for the final spot, perine or marshall? they never seemed to warm to perine - a couple of drops sure - but it seemed to be more than that. have to wait and see on that one.

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Wolfskins wrote:My offseason plan for this week:

QB (3*): Fitzpatrick, Lock, Rypien (Alex Smith on PUP, McCoy/Johnson can be backups if rookies struggle or injury)
OL (8): Williams, Cooper, Roullier, Scherff, Moses, Nsekhe, Christian, draft pick
TE (4): Davis, Sprinkle, Holtz, Flannigan
WR (6): Brown, Jackson, Richardson, Quinn, Sims, Davis/draft pick
RB (4): Guice, Thompson, Peterson, Perine

DL(6): Ioannidis, Payne, Allen, Settle, Brantley, draft pick
OLB (5): Kerrigan, Anderson, McKinzy, draft pick, draft pick
ILB (4): Hamilton, Harvey Clemons, RFoster, draft pick
CB (6): Norman, Dunbar, Moreau, Stroman, Alexander, Johnson
S (4): Collins, Everett, Apke, Nicholson/draft pick

ST (3): K Hopkins, P Way, LS Sundberg

Fun plan.

I am curious if the league would allow this type of move with McCoy and JJ. Certainly a clever idea. I wonder if anyone else has done it. Seems like the kind of move that the competition committee takes draft picks away for. I wonder what the players union would think.

I can't imagine Brown coming here. He probably wants to go to a winner because his contract is already set. Otherwise I am on board.
I am definitely a bit hesitant to throw picks or money into WR until we have a qb who can really throw it. Alex Smith was not that guy. Maybe between fitz and lock you have that.

I don't think Cooper will be that expensive. And I think Nsekhe will be more expensive, actually I am worried someone signs him to start and we can't resign him. He is hugely important as Trent Williams gets older.

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:25 pm

kbg wrote:this is based on what i think they'll do, not so much what i'd like them to do.

Cut Josh Norman (+8.5M cap) don't see this. convinced they'll keep him. and given the inexperience we have there, i'd be concerned if he went.
Let Colt McCoy walk (+3.5M cap) just don't think that has crossed their minds. at the moment, he is our starter for next season. depending on smith, we'll see what happens with QBs but at the moment, he is starter or back up. on contract and that is a small amount for a QB.
Cut Zach Brown walk (+5.75M cap) i think he is gone.
Cut Mason Foster (+2M cap) i think he calls the plays? and $2mill not much. i think he stays.
Cut Vernon Davis (+5M cap) tough one. i think they love him in the locker room. but age, production and that amount? i think he goes.
Trade Jordan Reed to Chargers for 4th round pick (+6M cap) only a mill more than davis? i think he stays for another year.
Packers for #12 think they'll keep doctson. i can't believe that after rg3 and with the uncertainty around smith that they'd trade up for a QB. also, with the mess over who is coaching long term, don't see it. i'm still struggling to see us go QB in the first, unless one we really like falls.
Let Adrian Peterson walk depends on how much he wants. if not much, i think he stays for another year and helps guice ease in.
Let Preston Smith walk i thought they would but now, i'm thinking that they will try and keep him. not sure i'd agree with that., especially if expensive.
Jamison Crowder moves on despite attempt to resign him be a shame to lose him. i think they try hard to keep him.
Clinton Ha-Ha Dix walks i have a feeling that they will try and keep him. the good thing is that his play hardly bumped up the price.

Resign Nsekhe to 3 year 10 million contract (-3.5M cap) i have a feeling they'll go cheap on him and we might lose him.
Resign Josh Johnson to 2 year 2M/year (-2M cap) agree. think this likely.
Try to extend Brandon Scherff. 12.5M/year 4 year extension (included in cap) if they fail to extend scherff, then the NFL should insist dan sell the franchise because it is all over. if we can't keep him, we are stuffed.
Sign Jadeveon Clowney OLB 21M/year (-21M cap) if we could upgrade by signing clowney over smith, i'd be delighted. but i just struggle to see it. it would be huge for us if it happened.
Sign Tyrann Mathieu FS 11.5M/year (-11M cap) again, if we could upgrade to TM over haha, terrific, but i doubt it.
Sign Jonathan Cooper 1M/year agreed
Sign Pernell McPhee to vet minimum 1M/year agreed.

my only thoughts here are as said, i am not sure we'll go QB this year, in the first (next year almost certainly) and i really do not see us going RB in the first five rounds. too many holes and that is one of our strengths. i understand, if a top talent falls, but he'd have to be something special.

-Keeping McCoy translates to the coaching staff having no confidence in their ability to coach someone new up. He can not stay healthy, so what is the point of wasting time on him. I am sure you are right and they will keep him because they are happy with mediocrity and this is their comfort zone that they refuse to leave.

-Jordan Reed has about a 10M cap hit, but it comes with 3.6 dead cap space, that is why it is only 6M.

-Trading up with pocket change shouldn't be compared to the RG3 3 1st rounders and a 2nd. You want a top prospect you have to trade up. Look at the last couple drafts, these trade ups for qbs are common and expensive. With the rookie wage scale, the 1st round draft picks are much less risky to go all in for. If they really like a guy they should get him. You can bet Miami (2 spots above us) will be looking to grab a qb.

-I love Bryce Love :) It was recently revealed that he blew out his ACL in december so he is going to fall to the 3rd-4th round. It would be a steal here to get a new and improved chris thompson.

In terms of Clowney and Mathieu, I think it is mostly all about money. We overpay 1-2 million a year and throw in some more guarantee and we can get anyone.

I have done several of these now, all different directions. One we signed Teddy Bridgewater, in another we went status quo qb wise, cleaned house and drafted a late round qb and in this one we trade up for a 1st round prospect qb.
I cleaned house to varying degrees in most of them. I think it is time to move on while we can still get something out of these guys.
But in all the versions I did, we also signed at least one high priced free agent.

The conclusion this all brings me to is that there is a lot we can do. Despite Alex Smith's contract we have room to make some moves and improve this team if we are willing to move forward and jettison a bit of dead weight. The more I look at it, the more I think we are not far off personnel wise. I strongly believe the coaching staff is what is holding us back the most.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:34 pm

^^ Mine wont come until the weekend due to work. It will be in 2 parts, what we should do and what we will do with Bruce in charge and how he views the team based on his comments at the Senior Bowl yesterday. I think we have a decent base foundation but one with a lot of youth that needs to keep improving ie SHD/RFoster as our starting ILBS. I agree that coaching is holding us back...which is another question mark in trying to figure out what we will do, esp as it pertains to QB. I think 2 pieces on D would basically make us pretty solid. On offense, I'm really wanting playmakers and an improved run game. Still in the frame of mind that we draft Hockenberrty after a slight trade back, fill the LG, WR and edge on Day 2...or some kind of mix between day 1 and 2. Will get my thoughts up on Sunday :) PS: I would have no issue with Bryce Love on Day 3.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 pm

silverspring wrote:-Keeping McCoy translates to the coaching staff having no confidence in their ability to coach someone new up. He can not stay healthy, so what is the point of wasting time on him. I am sure you are right and they will keep him because they are happy with mediocrity and this is their comfort zone that they refuse to leave.

-Jordan Reed has about a 10M cap hit, but it comes with 3.6 dead cap space, that is why it is only 6M.

-Trading up with pocket change shouldn't be compared to the RG3 3 1st rounders and a 2nd. You want a top prospect you have to trade up. Look at the last couple drafts, these trade ups for qbs are common and expensive. With the rookie wage scale, the 1st round draft picks are much less risky to go all in for. If they really like a guy they should get him. You can bet Miami (2 spots above us) will be looking to grab a qb.

-I love Bryce Love :) It was recently revealed that he blew out his ACL in december so he is going to fall to the 3rd-4th round. It would be a steal here to get a new and improved chris thompson.

In terms of Clowney and Mathieu, I think it is mostly all about money. We overpay 1-2 million a year and throw in some more guarantee and we can get anyone.

I have done several of these now, all different directions. One we signed Teddy Bridgewater, in another we went status quo qb wise, cleaned house and drafted a late round qb and in this one we trade up for a 1st round prospect qb.
I cleaned house to varying degrees in most of them. I think it is time to move on while we can still get something out of these guys.
But in all the versions I did, we also signed at least one high priced free agent.

The conclusion this all brings me to is that there is a lot we can do. Despite Alex Smith's contract we have room to make some moves and improve this team if we are willing to move forward and jettison a bit of dead weight. The more I look at it, the more I think we are not far off personnel wise. I strongly believe the coaching staff is what is holding us back the most.

no argument with most of this - my comments were based on what i think they will do not what they should do or i would like them to do.
fully agree the coaching is the proverbial millstone. but i think, and i don't think many disagree, it goes further back and it is the FO which is really the road block. they have put the coaches in an untenable position and they scare off prospective talent. look what has gone through the skins in the last five years or those in whom we have expressed an interest. now look at what we have. you could not make it up.
i think gruden knows how close the axe is. so does he try and coach up a new bloke or go with a potentially lesser talent that he knows and who knows the system? i think he believes in fairy tales and sees him and mccoy doing an episode of that NFL superbowl winners show where they both talk about how no one had any confidence in either of them but they prevailed. if only...
i agree that there are some FAs who will be about the dollars only. but smith's contract hurts us to a degree there. not sure how much we want those guys anyway. rather make certain we can extend scherrf and a few others.

ILikeSonny09
Squaw Chaser

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:28 am

silverspring wrote:--Trading up with pocket change shouldn't be compared to the RG3 3 1st rounders and a 2nd. You want a top prospect you have to trade up. Look at the last couple drafts, these trade ups for qbs are common and expensive. With the rookie wage scale, the 1st round draft picks are much less risky to go all in for. If they really like a guy they should get him. You can bet Miami (2 spots above us) will be looking to grab a qb.

I don't think we can get him for pocket change. There'll be one we like, either the Duke or Missou guy, nobody else, and we'll be trying to move up by outbidding someone else ahead of us who's trying to move further up.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:55 am

ILikeSonny09 wrote:I don't think we can get him for pocket change. There'll be one we like, either the Duke or Missou guy, nobody else, and we'll be trying to move up by outbidding someone else ahead of us who's trying to move further up.

I hope we don't give up picks. Would rather wait until Day 2 and grab Thorsen

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:49 am

WaPo said today that the Skins have met with all the QB's at the Senior Bowl thus far: Finley (NCSU), Lock (Missou), Jackson (Buff), Grier (WVU), Stidham (AUB), Minshew (WSU), McSorley (PSU) and Jones (Duke). Not to derail the thread, but assuming the Skins use 15 on a QB, which player would you be most excited (least upset?) with them choosing (not necessarily from those listed above)?
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 am

silverspring wrote:-Keeping McCoy translates to the coaching staff having no confidence in their ability to coach someone new up. He can not stay healthy, so what is the point of wasting time on him. I am sure you are right and they will keep him because they are happy with mediocrity and this is their comfort zone that they refuse to leave.

Based on Allen's recent comments I don't think McCoy goes anywhere. There are some obvious disconnects between what Allen and this coaching staff seem to want/need/see things, so this might be more on that dope's ideas than what the coaches are capable of doing.

John Clayton put a mock up on WaPo and had Haskins going 6 to NY, Lock at 7 to Jax, Jones at 10 to Denver, but Miami taking DT Gary at 13 instead of a QB. He had the Skins taking Murray at 15 fwiw.

I love reading these projections from you guys, they are thoughtful and interesting. However, teams rarely make the amount of moves suggested in their roster so IMO a lot of these are overly complicated (and hopeful). That being said, there is room to make moves and I agree that this team can be competitive if they're smart/lucky but would argue simply being healthy would be the biggest help.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:54 am

ILikeSonny09 wrote:I don't think we can get him for pocket change. There'll be one we like, either the Duke or Missou guy, nobody else, and we'll be trying to move up by outbidding someone else ahead of us who's trying to move further up.

Well by pocket change I was talking our 3rd pick and Josh Doctson to move up 4 spots. That might be short, but I don't think it is out of the question. There is no prospect this year that is out of this world. They all seem to have flaws. I agree someone will fall of the maybe 1st round prospect bunch.

silverspring
Code Talker

Postby silverspring » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Moe wrote:Based on Allen's recent comments I don't think McCoy goes anywhere. There are some obvious disconnects between what Allen and this coaching staff seem to want/need/see things, so this might be more on that dope's ideas than what the coaches are capable of doing.

I agree. There clearly is a disconnect between what Gruden wants and what Bruce is giving him. But the way I see it is the coaches need to focusing on coaching what they have.

Moe wrote:I love reading these projections from you guys, they are thoughtful and interesting. However, teams rarely make the amount of moves suggested in their roster so IMO a lot of these are overly complicated (and hopeful). That being said, there is room to make moves and I agree that this team can be competitive if they're smart/lucky but would argue simply being healthy would be the biggest help.

You are probably right. But with this front office and coaching staff staying at the status quo, they have to recognize that we need to some big moves if not only to get the fan base excited.

I still don't buy into the health excuse. We had a lot of injuries but only a couple crucial ones or at least unexpected ones. We have to stop counting on guys like Jordan Reed, Paul Richardson, Lauvao or Chris Thompson to be healthy. They never are and likely never will be.

SuperFan
Papoose

Postby SuperFan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:29 pm

This is what I would do, it assumes I have complete control either as GM with finial say or as Owner (Even Better). It also assumes I can restructure the Player Personnel Department with the mandate of building through the draft and only supplementing minimally through free agency.

The Premise for my strategy is as follows: This team, as constructed is at least 3 years away from continued success. That is defined as a team that consistently makes the playoffs and has a window for a super bowl, not a team that can occasionally make the playoff berth and at best win a divisional round game. As an owner I want SUSTAINED Success not occasional success. I want to be that team by 2021 or at least on the cusp of attaining that level of success. With that said my strategy is to tear this thing down to the frame and build it back up.

Cuts/Savings:

• Zach Brown – 5.75M 2019 8M 2020
• Vernon Davis – 5M 2019
• Stacy McGee – 2.75M 2019
• Mason Foster – 2M 2019

Trades and their cap savings:

Let me premise this by saying I want to stock pile picks in 2020 and 2021, we are not in position to take an elite franchise player in this year’s first round and this team NEEDS Elite Talent. By Focusing on getting picks in 2020 & 2021 we can get greater future value for players we trade.

• Trent Williams – 9.34m 2019 / 12.75M 2020 – Trade for 1st in 2021. While I love Trent, he is on the downside of his career (30
years old), take a page out of New England’s book and get value for him now…. Maybe even New England as a Trading Partner
Here?
• Josh Norman – 8.5M in 2019 / 12.5 2020, Trade for a 2nd Round Pick in 2020, Chiefs could have used him this year, we have danced
with them before maybe 2nd times the charm
• Ryan Kerrigan – 10.75M 2019 and 11.75M 2020 Trade for a 2nd Round Pick in 2021.
• Jordan Reed - 6.07M 2019 and 17.5M in 2020/2021 – Trade for a 3rd Round Pick in 2019
• 2019 1st Overall Pick – Trade out of the 1st Round Entirely for a 2020 1st and a 2nd in 2019 or 3rd in 2019.

This would leave us with the following 3-year Draft Plan:

2019 (10 Total Picks)

 2 Picks in the 2nd
 3 picks in the 3rd
 2 picks in the 5th
 6th & 2 picks 7th

2020 & 2021 we will have (2) 1st and (2) 2nd to rebuild the franchise as well as plenty of Salary Cap room to work with in this window.
Free Agency targets Players 27 and younger, like O-Line Mark Glowinski or Mitch Morse. Fill out your roster the best you can this year but keep the contracts reasonable and the player age down. Look to roll over some of the cap to 2020 Free Agency Class. Resign Nsekhe (Stop Gap at Left Tackle for a year) and Extend Scherff. Make a play for Crowder to stay but if he is unreasonable let him walk.

2019 Draft- Best Player Available Strategy, try to Fill out the O-Line, Tight end, CB and FS etc… but Best Player Available is the Strategy. I have players I like and when we get closer to draft, I might take shot at a mock draft, this write up is more at a strategic level for me.

2019 QB – Colt Mcoy, Josh Johnson and possibly a Free Agent or low round QB to Develop Brett Rypien?.

2019 Season Results – will be bad, really bad (3-13 or 4-12) but with a clear picture of what you now have on the roster as well as a several picks in the 1st and 2nd round you can use to select your franchise quarterback and begin to build a team the right way in 2020 & 2021.

I can’t stress enough the importance of having a shot at some of the QB Talent in 2020 or 2021. This years QB Crop is pedestrian in my opinion. If we look at the teams that make it to the Super Bowl the past 5 years and their starting QB’s you see the following:

2018 – Foles & Brady
2017 – Brady & Ryan
2016 – Manning & Newton
2015 – Brady & Wilson
2014 – Wilson & Manning

Throw in others like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Roethlisberger in the past 10 years and it becomes apparent this is a must. Having a chance at Tua Tagovailoa, Jake Fromm or Trevor Lawrence is critical in my plan. Settling for Players like Jones, Murray and Lock are not going to cut it in my opinion.

I know it’s a scorched earth approach but it’s what I would do. Short Term Pain with Long Term Gain. This approach would at least justify the short-term misery with a goal of brighter future instead of the same old crap we have been served up.

Peace and Hail to the Redskins!

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:36 pm

SuperFan wrote:This is what I would do, it assumes I have complete control either as GM with finial say or as Owner (Even Better). It also assumes I can restructure the Player Personnel Department with the mandate of building through the draft and only supplementing minimally through free agency.

The Premise for my strategy is as follows: This team, as constructed is at least 3 years away from continued success. That is defined as a team that consistently makes the playoffs and has a window for a super bowl, not a team that can occasionally make the playoff berth and at best win a divisional round game. As an owner I want SUSTAINED Success not occasional success. I want to be that team by 2021 or at least on the cusp of attaining that level of success. With that said my strategy is to tear this thing down to the frame and build it back up.

Cuts/Savings:

• Zach Brown – 5.75M 2019 8M 2020
• Vernon Davis – 5M 2019
• Stacy McGee – 2.75M 2019
• Mason Foster – 2M 2019

Trades and their cap savings:

Let me premise this by saying I want to stock pile picks in 2020 and 2021, we are not in position to take an elite franchise player in this year’s first round and this team NEEDS Elite Talent. By Focusing on getting picks in 2020 & 2021 we can get greater future value for players we trade.

• Trent Williams – 9.34m 2019 / 12.75M 2020 – Trade for 1st in 2021. While I love Trent, he is on the downside of his career (30
years old), take a page out of New England’s book and get value for him now…. Maybe even New England as a Trading Partner
Here?
• Josh Norman – 8.5M in 2019 / 12.5 2020, Trade for a 2nd Round Pick in 2020, Chiefs could have used him this year, we have danced
with them before maybe 2nd times the charm
• Ryan Kerrigan – 10.75M 2019 and 11.75M 2020 Trade for a 2nd Round Pick in 2021.
• Jordan Reed - 6.07M 2019 and 17.5M in 2020/2021 – Trade for a 3rd Round Pick in 2019
• 2019 1st Overall Pick – Trade out of the 1st Round Entirely for a 2020 1st and a 2nd in 2019 or 3rd in 2019.

This would leave us with the following 3-year Draft Plan:

2019 (10 Total Picks)

 2 Picks in the 2nd
 3 picks in the 3rd
 2 picks in the 5th
 6th & 2 picks 7th

2020 & 2021 we will have (2) 1st and (2) 2nd to rebuild the franchise as well as plenty of Salary Cap room to work with in this window.
Free Agency targets Players 27 and younger, like O-Line Mark Glowinski or Mitch Morse. Fill out your roster the best you can this year but keep the contracts reasonable and the player age down. Look to roll over some of the cap to 2020 Free Agency Class. Resign Nsekhe (Stop Gap at Left Tackle for a year) and Extend Scherff. Make a play for Crowder to stay but if he is unreasonable let him walk.

2019 Draft- Best Player Available Strategy, try to Fill out the O-Line, Tight end, CB and FS etc… but Best Player Available is the Strategy. I have players I like and when we get closer to draft, I might take shot at a mock draft, this write up is more at a strategic level for me.

2019 QB – Colt Mcoy, Josh Johnson and possibly a Free Agent or low round QB to Develop Brett Rypien?.

2019 Season Results – will be bad, really bad (3-13 or 4-12) but with a clear picture of what you now have on the roster as well as a several picks in the 1st and 2nd round you can use to select your franchise quarterback and begin to build a team the right way in 2020 & 2021.

I can’t stress enough the importance of having a shot at some of the QB Talent in 2020 or 2021. This years QB Crop is pedestrian in my opinion. If we look at the teams that make it to the Super Bowl the past 5 years and their starting QB’s you see the following:

2018 – Foles & Brady
2017 – Brady & Ryan
2016 – Manning & Newton
2015 – Brady & Wilson
2014 – Wilson & Manning

Throw in others like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Roethlisberger in the past 10 years and it becomes apparent this is a must. Having a chance at Tua Tagovailoa, Jake Fromm or Trevor Lawrence is critical in my plan. Settling for Players like Jones, Murray and Lock are not going to cut it in my opinion.

I know it’s a scorched earth approach but it’s what I would do. Short Term Pain with Long Term Gain. This approach would at least justify the short-term misery with a goal of brighter future instead of the same old crap we have been served up.

Peace and Hail to the Redskins!

i really like the idea here re the QBs. scares me that gruden thinks his job is on a hail mary and so wastes a high pick on an average QB. as i have said before, i don't see the college footy so you guys will know far better than me but everything i read suggests that we are not going to find a gem of a QB this draft. so better off not trying to force a square peg into the round hole. let the giants do that.
most of the cuts i am okay with - do not see reed going. kerrigan and trent big calls but they are on the downhill. as much as it would hurt, might make sense.
i am wondering if this plan leaves us with a fair whack under the cap and that perhaps you look to splash on a top FA but sign him up long term and make a good chunk of that contract for this coming year? so chase collins or even clowney but tie them up long term.
however, the problem with all of this is that we have bruce and gruden and people who are not looking past this coming season. after all, "we are close"!!!

ILikeSonny09
Squaw Chaser

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:19 pm

SuperFan wrote:This is what I would do, it assumes I have complete control either as GM with finial say or as Owner (Even Better).

You mean you'd be a meddling, interfering owner?! :o

SuperFan
Papoose

Postby SuperFan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 pm

ILikeSonny09 wrote:You mean you'd be a meddling, interfering owner?! :o

That is Hilarious!! :lol: :lol:

But if you mean meddling as setting a culture and direction then letting the Best Football minds I can hire guide and make the decisions, then Yes I would be a very very meddling owner!! :D

lorimike
Hunter

Postby lorimike » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:23 am

ILikeSonny09 wrote:You mean you'd be a meddling, interfering owner?! :o

Truth be told Snyder has sat back and let the football people run the show. He is unfairly assailed by the press and the fans. Dan Snyder didn't ask the Texans to sack our QB and cause a compound fracture. Lets be fair people.

ILikeSonny09
Squaw Chaser

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:56 pm

lorimike wrote:,,,,,

Truth be told Snyder has sat back and let the football people run the show. He is unfairly assailed by the press and the fans. Dan Snyder didn't ask the Texans to sack our QB and cause a compound fracture. Lets be fair people.

Yeah, I was poking fun at the "meddling owner" meme. People mostly quit complaining about Snyder's interference when McC came along, and right now folks seem to be largely grousing about his not firing Allen. If the FO crowd doesn't start getting the job done, I'd expect any owner to start meddling again. I worry more about the coaching/FO and their perception of the roster going into the new season.

lorimike
Hunter

Postby lorimike » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:36 pm

These Senior Bowl players are very pedestrian. I don't see a drafable player yet.

lorimike
Hunter

Postby lorimike » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:54 pm

ILikeSonny09 wrote:Yeah, I was poking fun at the "meddling owner" meme. People mostly quit complaining about Snyder's interference when McC came along, and right now folks seem to be largely grousing about his not firing Allen. If the FO crowd doesn't start getting the job done, I'd expect any owner to start meddling again. I worry more about the coaching/FO and their perception of the roster going into the new season.

Scott McCloughen drafted some bad players as well.

lorimike
Hunter

Postby lorimike » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:05 pm

I could do this job better than anyone in the NFL.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 pm

I will make separate posts on different thought processes, but I will start with what I THINK the FO will do and how I would play it based on that. This is based on how I feel that Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden feel on the trajectory of the team...not what the fans think. They think we are close and that will put them in win-now mode...but they know they need a spark. We look to be starting at about $21M, from there I will subtract $9M ( just to give a cushion ) for draft picks and In-season emergency needs, bringing our starting point to $12M.

In House Free Agency :
Long term deal for Scherff which will lower 2019 cap from $12.5M to $8M..which will add $4.5M
Cut Vernon Davis ...adds $5M
Cut Stacy McGee...adds $3M

Let Preston Smith and Jamison Crowder walk
Cap total would then be $24.5M

In House signings :
Clinton-Dix...$4M
Nsekhe...1yr/$2M
Cooper..1yr/$1M
Peterson..1yr/$2M

Outside FA additions :
OLB Anthony Barr...$12M

Draft : I'm not going to put potential draft day trade backs here..I will save them for another post :)
1st : QB Kyler Murray
2nd: LG Michael Deiter
3rdA: WR Andy Isabella
3rdC : TE Caleb Wilson
4th: no pick currently
5thA: SS/LB Chase Hanson
5thC: ILB Dakota Allen
6thC: OT Max Scharping
7th: LB Chase Hancock
Roster:
Offense:25
QBS: Murray, McCoy, Smith
RBs : AP, Guice, Thompson, Marshall
TEs ; Reed, Sprinkle, Wilson
WRs: Richardson, Doctson, Isabella, Quinn, Davis, Sims
OL: Williams, Deiter, Roullier, Scherff, Moses, Nsekhe, Cooper, Christian, Dunn/Scharping/rest of the field winner..loser to PS

Defense (25):
DL : Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Settle, Brantley, Wicker/UDFA winner
OLB: Kerrigan, Barr, Anderson, McKinzy
ILB : Brown, Hamilton, RFoster, Harvey-Clemmons, Allen/Hancock winner with the loser to the PS
CB: Norman, Dunbar, Moreau, Stroman, Alexander, Holsey/Johnson/depth/udfa winner
SS: Everette, Hanson
FS: Clinton-Dix, Nicholson/Apke winner

On paper, that offense looks to be a lot more exciting and athletic with a slightly improved OL...assuming full health. Ideally on OL, Dunn would beat out Cooper plus can play G and C. I wanted Hockenberry at TE, but do think the FO goes with Murray..even if for the thrill factor. I really do like Murray, but his size just scares me a bit.
On paper, the defense also has more athleticism behind what looks to be a solid DL. Not sure I'm overly thrilled with the backend of the secondary..but solid DL with the addition of Barr should help. Both Hancock and Hanson have potential as dimebackers, so I like having that versatility.

If the FO think they need more cap money to make a different move, then guys like Brown/Reed/Norman could be dangled.

ILikeSonny09
Squaw Chaser

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:43 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:
On paper, that offense looks to be a lot more exciting and athletic with a slightly improved OL...assuming full health. Ideally on OL, Dunn would beat out Cooper plus can play G and C. I wanted Hockenberry at TE, but do think the FO goes with Murray..even if for the thrill factor. I really do like Murray, but his size just scares me a bit.
On paper, the defense also has more athleticism behind what looks to be a solid DL. Not sure I'm overly thrilled with the backend of the secondary..but solid DL with the addition of Barr should help. Both Hancock and Hanson have potential as dimebackers, so I like having that versatility.

If the FO think they need more cap money to make a different move, then guys like Brown/Reed/Norman could be dangled.

If they go with Murray, I'll tune the Redskins out for awhile. From what I've read, he's very unsuited for a west coast offense, would need to have a very unconventional offense built entirely around his skill set and strange physical stature, and we'd need an equally unsuitable backup QB.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:42 pm

ILikeSonny09 wrote:If they go with Murray, I'll tune the Redskins out for awhile. From what I've read, he's very unsuited for a west coast offense, would need to have a very unconventional offense built entirely around his skill set and strange physical stature, and we'd need an equally unsuitable backup QB.

That would probably lead to a HC change for 2020. Again, its what I think the FO will do...basically because they aren't overly smart, so they draft the excitement guy vs the potential proper fit qb. For that I would probably go Day 2 with Clayton Thorsen, or take a flier on a dev qb like Tyree Jackson who has that Cam Newton type thing going on...but bigger.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:01 pm

latest i saw suggested that they think smith out for 19. but they way they talk, they have fingers crossed (always a good way to run a football team) that just perhaps they might get him back for some of 19 and then 20...
and if not, they are good with mccoy.
i think we have probably seen the last of smith and mccoy is simply not good enough but if all this stops them shoehorning an unsuitable QB in next year, then good thing. even if we got there the long way around. i'd be looking to the following draft (i think we'll have an even higher pick). that way they can look at using QB money elsewhere (i know, not that much in a rookie from the draft).
i think that if they draft a QB then they will want, or at least try even harder, to keep P smith and crowder as, given the LG need, we are drafting their replacements well down the chain.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm

silverspring wrote:Draft (cap hit 8M)

With that injury and him most not likely playing in 2019, or very little at best, do you think he might fall to later day 3?? I would def grab in in the 6th ( which I why I hope we can add a couple of extra day 3 picks ) and plan for a Guice/Love/CT backfield for a new young qb in 2020.

Return to “Cherokee All #Redskins Tribe”