Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Your new Redskins Fan Forum, Come on in and join the TRIBE! All REDSKINS, all the TIME!
User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 pm

^^ also read that Landon Collins cleared out his locker and said goodbye to some teammates...he also said that his dream is to be a Washington Redskin. I would be fine with Collins being our splash move this offseason, plus the Alabama connection. Wonder what money he commands??

User avatar
kbg
Code Talker
Posts: 2267
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby kbg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:03 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:^^ also read that Landon Collins cleared out his locker and said goodbye to some teammates...he also said that his dream is to be a Washington Redskin. I would be fine with Collins being our splash move this offseason, plus the Alabama connection. Wonder what money he commands??


saw that. remember him saying he was a skins' fan from childhood. love to have him.

Blazewr6
Navajo
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:03 am
Age: 36
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby Blazewr6 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:37 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:I'm going to do 2 scenarios later today, both with different FA plans :
Scenario A - We go into the draft hoping to get QB Drew Lock @ #15...then I will go from there.
Scenario B - We sign a FA QB and then head to the draft, still possibly taking a QB no earlier than Round 3.
Neither might turn out perfect, but that's my today's thinking on how the FO is headed this offseason. Some based on what I have heard/read, and some based on my instincts on what the FO plan is.
To anyone reading, which Scenario above is your hope?


I am starting to lean towards a first round QB this year too. Hell I'd take Kyler Murray, Drew Lock or Daniel Jones and honestly if we suck I'd spend our first pick next year on a QB. We need to get a QB and a competent coach or we have no chance whatsoever to compete in our own division. Colt McCoy is not and has never been competent.

User avatar
Moe
Brave
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby Moe » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:54 pm

PFT had a rather amazing couple of tidbits today:
-Not a single player who changed teams in free agency last year ended up starting in the Pro Bowl for his new team.
- only four players who changed teams in free agency made the Pro Bowl at all: Chargers center Mike Pouncey, Colts tight end Eric Ebron, Jets return man Andre Roberts and Giants special teamer Michael Thomas. None of them were Pro Bowl starters.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
kbg
Code Talker
Posts: 2267
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby kbg » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Moe wrote:PFT had a rather amazing couple of tidbits today:
-Not a single player who changed teams in free agency last year ended up starting in the Pro Bowl for his new team.
- only four players who changed teams in free agency made the Pro Bowl at all: Chargers center Mike Pouncey, Colts tight end Eric Ebron, Jets return man Andre Roberts and Giants special teamer Michael Thomas. None of them were Pro Bowl starters.


tell me that this is a different andre roberts to the one who looked more look a hippo on ice when at the skins?

User avatar
Moe
Brave
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby Moe » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:18 am

kbg wrote:tell me that this is a different andre roberts to the one who looked more look a hippo on ice when at the skins?

Indeed it is not. Another swing and a miss for this team.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
Moe
Brave
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby Moe » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:32 pm

Skins got 4 compensatory picks: 3rd (96th), 5th (173rd), 6th (206th) and 7th (253rd). Been a while since that's last happened.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:12 pm

Moe wrote:Skins got 4 compensatory picks: 3rd (96th), 5th (173rd), 6th (206th) and 7th (253rd). Been a while since that's last happened.


Very pleased with that...now lets add another 6 picks :)

User avatar
kbg
Code Talker
Posts: 2267
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby kbg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:25 pm

i'm thinking about this - kraft found guilty for his "off-field" activities and NFL force him to sell. dan S decides to buy a winning team and buys the pats but has to sell us as can't own two teams. dan naturally turns the pats into a trainwreck but we get bought by someone whose mind is not soup, and they turn us around and we have a winning dynasty here.
a bloke can dream...

User avatar
lorimike
Hunter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby lorimike » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:56 am

I know these mock drafts are just names on a list but Walter Football's mock this week has me irked. It has us trading our 2nd and next year's first to move up to number five overall to selected QB Daniel Jones. And of course we get fleeced. arrrggggggg!

User avatar
ILikeSonny09
Squaw Chaser
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:04 am
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:47 pm

lorimike wrote:I know these mock drafts are just names on a list but Walter Football's mock this week has me irked. It has us trading our 2nd and next year's first to move up to number five overall to selected QB Daniel Jones. And of course we get fleeced. arrrggggggg!


Haha, I like Walter for much of what they do. But I don't take this (or any of the other mocks) very seriously until after the Combine. Before then, mock sites don't have something to say as much as they have to say something . So every week or two they'll offer a new variant. This week Walter got around to accomodating the" Redskins trade up to take a QB" crowd. I do like the way they dismiss Murray as an NFL QB prospect in more descriptive fashion than most.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:58 am

lorimike wrote:I know these mock drafts are just names on a list but Walter Football's mock this week has me irked. It has us trading our 2nd and next year's first to move up to number five overall to selected QB Daniel Jones. And of course we get fleeced. arrrggggggg!


Not a big fan of Walter Football, but even less of a fan of that scenario. Seems like Jones is getting more hype the past week though, and sounds like the FO does have interest in him. I would only support drafting him ( and by draft I mean if he falls to 15...not in a trade up scenario ) is if Gruden and O'Connell are in agreement with him..along with Kyle Smith.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:03 pm

ILikeSonny09 wrote:Haha, I like Walter for much of what they do. But I don't take this (or any of the other mocks) very seriously until after the Combine. Before then, mock sites don't have something to say as much as they have to say something . So every week or two they'll offer a new variant. This week Walter got around to accomodating the" Redskins trade up to take a QB" crowd. I do like the way they dismiss Murray as an NFL QB prospect in more descriptive fashion than most.


Agree, they have to say something. As far as realistic mocks, like you say..the more info about players + free agency moves will cause the mocks to keep flipping back and forth. Heck, I've done almost a dozen so far...many with different pre-draft scenarios. That doesn't even include thoughts into what/how coaches feel about some of our depth players that we don't really get to see. For instance, coaches seem high on RB Byron Marshall, Chris Cooley seems high on TE Matt Flannagan...and I'm sure that there are at least a dozen or so other players that the coaches/FO think can step up ( I'm thinking of CBs Adonis Alexander and Josh Holsey ) .
All I know is that FA starts in just under 2 weeks, and the draft is about 8 or 9 weeks away...going to be an interesting ride to see how things play out.

User avatar
silverspring
Code Talker
Posts: 2165
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby silverspring » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:42 am

So at this point can I assume the coaching staff is finalized and Callahan is staying?

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:28 pm

silverspring wrote:So at this point can I assume the coaching staff is finalized and Callahan is staying?


Kind of seems that way. I'm good with the changes we made other than us keeping Manusky. Only positive on that is I think that had we fired Manusky then Jim Tomsula would have left too since they are pretty close. If our D is schemed properly this year, then I would hope and expect a change at DC. I wouldn't have minded a new OL coach, I was interested in the guy from the Colts...but like DC, if OL is an issue again this season then I would hope/expect a change there too. If the season is just a crapfest, then I would hope/expect an entire changeover.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:30 pm

Post-Combine I will probably set up my top-5 prospects for all positions along with the draft day/round I think they should go. If anyone has their favorites already, post them. Some quick #1 prospects currently that I would have no problem us taking assuming we stay at #15 AND that they are still available "
QB : Kyler Murray or Drew Lock. Also good with waiting until Round 3 for either Stidham or Grier, or day 3 for Thorsen..if qb at all.
RB : none and probably wouldn't take a guy until the 7th + a couple UDFAs
TE : TJ Hockenson...think he might be best player in draft for us, but TE is deep so waiting probably makes much more sense.
WR : DK Metcalf if anyone, but WR is sneaky deep this year. With dink/dunk play...guys like Brown/Campbell/Samuel/Isabella are fits
OL : Cody Ford or Dalton Risner ( both versatile and like Risner more with a trade back ), I don't think Williams falls to 15 but he would be a consideration if so . Some very good Day 2 options also like McCoy. Need a mauler here
DL : no 5T I would take here but Zach Allen would be my favorite I think?? Some good 3T for the 4-3 though. not drafting a NT this year, but would add one via udfa or camp tryouts, same with other DL spots. I do like Omenihu though, think he might be a good one.
OLB ; Josh Allen...but no way he is there.
EDGE : Montez Sweat is probably my #1. Polite and Burns just seem too light currently. Big need though with PSmith a FA.
ILB : Devin White....slight chance he is there and fills nice hole.
CB : Byron Murphy/Deandre Baker/Greedy Williams....one of them will be there.
FS : Deionte Thompson...I think 15 might be high for him, but probably best out there? Rather get Adderly on Day 2 honestly
SS : none on day 1 I would take, but fine with Taylor Rapp in Rd 2..also fine with waiting until day 3.
thoughts?? QB decision is going to totally affect how this draft goes. Again, if the FO truly believes that Alex Smith will (a) be the 2020 starter and (b) actually be effective in that role with potential added weapons, then it makes zero sense to draft a qb before day 3 honestly. Also, if we make 1 big FA splash...which position/player do you think is WILL be and also who do you think is SHOULD be??
Last edited by VegasSkinsFan on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
silverspring
Code Talker
Posts: 2165
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby silverspring » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:53 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Kind of seems that way. I'm good with the changes we made other than us keeping Manusky. Only positive on that is I think that had we fired Manusky then Jim Tomsula would have left too since they are pretty close. If our D is schemed properly this year, then I would hope and expect a change at DC. I wouldn't have minded a new OL coach, I was interested in the guy from the Colts...but like DC, if OL is an issue again this season then I would hope/expect a change there too. If the season is just a crapfest, then I would hope/expect an entire changeover.


Yeah I'm all good with the coaching staff other than say the Head Coach :)

User avatar
silverspring
Code Talker
Posts: 2165
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby silverspring » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:55 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Post-Combine I will probably set up my top-5 prospects for all positions along with the draft day/round I think they should go. If anyone has their favorites already, post them. Some quick #1 prospects currently that I would have no problem us taking assuming we stay at #15 AND that they are still available "
QB : Kyler Murray or Drew Lock. Also good with waiting until Round 3 for either Stidham or Grier, or day 3 for Thorsen..if qb at all.
RB : none and probably wouldn't take a guy until the 7th + a couple UDFAs
TE : TJ Hockenson...think he might be best player in draft for us, but TE is deep so waiting probably makes much more sense.
WR : DK Metcalf if anyone, but WR is sneaky deep this year. With dink/dunk play...guys like Brown/Campbell/Samuel/Isabella are fits
OL : Cody Ford or Dalton Risner ( both versatile and like Risner more with a trade back ), I don't think Williams falls to 15 but he would be a consideration if so . Some very good Day 2 options also like McCoy. Need a mauler here
DL : no 5T I would take here but Zach Allen would be my favorite I think?? Some good 3T for the 4-3 though. not drafting a NT this year, but would add one via udfa or camp tryouts, same with other DL spots. I do like Omenihu though, think he might be a good one.
OLB ; Josh Allen...but no way he is there.
ILB : Devin White....slight chance he is there and fills nice hole.
CB : Byron Murphy/Deandre Baker/Greedy Williams....one of them will be there.
FS : Deionte Thompson...I think 15 might be high for him, but probably best out there? Rather get Adderly on Day 2 honestly
SS : none on day 1 I would take, but fine with Taylor Rapp in Rd 2..also fine with waiting until day 3.
thoughts?? QB decision is going to totally affect how this draft goes. Again, if the FO truly believes that Alex Smith will (a) be the 2020 starter and (b) actually be effective in that role with potential added weapons, then it makes zero sense to draft a qb before day 3 honestly.


-I do not like Kyle Murray, too many question marks
-I am cooling on Cody Ford. I just question whether he can fill the LG spot. I worry he is more of a RG and the transition might not go well and so I am hesitant to spend a 1st rounder on a guard who plays the wrong spot.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:53 pm

silverspring wrote:-I do not like Kyle Murray, too many question marks
-I am cooling on Cody Ford. I just question whether he can fill the LG spot. I worry he is more of a RG and the transition might not go well and so I am hesitant to spend a 1st rounder on a guard who plays the wrong spot.


Kyler Murray report says his weight is now 206lbs, if his speed is still insane I think that will qwell some of the worry. Russell Wilson is 215lbs for comparison. Agree that there are worries with him, but O'Connell did a camp with him and has experience in spread offenses...so I would assume that IF, a decent sized IF, we draft him that O'Connell will have a large say in it. Granted, Murray fitting Gruden's style would be a major plus too. The excitement factor for the fan base probably has Dan and Bruce interested in him too.
I don't like Daniel Jones too much, but the dink/dunk WCO we have could probably fit him well...esp if we can add a weapon like Marquise Brown or Parris Campbell...guys who can take a 3yd pass 80yds.
Cody Ford seems to be a Scherff-type guy...solid college OT who can spot fill at OT in the NFL...but true potential ProBowl OG. Having Ford and Scherff anchored around Roullier would be a nice interior OL. Plus he would be a very good backup for Morgan Moses if/when he goes down again. Having said that, I would take trade back and grab Dalton Risner + add an extra pick or 2 10 times out of 10...if OL is the definite choice in Round 1. Risner plays all 3 spots well. Again, to help the run game this year I would love it if we came away with a T/G and a G/C along with a great blocking TE...but Cooley seems sign on Matt Flanagan, so who knows what the coaches are thinking too. But those 3 upgrades would transform the run game I think.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Ok ok..so I lied , but its only because first-pick updated with comp picks, so I ran another one and did ton of logical trades. Logical in that the move back was worth what I received in compensation. I will list the trades ( all 9 haha ) and then the resulting draft :

Trade 1 : CLE gets 1-15(15)....for 1-17(17) and 2-17(49)....4-5 guys I really liked still on the board, thought the risk/reward was good
Trade 2 : GB gets 2-14(46) and 3-12 (76).... for 2-18(50), 3-11(75) and 3-17(81)
Trade 3 : TN gets 2-17(49)...for 2-19(51) and 3-27(91). I took this since we still have 2-18 anyways
Trade 4 : HOU gets 2-19(51)...for 2-22 (54) and 3-22 (86) ...didn't plan on taking any more trades but this looked ok to me
Trade 5: CHI gets 3-17(81)...for 3-23 (87), 4-24(126) and 5-24(162)...only took this because I wanted a 4th rounder
Trade 6: IND gets 3-23(87)...for 3-25(89) and 4-27(129).....was fine with small drop to add an extra 4th
Trade 7: AZ gets 3-32(96)...for 4-1(103), 5-1(139) and 6-1(174)....probably didn't need this trade, but did it looking for cheap depth
Trade 8: DEN gets 5-35(173)...for 6-2(175) and 7-6(220)...another depth move
Trade 9: DET gets 7-6(220)...for 7-10(224) and 7-15 (229)...didn't expect getting an offer, dropping 4 spots and getting an exta depth pick seemed worthwhile. These 7th rounds are always dart board types..so the more picks here, the better you might find a diamond.
* we went into the draft with 9 total picks, with trades we ended up with 20 with 7 of them in the top 100.

Your score is: 32046 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 17 (CLE): Ford, Cody, OG/OT, Oklahoma (A-)
Round 2 Pick 18 (MINN): Adderley, Nassir, CB/FS, Delaware (B+)
Round 2 Pick 22 (HOU): Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa (B+)
Round 3 Pick 11 (G.B.): Campbell, Parris, WR, Ohio State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 22 (HOU): Lock, Drew, QB, Missouri (A+)
Round 3 Pick 25 (IND): Hodge, Kalhil, ILB, Buffalo (A+)
Round 3 Pick 27 (LAC): Miller, Christian, OLB, Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1 (ARI): Williams, Joejuan, CB, Vanderbilt (A+)
Round 4 Pick 24 (CHI): Bradbury, Garrett, C, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 27 (IND): Isabella, Andy, WR, Massachusetts (A+)
Round 5 Pick 1 (ARI): Bates, Ryan, OT, Penn State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 15: Hill, Justice, RB, Oklahoma State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 24 (CHI): Giles-Harris, Joe, OLB/ILB, Duke (A)
Round 6 Pick 1 (ARI): Bars, Alex, OG, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 6 Pick 2 (PITT): Hansen, Chase, SS, Utah (A+)
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Johnson Jr, Lonnie, CB, Kentucky (A+)
Round 7 Pick 10 (DET): Banogu, Ben, DE, Texas Christian (A)
Round 7 Pick 13: Sapp, Quart'e, ILB/OLB, Tennessee (A)
Round 7 Pick 15 (DET): Boykin, Miles, WR, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 7 Pick 39 (COMP): Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford (A+)

Position by Position:
QB : Solid QB in round 3..Lock in the 3rd in probably unrealistic but would be thrilled here. If he was gone, Stidham or Grier was the pick
RB: 2 playmaking RBs in Hill and Love.
TE : we got our Gronk...great blocker and receiver. LOVE this kid, but no way does he drop this far
WR: speed, speed, and size.
OL : Ford is my LG/RT guy, Bradberry is solid C, then 2 depth guys in OT Bates and OG Bars
DL : weakest draft position here...Benogu is a dev and situational guy..but I like our current DL, not worried but would add UDFAs
EDGE: 2nd weakest position in my draft but Miller and Giles-Harris, along with DE Benogu have upside with good coaching..plus Miller has that Alabama connection
ILB : Love adding Hodge to our current group. Both Giles-Harris and Sapp can play here too...same with Chase Hansen as Dimebacker
CB : Even though Adderley is listed as both CB/FS..i have him as a FS. Williams and Johnson Jr have decent upside to add to our very young current corp
SS : Really wanted one of the top SS guys but liked my picks just as much, so looked for depth and got Hansen. He has some issues with speed, but should earn his keep as a ST guy while playing in the box/dimebacker spot
FS : I like Adderley..plus versatile enough to play CB.
Probably my best mock so far.

User avatar
Moe
Brave
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby Moe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:02 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Kyler Murray report says his weight is now 206lbs, if his speed is still insane I think that will qwell some of the worry. Russell Wilson is 215lbs for comparison. Agree that there are worries with him, but O'Connell did a camp with him and has experience in spread offenses...so I would assume that IF, a decent sized IF, we draft him that O'Connell will have a large say in it. Granted, Murray fitting Gruden's style would be a major plus too. The excitement factor for the fan base probably has Dan and Bruce interested in him too.

I find myself having a tough time figuring out how I feel about Murray and his potential for this team. I heard a lot about how effective he was last year inside the pocket and that despite his athleticism he isn't a whirling dervish, scrambling gimmick that many claim him to be. He led the nation in yards per attempt, was 3rd in td's and had the 2nd highest efficiency rating ever.at 199.2 (Tua has the highest at 199.4).He's got a really good arm, is very fast and if he was 2 inches taller would almost certainly be the top QB selected. I think there's a valid argument for limited experience and some sketchy competition he may have exploited, but that holds true for all but a few of these guys. I don't expect him to be available for this team but I think I'm less worried about what he can do if somehow he is the selection.

I don't like Daniel Jones too much, but the dink/dunk WCO we have could probably fit him well...esp if we can add a weapon like Marquise Brown or Parris Campbell...guys who can take a 3yd pass 80yds.

Jones seems boring but I struggle with that being a bad reason to take him. He's been well coached and moved the needle at freaking Duke of all places, so there's something there to work with. In the little I have seen of him, my concern is mostly that he has a low(er) ceiling and maybe plays a little more conservatively than I would prefer.
It's hard not to be excited by Lock and that arm of his, but the knock on him is accuracy which is hard to improve and i read a review where he had a stretch of interceptions that were him simply not reading the D properly and that scares me. I know he hasn't had great coaching, or a lot of surrounding talent, so possibly he could really elevate...or he's true to the comparison and is Jay Cutler v.2.
I'm a sucker for experience and I think QB, behind only playing golf, requires tons of repetition to really shine and for that reason I keep coming back to Thorsen, who I know you also like. He physically checks a lot of boxes, performed well on a middling program, was getting a lot of hype last year before the knee injury and has more experience than any other QB by a good margin. Seems like a high value option.

Cody Ford seems to be a Scherff-type guy...solid college OT who can spot fill at OT in the NFL...but true potential ProBowl OG. Having Ford and Scherff anchored around Roullier would be a nice interior OL. Plus he would be a very good backup for Morgan Moses if/when he goes down again. Having said that, I would take trade back and grab Dalton Risner + add an extra pick or 2 10 times out of 10...if OL is the definite choice in Round 1. Risner plays all 3 spots well. Again, to help the run game this year I would love it if we came away with a T/G and a G/C along with a great blocking TE...but Cooley seems sign on Matt Flanagan, so who knows what the coaches are thinking too. But those 3 upgrades would transform the run game I think.

I'd like to see this team add at least 2 bodies to the o-line. I'll defer to you on a guy like Risner but if he's near what Scherff is then hell yes and some versatility is always a bonus. I think they need another OT as well; NSekhe might leave and isn't young anyway, Trent is getting up there and he and Moses struggle annually with injuries. Christian might help, but beyond him there is a need.

A name I've heard pop up a lot recently is Chase Winovich, what are your thoughts on him? Maybe early 2nd round option?
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
Moe
Brave
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby Moe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:29 am

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Ok ok..so I lied , but its only because first-pick updated with comp picks, so I ran another one and did ton of logical trades. Logical in that the move back was worth what I received in compensation. I will list the trades ( all 9 haha ) and then the resulting draft :

Trade 1 : CLE gets 1-15(15)....for 1-17(17) and 2-17(49)....4-5 guys I really liked still on the board, thought the risk/reward was good
Trade 2 : GB gets 2-14(46) and 3-12 (76).... for 2-18(50), 3-11(75) and 3-17(81)
Trade 3 : TN gets 2-17(49)...for 2-19(51) and 3-27(91). I took this since we still have 2-18 anyways
Trade 4 : HOU gets 2-19(51)...for 2-22 (54) and 3-22 (86) ...didn't plan on taking any more trades but this looked ok to me
Trade 5: CHI gets 3-17(81)...for 3-23 (87), 4-24(126) and 5-24(162)...only took this because I wanted a 4th rounder
Trade 6: IND gets 3-23(87)...for 3-25(89) and 4-27(129).....was fine with small drop to add an extra 4th
Trade 7: AZ gets 3-32(96)...for 4-1(103), 5-1(139) and 6-1(174)....probably didn't need this trade, but did it looking for cheap depth
Trade 8: DEN gets 5-35(173)...for 6-2(175) and 7-6(220)...another depth move
Trade 9: DET gets 7-6(220)...for 7-10(224) and 7-15 (229)...didn't expect getting an offer, dropping 4 spots and getting an exta depth pick seemed worthwhile. These 7th rounds are always dart board types..so the more picks here, the better you might find a diamond.
* we went into the draft with 9 total picks, with trades we ended up with 20 with 7 of them in the top 100.

Your score is: 32046 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 17 (CLE): Ford, Cody, OG/OT, Oklahoma (A-)
Round 2 Pick 18 (MINN): Adderley, Nassir, CB/FS, Delaware (B+)
Round 2 Pick 22 (HOU): Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa (B+)
Round 3 Pick 11 (G.B.): Campbell, Parris, WR, Ohio State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 22 (HOU): Lock, Drew, QB, Missouri (A+)
Round 3 Pick 25 (IND): Hodge, Kalhil, ILB, Buffalo (A+)
Round 3 Pick 27 (LAC): Miller, Christian, OLB, Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1 (ARI): Williams, Joejuan, CB, Vanderbilt (A+)
Round 4 Pick 24 (CHI): Bradbury, Garrett, C, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 27 (IND): Isabella, Andy, WR, Massachusetts (A+)
Round 5 Pick 1 (ARI): Bates, Ryan, OT, Penn State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 15: Hill, Justice, RB, Oklahoma State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 24 (CHI): Giles-Harris, Joe, OLB/ILB, Duke (A)
Round 6 Pick 1 (ARI): Bars, Alex, OG, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 6 Pick 2 (PITT): Hansen, Chase, SS, Utah (A+)
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Johnson Jr, Lonnie, CB, Kentucky (A+)
Round 7 Pick 10 (DET): Banogu, Ben, DE, Texas Christian (A)
Round 7 Pick 13: Sapp, Quart'e, ILB/OLB, Tennessee (A)
Round 7 Pick 15 (DET): Boykin, Miles, WR, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 7 Pick 39 (COMP): Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford (A+)

Position by Position:
QB : Solid QB in round 3..Lock in the 3rd in probably unrealistic but would be thrilled here. If he was gone, Stidham or Grier was the pick
RB: 2 playmaking RBs in Hill and Love.
TE : we got our Gronk...great blocker and receiver. LOVE this kid, but no way does he drop this far
WR: speed, speed, and size.
OL : Ford is my LG/RT guy, Bradberry is solid C, then 2 depth guys in OT Bates and OG Bars
DL : weakest draft position here...Benogu is a dev and situational guy..but I like our current DL, not worried but would add UDFAs
EDGE: 2nd weakest position in my draft but Miller and Giles-Harris, along with DE Benogu have upside with good coaching..plus Miller has that Alabama connection
ILB : Love adding Hodge to our current group. Both Giles-Harris and Sapp can play here too...same with Chase Hansen as Dimebacker
CB : Even though Adderley is listed as both CB/FS..i have him as a FS. Williams and Johnson Jr have decent upside to add to our very young current corp
SS : Really wanted one of the top SS guys but liked my picks just as much, so looked for depth and got Hansen. He has some issues with speed, but should earn his keep as a ST guy while playing in the box/dimebacker spot
FS : I like Adderley..plus versatile enough to play CB.
Probably my best mock so far.

I know you can't help yourself, and I appreciate the efforts, but 20 picks? You forced me to google it, but the most picks any team has ever had in the 7 round draft era was 14 by Miami in '97.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:42 am

silverspring wrote:Yeah I'm all good with the coaching staff other than say the Head Coach :)


Just saw a tweet, but not sure if it was real saying that TE Coach Wes Phillips is leaving to join the Rams staff so he can be with his dad.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:45 am

Moe wrote:I know you can't help yourself, and I appreciate the efforts, but 20 picks? You forced me to google it, but the most picks any team has ever had in the 7 round draft era was 14 by Miami in '97.


Yeah, funny thing was that I had only planned on doing 2 trade backs at most...but then I was getting such great offers I said what the heck. I will do another 1 or 2 today...one with zero trades and 1 with only 1 trade while still using #15. I will also run those drafts only using the players listed as "best remaining value"..which is usually a list of about 20 guys. What I normally do after Round 4-5 is look at that list, and then look at each positional list to see who might fit us there better.
EDIT : as far as realistic trade backs, what I want is :
a- another day 2 pick
b- a 4th rounder
c- using one of our 5th's to trade back and get either 2 6ths or a 6th and 7th...use these picks for depth/guys that might have dropped due to injury or something. If you look at most of my mocks, I try to grab RB Bryce Love in the 6th/7th for example...with the thought process of having him on IR and plan for him to be ready by 2020.

OK, so here is what popped up with doing ZERO trades and only using guys listed as Best Value Remaining. No clue how Josh Allen was sitting there, but I jumped on him. Tough decision honestly between him , ILB Devin White and OL Dalton Risner though. Hated that I didn't get us an ILB or S...but none were listed in some rounds, and the ones that were listed earlier I decided on going with who I went with. oh well Also didn't take into account any FA additions. This afternoon with do one with a trade or 2 but still taking best guy @ #15...try to add an extra Day 2 pick and a 4th somehow with what is offered.

Your score is: 30392 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 15: Allen, Josh, OLB, Kentucky (A+)
Round 2 Pick 14: Jenkins, Elgton, OT/C, Mississippi State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 12: Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa (A+)
Round 3 Pick 32 (COMP): Samuel, Deebo, WR, South Carolina (A+)
Round 5 Pick 15: Granderson, Carl, DE, Wyoming (A+)
Round 5 Pick 35 (COMP): Smith , Saivion, CB, Alabama (A+)
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Boykin, Miles, WR, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 7 Pick 13: Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford (A+)
Round 7 Pick 39 (COMP): Crawford, Xavier, CB, Central Michigan (A+)
Last edited by VegasSkinsFan on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 am

Moe wrote:I find myself having a tough time figuring out how I feel about Murray and his potential for this team. I heard a lot about how effective he was last year inside the pocket and that despite his athleticism he isn't a whirling dervish, scrambling gimmick that many claim him to be. He led the nation in yards per attempt, was 3rd in td's and had the 2nd highest efficiency rating ever.at 199.2 (Tua has the highest at 199.4).He's got a really good arm, is very fast and if he was 2 inches taller would almost certainly be the top QB selected. I think there's a valid argument for limited experience and some sketchy competition he may have exploited, but that holds true for all but a few of these guys. I don't expect him to be available for this team but I think I'm less worried about what he can do if somehow he is the selection.


Jones seems boring but I struggle with that being a bad reason to take him. He's been well coached and moved the needle at freaking Duke of all places, so there's something there to work with. In the little I have seen of him, my concern is mostly that he has a low(er) ceiling and maybe plays a little more conservatively than I would prefer.
It's hard not to be excited by Lock and that arm of his, but the knock on him is accuracy which is hard to improve and i read a review where he had a stretch of interceptions that were him simply not reading the D properly and that scares me. I know he hasn't had great coaching, or a lot of surrounding talent, so possibly he could really elevate...or he's true to the comparison and is Jay Cutler v.2.
I'm a sucker for experience and I think QB, behind only playing golf, requires tons of repetition to really shine and for that reason I keep coming back to Thorsen, who I know you also like. He physically checks a lot of boxes, performed well on a middling program, was getting a lot of hype last year before the knee injury and has more experience than any other QB by a good margin. Seems like a high value option.


I'd like to see this team add at least 2 bodies to the o-line. I'll defer to you on a guy like Risner but if he's near what Scherff is then hell yes and some versatility is always a bonus. I think they need another OT as well; NSekhe might leave and isn't young anyway, Trent is getting up there and he and Moses struggle annually with injuries. Christian might help, but beyond him there is a need.

A name I've heard pop up a lot recently is Chase Winovich, what are your thoughts on him? Maybe early 2nd round option?


1: Yeah Murray is an enigma for me, key will be what the FO/coaches think not only about him and the other prospects, but their true feelings on whether Alex Smith can/will be our starter for the 2020 ad 2021 seasons??

2. Yeah, Jones is boring and not in my top 3 choices for us. About Lock's accurancy, that is my only concern with him. Seems like accuracy is the one thing that is really hard to coach up. Im good with a Round 3 or later guy like Stidham/Grier/Rypien/Thorsen but more so from the floor of a good backup to the ceiling of a capable but doubtful to be a top tier starting qb.

3. Totally agree, I think we need a minimum of 2 guys for the OL...starting quality LG and then a OT who can also play G. Preferably we would also be able to get a C/G hybrid too. Both Ford and Risner have versatility, but there are a couple others too like Deiter, McCoy for example. I am still wanting to see how Casey Dunn has developed, decent anchor who can double as C/G. I also liked how Christian was coming along, hopefully the injury doesn't stall his development and strength though. I still also think Timon Parris could be a backup G at worst...but needs to prove himself.

4. I do like Winovich, definitely a Day 2 guy in my book. But for us, our BIG need along the front line is an EDGE rusher who has explosion....of the top names other than Josh Allen who should be long gone by #15, Montez Sweat would be my choice IF we take EDGE at #15. Burns/Polite look good but sesem really small to me. Growing very fond of Omenihu and would jump on him in a trade back I think. He was my target in the above mock, I traded back 2 spots and the team inbetween my picks took him haha. I have never drafted Winovich in any of my mocks, but he should be a solid blue collar type player.

User avatar
Moe
Brave
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 am
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby Moe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Saw that Miami is releasing Robert Quinn and Cincy is looking to trade disappointing speedster Johnathan Ross. Quinn will likely get snapped up and probably costs too much anyway, but he can still get after the QB. Ross was literally invisible his rookie year (zero catches) and while he only got 28 last year, he did have 7 td's. He runs $2m this year and $2.8m in '20, so he's a cheap speed option for someone.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

User avatar
silverspring
Code Talker
Posts: 2165
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby silverspring » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Moe wrote:Saw that Miami is releasing Robert Quinn and Cincy is looking to trade disappointing speedster Johnathan Ross. Quinn will likely get snapped up and probably costs too much anyway, but he can still get after the QB. Ross was literally invisible his rookie year (zero catches) and while he only got 28 last year, he did have 7 td's. He runs $2m this year and $2.8m in '20, so he's a cheap speed option for someone.


Ross seems a perfect fit. Speed and always injured. Bruce Allen will be all over this he loves injury ridden players. Maybe we will get 16 games combined if between him and Paul Richardson.

Ross is really the perfect example of why you should be wary of the big combine risers. That being said if we can get him for nothing, like for instance give them mason foster, it might be worth it.

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Moe wrote:Saw that Miami is releasing Robert Quinn and Cincy is looking to trade disappointing speedster Johnathan Ross. Quinn will likely get snapped up and probably costs too much anyway, but he can still get after the QB. Ross was literally invisible his rookie year (zero catches) and while he only got 28 last year, he did have 7 td's. He runs $2m this year and $2.8m in '20, so he's a cheap speed option for someone.


This was a quick one I did this morning that ended up in my other post....ZERO trades, only used our original 5 + 4comp picks

OK, so here is what popped up with doing ZERO trades and only using guys listed as Best Value Remaining. No clue how Josh Allen was sitting there, but I jumped on him. Tough decision honestly between him , ILB Devin White and OL Dalton Risner though. Hated that I didn't get us an ILB or S...but none were listed in some rounds, and the ones that were listed earlier I decided on going with who I went with. oh well Also didn't take into account any FA additions. This afternoon with do one with a trade or 2 but still taking best guy @ #15...try to add an extra Day 2 pick and a 4th somehow with what is offered.

Your score is: 30392 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 15: Allen, Josh, OLB, Kentucky (A+)
Round 2 Pick 14: Jenkins, Elgton, OT/C, Mississippi State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 12: Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa (A+)
Round 3 Pick 32 (COMP): Samuel, Deebo, WR, South Carolina (A+)
Round 5 Pick 15: Granderson, Carl, DE, Wyoming (A+)
Round 5 Pick 35 (COMP): Smith , Saivion, CB, Alabama (A+)
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Boykin, Miles, WR, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 7 Pick 13: Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford (A+)
Round 7 Pick 39 (COMP): Crawford, Xavier, CB, Central Michigan (A+)


Here is my last pre-FA mock I think..this is one where I limited myself to only 3 trades max, and any that I took in Round 1 could only have me moving back no further than pick #20 :
Your score is: 32178 (GRADE: A+)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 17 (CLE): Risner, Dalton, OT/OG, Kansas State (B-)
Round 2 Pick 14: Adderley, Nassir, CB/FS, Delaware (B+)
Round 3 Pick 16 (CLE): Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa (A+)
Round 3 Pick 18 (TENN): Hodge, Kalhil, ILB, Buffalo (A)
Round 3 Pick 32 (COMP): Campbell, Parris, WR, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 3 (NYJ): Jordan, Michael, OG/C, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 15 (ATL): Isabella, Andy, WR, Massachusetts (A+)
Round 4 Pick 19 (TENN): Bradbury, Garrett, C, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 15: Rypien, Brett, QB, Boise State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 19 (TENN): Giles-Harris, Joe, OLB/ILB, Duke (A)
Round 5 Pick 35 (COMP): Granderson, Carl, DE, Wyoming (A+)
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Hansen, Chase, SS, Utah (A+)
Round 7 Pick 13: Johnson Jr, Lonnie, CB, Kentucky (A+)
Round 7 Pick 39 (COMP): Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford (A+)

As you can see there are hits and missed with both plans of action. Plan 1 was doubtful right off the back with Josh Allen falling, but I guess you never know?? Plan 2 thought process was a good one, but even with adding 5 picks, I still ended up with missing on a true edge rusher as both Giles-Harris and Granderson would be works in progress. OL/WR/Secondary/TE all look improved. I do like Hodge as a Foster or Brown replacement. I threw in Rypien, think he could be ok in our system. Considering they graded my 1st 2 picks as B- and B+, I still ended up with an A+ grade. No way do I see Hockenson dropping to round 2, much less Round 3 though, Bradberry in the 4th is a steal. Was happy with getting 5 picks between days 1 and 2 while also ending up with 3 4ths. Here is how this particular draft played out in its entirety....you can see where I missed and guys that maybe I should not have skipped over :
https://www.first-pick.com/NFL/DraftSummary.aspx

User avatar
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm
Age: 50
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:40 pm

I'm still I the Pre-combine mindset that:
- IF we stay at #15 : CB/ILB/EDGE/S should be the targets all depending on FA.
- WR is very deep, even through entire draft. Would love a guy or 2 with great speed ( /BrownCampbell/Isabella) and a size guy ( Boykin late ). You could argue that, but speed is the most lacking factor on the team overall so that's why I say that
- RB is decent but not many pro-bowl types...give me a guy on day 3
- OL sweetspot is between Mid-1st thru mid-2nd with some others up until mid-3rd. Again, Stud LG along with another OT and maybe C/G. I think we need minimum of 2 OL picks, saying that without knowing how are dev guys are coming along
- TE is deep..should still be able to get a decent guy here on Day 3. Love Hock but not sure TE early is smartest way to go but Sternberger on Day 2 would be a good consolation prize for passing on Hock.
- QB is meh, to me even the top prospects have big time issues and none will make us top-tier but Murray would at least bring excitement
- DL is deep, if we get one that isn't considered an edge rusher then Day 3 would be where I go probably mainly due to our current corp. I usually end up with either Granderson or Benogu. I'm also adding 2 via UDFA
- ILB has a couple good prospects and handful of guys that could be solid. I think White(1st) and Hodge(Rd3?) are my guys??
-EDGE/OLB looks ok to me...but if you want a top guy than you have to hope that Sweat drops to #15, some decent EDGE/DE listed guys that look to have some upside as dev situational pass rushers. I think #15 is too early for Burns/Polite/Omenihu..but none will be there when we pick in Round 2.
-CB looks great early and decent mid-late. Could Easily be the pick if we move on from Norman...Murphy-Baker-Williams the choices
-SS top couple look good, after that it will be hit and miss.
-FS..same thing as SS in my book

User avatar
kbg
Code Talker
Posts: 2267
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Your 2019 Offseason Plan

Postby kbg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Moe wrote:I know you can't help yourself, and I appreciate the efforts, but 20 picks? You forced me to google it, but the most picks any team has ever had in the 7 round draft era was 14 by Miami in '97.



i know it is all hypothetical but the concern for me, with that number of picks, is that come camp time, you'll have to cut half of them and while one can argue that means we get the best 10 out of 20, for example, the ten we get came from lower picks than we could have used had we not traded back. sure, that then assumes us getting the ten right but i still like my chances with higher picks overall.


Return to “Cherokee All #Redskins Tribe”

Who is online

Users browsing this Redskins forum: No registered users and 10 guests