2022, A new name, logo and anniversary.

Your all Commanders Fan Forum, Come on in and join the group! All COMMANDERS, all the TIME!
Skins-R-Us
Owner

Re: 2022 offseason...what now?

Postby Skins-R-Us » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:19 pm

prophesizer wrote:I feel that the new team nickname should be the “D.C. Commanders”
…. it rolls off the tongue better, and it is more inclusive.

I moved this post to this topic which was more in line. I think you are in the minority on the board. Most seem opposed to the military names. In the end they aren't going to make everyone happy no matter what they choose. Welcome to the board.
0 x
0 x
Washington Football Team, NFC Champs 2020

Farmer Ted
Lieutenant

Re: 2022, A new name, logo and anniversary.

Postby Farmer Ted » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:59 pm

I like the DC option, although my pick would be The DC Hogs.
0 x
0 x

Skins-R-Us
Owner

Postby Skins-R-Us » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:02 pm

Farmer Ted wrote:I like the DC option, although my pick would be The DC Hogs.

Could be Pigskins then all of our songs would still basically work. And our official snacks could be pork rinds!
1 x
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:38 pm

Boom Esaisen leaked that it was Admirals, but not sure if that is true...plus he HATES our organization.
0 x
0 x

Farmer Ted
Lieutenant

Postby Farmer Ted » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:00 pm

Admirals seems pretty weird for DC, it's not exactly a naval city. It's hard to believe they spent a year coming up with that. It's better than Wizards, though, lol.
0 x
0 x

34Drive
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Postby 34Drive » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:07 pm

prophesizer wrote:I feel that the new team nickname should be the “D.C. Commanders”
…. it rolls off the tongue better, and it is more inclusive.

Hoping for Commanders of all things. It's kind of like a character from Marvel Comics and all, but it has a historical connection to the city and the residents. The President is the "Commander" in Chief. The city is named after our first "Commander" who was also the revolutionary general that risked his life, fortune and good name to fight the most powerful army in the world-and beat them on the fields of battle. So to the brother posters who see no connection, I beg you to consider the great commanders of the country who took us into battle, including our first president. As to the name "Admirals", the connection is more tenuous but there's a large naval presence in the DC area including the historic Washington Naval Yards. We're the home of several admirals, and have the US Naval Academy in Annapolis --literally an hour out of town. Whatever they do, I hope our new name is the envy and class of the league. I remember back in the seventies, they asked the Redskins "who has the best name, logo and uniform in the league?" The answer was almost unanimous: "the Dallas Cowboys!" For the Cowboys had white, comfortable jerseys. Silver pants. A simple logo. They didn't have crazy looking vertical striped brown socks, or a fish jumping on their helmet; they didn't have a mustached Tom Selleck-like "Buccaneer" on their logo, or a strange looking bird. Let me be brutally honest here: the last twenty years, with our yellow shoes and yellow pants, we've looked like Ronald McDonald in body armor. An undignified joke. Even the name has grown a little tiresome. To some (not -all) when one says "Redskins" it harkens back to an era in the first Teddy Roosevelt term when Indian coinage, imagery, and cigars were popular amongst sportsmen and liquor vendors. Let's face it: millennials are the new consumers, not guys from the last century. The world has moved on, particularly millennials worldwide. The world doesn't care for the name "Redskins" (sounds like it belongs on an apartheid era sign in a South African subway) and the world has moved on, and by the way, we do reach out to a World Market. We reach out to people in Spain, Istanbul and Beijing. We reach out to people of all nationalities, including people who, unfortunately live in societies that segregate on a basis of class, skin color and religion. So let's add some simplicity, style and dignity to the team and pick a name, that is simple to understand; a logo that is dignified and recognizable; and team uniforms that are white, comfortable and players feel proud to wear. Hail to the Redskins! And if we get nostalgic, we can always bring out the yellow seat cushions, the Riggo megaphones and ancient penants. You can wear one 'a hog nose all day long at the new stadium. But enough is enough. Let's be the best, and forget the last 28 years. And remember the words uttered by our dear Dexter on the sidelines at the very end of the disasterous first quarter against the Broncos, Super Bowl XXII, in San Diego: "We coming' back y'all! We gonna do it!!!" You all know what happened next. Keep your heads up my fellow Skins fans, and don't despair. The best is yet to come!
0 x
0 x
“Randy, it’s coming at you.” Russ Grimm, 1983

bigcmr
Lieutenant

Postby bigcmr » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:18 am

34Drive wrote:Hoping for Commanders of all things. It's kind of Marvel Comics and all, but it has a historical connection to the city and the residents. The President is the "Commander" in Chief. The city is named after our first "Commander" who was also the revolutionary general that risked his life, fortune and good name to fight the most powerful army in the world-and beat them on the fields of battle. So to the brother posters who see no connection, I beg you to consider the great commanders of the country who took us into battle, including our first president. As to the name "Admirals", the connection is more tenuous but there's a large naval presence in the DC area including the historic Washington Naval Yards. We're the home of several admirals, and have the US Naval Academy in Annapolis --literally an hour out of town. Whatever they do, I hope our new name is the envy and class of the league. I remember back in the seventies, they asked the Redskins "who has the best name, logo and uniform in the league?" The answer was almost unanimous: the Dallas Cowboys! The players didn't lie! For the Cowboys had white, comfortable jerseys. Silver pants. A simple logo. They didn't have crazy looking vertical striped brown socks, or a fish jumping on their helmet; they didn't have a mustached Tom Selleck-like "Buccaneer" on their logo, or a strange looking bird. Let me be brutally honest here: the last twenty years, with our yellow shoes and yellow pants, we've looked like Ronald McDonald in body armor. Even the name has grown a little tiresome. To some (not -all) when one says "Redskins" it harkens back to an era in the first Roosevelt term when Indian coinage and cigars were popular amongst sportsmen and liquor vendors. Let's face it: millennials are the new consumers, not guys from the last century. The world has moved on, particularly millennials worldwide. The world doesn't care for "Redskins" (sounds like an apartheid term in a South African subway) and the world has moved on, and by the way, we do reach out to a World Market. We reach out to people in Spain, Istanbul and Beijing. Let's add some simplicity, style and dignity to the team and pick a name, that is simple to understand; a logo that is dignified and recognizable; and team uniforms that players feel proud to wear.

I disagree with everything you just said. If you polled all the fans of this team I don't care what age they are. I would bet you anything that the name Redskins would be the choice to keep by a huge margin. If it was allowed to be kept.

Thats why the name RedWolves was very popular with many millennials. The name and colors would of been very close to Redskins. Hell I was even warming up to that name. (And trust me I am very stubborn and bitter over losing the Redskins name) But we have to remember who owns this team. Yes a little jack ass named Snyder who cares less about the fans. And only cares about getting richer. He has killed this fan base slowly but surely. And a lame name like Commanders or Admirals might just be the last straw with many.

This whole Jason Wright thing making the brand thing is turning out to be a joke. They never listened to the fans. Snyder has the name he wanted picked out a year and a half ago. The whole rebrand thing is just a way for the little jack ass to make huge money on merchandise.

All that being said I hate the name Commanders it sucks. Give me Redhogs Hogs or Redtails.
0 x
0 x
Boycott!!! Do not spend a dime on this team till Snyder is gone.

34Drive
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Postby 34Drive » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:31 am

bigcmr wrote:I disagree with everything you just said. If you polled all the fans of this team I don't care what age they are. I would bet you anything that the name Redskins would be the choice to keep by a huge margin. If it was allowed to be kept.

Thats why the name RedWolves was very popular with many millennials. The name and colors would of been very close to Redskins. Hell I was even warming up to that name. (And trust me I am very stubborn and bitter over losing the Redskins name) But we have to remember who owns this team. Yes a little jack ass named Snyder who cares less about the fans. And only cares about getting richer. He has killed this fan base slowly but surely. And a lame name like Commanders or Admirals might just be the last straw with many.

This whole Jason Wright thing making the brand thing is turning out to be a joke. They never listened to the fans. Snyder has the name he wanted picked out a year and a half ago. The whole rebrand thing is just a way for the little jack ass to make huge money on merchandise.

All that being said I hate the name Commanders it sucks. Give me Redhogs Hogs or Redtails.

I have gone through the four stages of "name loss" and that is 1) shock; 2) denial; 3) anger; and 4) acceptance. Fighting this just ruins our short, valuable time and empowers liberal weenies nationwide. Cut to a new name. Make it good. Move forward. Hey, did the Bullets go under when they became the Wizards? Did the Bobcats fold when they reverted to the name "Hornets"? Just roll with it.
0 x
0 x

bigcmr
Lieutenant

Postby bigcmr » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:14 am

34Drive wrote:I have gone through the four stages of "name loss" and that is 1) shock; 2) denial; 3) anger; and 4) acceptance. Fighting this just ruins our short, valuable time and empowers liberal weenies nationwide. Cut to a new name. Make it good. Move forward. Hey, did the Bullets go under when they became the Wizards? Did the Bobcats fold when they reverted to the name "Hornets"? Just roll with it.

LOL I guess the only way I will have full name loss acceptance is if the new name represents us as fans. Thats why I hate some of the names that are rumored. Us as fans should of at least had a chance to vote on the new name. After all we are the ones buying merchandise and tickets. But really involving the fans is un-Synder like.

That whole fake BS video they put out about redwoves not being an option because of copy rights is BS. Come on lets face it Snyder didnt want that name. Or else strings could of been pulled. Money talks.
0 x
0 x

34Drive
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Postby 34Drive » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:07 am

bigcmr wrote:LOL I guess the only way I will have full name loss acceptance is if the new name represents us as fans. Thats why I hate some of the names that are rumored. Us as fans should of at least had a chance to vote on the new name. After all we are the ones buying merchandise and tickets. But really involving the fans is un-Synder like.

That whole fake BS video they put out about redwoves not being an option because of copy rights is BS. Come on lets face it Snyder didnt want that name. Or else strings could of been pulled. Money talks.

RedWolves was probably marketed all over the country and found lacking.
0 x
0 x

Moe
Commander

Postby Moe » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:23 am

bigcmr wrote:LOL I guess the only way I will have full name loss acceptance is if the new name represents us as fans. Thats why I hate some of the names that are rumored. Us as fans should of at least had a chance to vote on the new name. After all we are the ones buying merchandise and tickets. But really involving the fans is un-Synder like.

I've heard that any name related to Wolves got push back from the NBA because of the Timberwolves, who has the money and power to influence such a decision.
0 x
0 x
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

SkinsGuru
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Postby SkinsGuru » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:51 am

Moe wrote:I've heard that any name related to Wolves got push back from the NBA because of the Timberwolves, who has the money and power to influence such a decision.

Arkansas State University Red Wolves own the right to that name, so Dan wouldn't be able to make enough money if it were chosen, so it will not be the name.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby RI Skins fan » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:12 pm

They can change the name but the team will always be The Redskins to me

this name change BS is looking like a disaster and just another way to deflect attention by the idiot owner
1 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators just need to get more out of the players we have

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Skins-R-Us
Owner

Postby Skins-R-Us » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:09 pm

RI Skins fan wrote:They can change the name but the team will always be The Redskins to me

this name change BS is looking like a disaster and just another way to deflect attention by the idiot owner

Any one that was born or became a Redskin fan after 1992 will have little or no skin in the name game (pun intended). The fans prior to that that got to experience good Redskin football are the fans that have the bigger issue and are more resistant to change, because those were our glory years. The team may have a new name but they will always be Redskins to us. That legacy will die with us. We may accept the new name, but we will never fully embrace it the way newer fans and new fans will, no matter what it is. That's just human nature. Only time will erode the Redskin legacy to just history.
0 x
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:40 pm

Of all of the Military names thrown into the ring, my favorite would be Commanders, esp if we go with DC instead of Washington. I feel like the DC Commanders just rolls off the tongue smoothly?
0 x
0 x

bigcmr
Lieutenant

Postby bigcmr » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:26 pm

Moe wrote:I've heard that any name related to Wolves got push back from the NBA because of the Timberwolves, who has the money and power to influence such a decision.

I am not a Lawyer and I don't know much how trade mark laws work. But that makes no sense to me. How do the Timberwolves own every variation to the name Wolves? Redwolves is a completely different name to Timberwolves.

As for Arkansas State owning that name. You cant tell me big NFL money could not have turned some keys on that.

Bottom line is Snyder didn't want that name. Lets not fool our self's here. They have had the name they wanted picked out over a year ago.
0 x
0 x

bigcmr
Lieutenant

Postby bigcmr » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:30 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Of all of the Military names thrown into the ring, my favorite would be Commanders, esp if we go with DC instead of Washington. I feel like the DC Commanders just rolls off the tongue smoothly?

If it is going to be military. I want Redtails. Its unique has a lot of meaning fits out colors. Like I said before the other names as in Commanders Admirals ect are just too arena football to me.
0 x
0 x

SkinsGuru
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Postby SkinsGuru » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:30 pm

bigcmr wrote:I am not a Lawyer and I don't know much how trade mark laws work. But that makes no sense to me. How do the Timberwolves own every variation to the name Wolves? Redwolves is a completely different name to Timberwolves.

As for Arkansas State owning that name. You cant tell me big NFL money could not have turned some keys on that.

Bottom line is Snyder didn't want that name. Lets not fool our self's here. They have had the name they wanted picked out over a year ago.

Arkansas State would have let WFT use the name, just like the Carolina soccer team. But they want a large cut of all merchandise sales and that is what Dan Snyder doesn't want. He is all about the $$$$.
0 x
0 x

bigcmr
Lieutenant

Postby bigcmr » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:31 pm

RI Skins fan wrote:They can change the name but the team will always be The Redskins to me

You are 100% on the money with that one.
0 x
0 x

bigcmr
Lieutenant

Postby bigcmr » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:35 pm

SkinsGuru wrote:Arkansas State would have let WFT use the name, just like the Carolina soccer team. But they want a large cut of all merchandise sales and that is what Dan Snyder doesn't want. He is all about the $$$$.

Exactly little Danny boy cares nothing about us fans. Look at the disasters at Fedex as an example. This whole making the brand thing is turning into a big joke.
1 x
0 x

VegasSkinsFan
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:53 pm

bigcmr wrote:If it is going to be military. I want Redtails. Its unique has a lot of meaning fits out colors. Like I said before the other names as in Commanders Admirals ect are just too arena football to me.

To me, when you think about it, most team names sound Minor League until you get used to them .
0 x
0 x

Farmer Ted
Lieutenant

Postby Farmer Ted » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:21 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:To me, when you think about it, most team names sound Minor League until you get used to them .

Most of them sound like they were named by a five year old right after they went to the zoo for the first time. There are only a handful in the NFL that are decent, imo.

I can live with Commanders. It's better than The Washington Generals, although that would be right on the nose, lol.
0 x
0 x

bigcmr
Lieutenant

Postby bigcmr » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:32 am

Farmer Ted wrote:Most of them sound like they were named by a five year old right after they went to the zoo for the first time. There are only a handful in the NFL that are decent, imo.

I can live with Commanders. It's better than The Washington Generals, although that would be right on the nose, lol.

All this wait to come up with something lame like Commanders? Yep that sounds like Snyder.
0 x
0 x

Farmer Ted
Lieutenant

Postby Farmer Ted » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:22 pm

bigcmr wrote:All this wait to come up with something lame like Commanders? Yep that sounds like Snyder.

Yeah, and I don't understand why Rivera would have much pull on the new name. Two years from now and he could be gone.

My problem with Commanders is there's no good way to shorten it other than to call them the Commies. And I'd probably pick Commandos over Commanders as well.
0 x
0 x

lorimike
Lieutenant

Postby lorimike » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:27 pm

Farmer Ted wrote:Yeah, and I don't understand why Rivera would have much pull on the new name. Two years from now and he could be gone.

My problem with Commanders is there's no good way to shorten it other than to call them the Commies. And I'd probably pick Commandos over Commanders as well.
<<<<

How' bout the " ders " for short ?
1 x
0 x

prophesizer
Seaman

Postby prophesizer » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:05 pm

Dude.....you are so spot-on, especially when you criticize those yellow pants.

You got me crackin' up over here... but it's so true. Back in the day, My father would

take me to the games in (the then) D.C. Stadium, ...... looking live at the greats like Sam Huff,

Sonny, Charley Taylor, Pat Fischer..... and....the gold color was ACTUALLY gold (a little darker

than the Saint's gold)...... and the burgundy was not a red (like it is now)....

the burgundy was so rich, at times it would appear as a dark, intense brown. You are one of

the very few I know of, to crack on those nauseating yellow pants. Thank god

we're seeing less of that now. Keep up the good work.
0 x
0 x

Farmer Ted
Lieutenant

Postby Farmer Ted » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:34 pm

I wish I knew who was so spot on. I'm taking credit if no one else does.
0 x
0 x

RI Skins fan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby RI Skins fan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:16 pm

Farmer Ted wrote:I wish I knew who was so spot on. I'm taking credit if no one else does.

HA! - and 5 times over as well ... :D
0 x
0 x
We're getting better - coaches & coordinators just need to get more out of the players we have

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

bigcmr
Lieutenant

Postby bigcmr » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:10 pm

RI Skins fan wrote:HA! - and 5 times over as well ... :D

Man talk about a hijack of a thread.
0 x
0 x

lorimike
Lieutenant

Postby lorimike » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:46 pm

Anone find it ironic that they picked " Groundhog " day to announce our new name ?
1 x
0 x

Return to “Commanders All #Commanders Room”