Redskins Quarterback Situation - Short, Intermediate and Long Term

Your new Redskins Fan Forum, Come on in and join the TRIBE! All REDSKINS, all the TIME!
VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Re: Redskins Quarterback Situation - Short, Intermediate and Long Term

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:29 am

Skins-R-Us wrote:OK, based on this interview there is no way in hell the Redskins should pick Kyler Murray... interview is the second video in the link.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/re ... -interview

yeah that was a mess. I do wonder about the Murray/O'Connell connection though...they did a camp together.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:14 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:Agree that 1 of the top 4 guys will be there when we pick. The mock I just put up today, I was planning to take Murray if he was there but we was gone. Ended up with Clayton Thorsen in the 5th...turned out to be a pretty decent draft for me.

i will be horrified if they take murray. i think that has the potential to be a disaster.

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:19 am

kbg wrote:i will be horrified if they take murray. i think that has the potential to be a disaster.

I'm very interested to see how/if Murray can play in the NFL, but I'd prefer he not do that on the Skins.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:16 pm

found this interesting. the bruce allen QB record. in all that time, and think of the draft picks and the guaranteed money we have spent, we had one QB with a winning record. smith.
i suppose that one could argue that we must have surrounded them with rubbish support at all levels but you'd think that even the law of averages would have given us a few more winners.
if you were a QB in the draft, you'd be scared stiff of hearing your name called by the skins.

The Washington Redskins' starting quarterbacks since Bruce Allen took over as executive vice president/general manager in 2010:
QB Games Record
Kirk Cousins 57 26-30-1
Robert Griffin III 35 14-21
Rex Grossman 16 6-10
Donovan McNabb 13 5-8
Alex Smith 10 6-4
Colt McCoy 6 1-5
Josh Johnson 3 1-2
John Beck 3 0-3
Mark Sanchez 1 0-1

lorimike
Hunter

Postby lorimike » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:37 pm

kbg wrote:found this interesting. the bruce allen QB record. in all that time, and think of the draft picks and the guaranteed money we have spent, we had one QB with a winning record. smith.
i suppose that one could argue that we must have surrounded them with rubbish support at all levels but you'd think that even the law of averages would have given us a few more winners.
if you were a QB in the draft, you'd be scared stiff of hearing your name called by the skins.

The Washington Redskins' starting quarterbacks since Bruce Allen took over as executive vice president/general manager in 2010:
QB Games Record
Kirk Cousins 57 26-30-1
Rex Grossman 16 6-10
Donovan McNabb 13 5-8
Alex Smith 10 6-4
Colt McCoy 6 1-5
Josh Johnson 3 1-2
John Beck 3 0-3
Mark Sanchez 1 0-1

Not nearly as scared as the fans will be with mid first round pick as a QB. We've been shell shocked by constantly failing at the QB position. But the drafted QB could look forward to a decent OL assuming they stay healthy for once and a promising running game. sigh

ILikeSonny09
Squaw Chaser

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 pm

kbg wrote:found this interesting. the bruce allen QB record. in all that time, and think of the draft picks and the guaranteed money we have spent, we had one QB with a winning record. smith.

Not if I thought it would eventually lead to an 84 million dollar contract lol.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:06 am

ILikeSonny09 wrote:

fair point.

Moe
Brave

Postby Moe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:28 am

QB Games Record
Kirk Cousins 57 26-30-1
Rex Grossman 16 6-10
Donovan McNabb 13 5-8
Alex Smith 10 6-4
Colt McCoy 6 1-5
Josh Johnson 3 1-2
John Beck 3 0-3
Mark Sanchez 1 0-1

I didn't realize he had been with the organization since 2010...yeesh, time flies.
Enough chit-chat, let's see how you like flaming garbage!

bigcmr
Hunter

Postby bigcmr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:28 pm

kbg wrote:i will be horrified if they take murray. i think that has the potential to be a disaster.

Specially here that has potential of a meltdown type issue.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:28 pm

always wondered if kirk bumping up his stats when it didn't matter was just with us or if it was him. was reading this about manning when a name popped up.
might not have been us.

Manning also spent a significant chunk of the season throwing in garbage time. He threw 90 passes on drives that started with the Giants holding no more than a 1 percent chance of winning the game, third most in the NFL behind Kirk Cousins and Matt Ryan.

Winnipeg_Skins_Fan
Buck

Postby Winnipeg_Skins_Fan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Not only that, two sport athletes can always "retire" from football to focus on their baseball career. I could see a situation where he struggled with the Skins and then quit for his baseball career. I'd let some other team take that chance.

kbg
Code Talker

Postby kbg » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Winnipeg_Skins_Fan wrote:Not only that, two sport athletes can always "retire" from football to focus on their baseball career. I could see a situation where he struggled with the Skins and then quit for his baseball career. I'd let some other team take that chance.

that is exactly a major part of why i have concerns. it would be such a skins move.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:39 am

I'm not sure how accurate the reports are, but a couple are circulating that we were potentially in the market for Joe Flacco. If true, that makes me really rethink on how the offseason plays out. If the FO is looking at outside QBs, then I would have to think that Andy Dalton/Teddy Bridgewater/Ryan Tannehill are in play. Maybe Case Keenum or Nick Foles too ??? Signing any one of those guys definitely takes us out of a QB at #15 pick.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:59 pm

^^ to piggyback on my above post. Looking into Flacco, to me, suggests for sure that Allen & Co are all in for 2019. Colt McCoy does not scream "all in " , so I have to believe that a FA QB is somehow in the cards...they wont risk "all in" with a rookie QB...not even one with flash like Kyler Murray, who I really hope we do not draft.

OCREDSKINSFAN
Squaw Chaser

Postby OCREDSKINSFAN » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:59 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:I'm not sure how accurate the reports are, but a couple are circulating that we were potentially in the market for Joe Flacco. If true, that makes me really rethink on how the offseason plays out. If the FO is looking at outside QBs, then I would have to think that Andy Dalton/Teddy Bridgewater/Ryan Tannehill are in play. Maybe Case Keenum or Nick Foles too ??? Signing any one of those guys definitely takes us out of a QB at #15 pick.

Dalton and Bridgewater maybe. Keenum if cheap and 1 yr maybe. Foles too expensive and a trade so no, Tannehill also costly and proven inadequate so no.

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:26 pm

OCREDSKINSFAN wrote:Dalton and Bridgewater maybe. Keenum if cheap and 1 yr maybe. Foles too expensive and a trade so no, Tannehill also costly and proven inadequate so no.

Yeha, none of the options make me get overly excited...maybe Bridgewater?? Even Bridgewater comes with his set of question marks. I like Foles but like you say, too expensive + trade. Keenum could be realistic, esp if cut and we can get him before FA. Never been a fan of Dalton or Tannehill, but Dalton has the Gruden connection....but I still wouldn't be wowed.
As far as the draft, only a couple of guys interest me honestly. All have question marks, but Drew Lock, Jarret Stidham, and Clayton Thorson are still my 3 logical guys, but none really gives us a leg up in Allen/Snyder/Gruden " Win Now" mode. All I know is that if we draft Daniel Jones, I wont be a happy camper.

bigcmr
Hunter

Postby bigcmr » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:32 pm

VegasSkinsFan wrote:^^ to piggyback on my above post. Looking into Flacco, to me, suggests for sure that Allen & Co are all in for 2019. Colt McCoy does not scream "all in " , so I have to believe that a FA QB is somehow in the cards...they wont risk "all in" with a rookie QB...not even one with flash like Kyler Murray, who I really hope we do not draft.

As long as it don't cost us draft picks I am for it. I would be happy with Dalton if Cincy drops him.

Blazewr6
Navajo

Postby Blazewr6 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 pm

I dont want a re thread! Either go with McCoy and tank the year away or Draft Daniel Jones or Drew Lock this year. We gotta find a young QB that can compete while on a rookie deal so we can spend some money on some talent at the skill positions. Our offense has been terrible since we lost Sean Mcvay and Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson. You gotta have talent at the skill positions to compete in this league!

Farmer Ted
Squaw Chaser

Postby Farmer Ted » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:26 am

I am so not excited about the Case Keenum era.

Winnipeg_Skins_Fan
Buck

Postby Winnipeg_Skins_Fan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:23 am

Farmer Ted wrote:I am so not excited about the Case Keenum era.

Agree that Keenum is nothing more than a bridge to the next starter. However there are some positives to the trade:
1. it was dirt cheap and at least low risk
2. it is very unlikely the piss away their first round pick on Kyler Murray
3. it is also unlikely they piss away their first round pick trading for Josh Rosen
If either #2 or #3 happened I would cancel my NFL Sunday ticket subscription. Now the Skins can focus on shoring up other weaknesses like LG, Edge etc.

ILikeSonny09
Squaw Chaser

Postby ILikeSonny09 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:44 am

Farmer Ted wrote:I am so not excited about the Case Keenum era.

Save it for the Where Do You Stand Today With Case Keenum? thread lol.

34Drive
Buck

Postby 34Drive » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:33 am

Blazewr6 wrote:I dont want a re thread! Either go with McCoy and tank the year away or Draft Daniel Jones or Drew Lock this year. We gotta find a young QB that can compete while on a rookie deal so we can spend some money on some talent at the skill positions. Our offense has been terrible since we lost Sean Mcvay and Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson. You gotta have talent at the skill positions to compete in this league!

You are absolutely correct. The common thread to winnng in this league is a strong passing game. It is difficult to win without strong play from the QB and at least one home run receiver.
“Randy, it’s coming at you.” Russ Grimm, 1983

VegasSkinsFan
Medicine Man

Postby VegasSkinsFan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:29 am

I am fine with the Keenum trade as long as the FO doesn't see this as the ANSWER. Cheap vet depth but we will still need to bring in a qb of the future and I don't care if its this year or next year...but I am fine with waiting until the 2020 draft. Lets keep building the team up...beef up the OL and get a couple more weapons on offense while also solidifying the back 7 on D.

Return to “Cherokee All #Redskins Tribe”